Chit Chat
Options

What do we think about this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/04/13/gwyneth-paltrows-food-stamp-challenge-is-the-most-gwyneth-paltrow-thing-ever/

Gwyneth Paltrow's $29-week food challenge.

Now I'm not a fan of Gwyneth's.  Never have been.    Mario Batali is the one who challenged her.  I'm not a fan of even doing the challenge, but at least people are talking I guess.

But lets look at what she bought.   7 limes.  Who the fuck needs 7 limes when you only have $29 to spend on food for 21 meals?   It's not an apple that you can use for breakfast or a snack.  They are limes.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: What do we think about this?

• Options
    Yeah, I had the same reaction. I mean, I love cilantro, but I would not put it on my must haves list.
  • Options
    So dumb. Volume-wise, that's probably all she eats in a week anyway. Not impressed.

• Options
    It's an interesting concept and more people should attempt it. However...

Nobody needs 7 mfing limes when all you get is $29 for the week. Seriously. "I'm a celebrity using $29 for a weeks worth of food... but I'm still a celebrity. LIMES."

She could've done far better with her money.

• Options

I saw that earlier, and the part that made me go wtf was what she bought for the $29. limes and cilantro might be nice as flavorings but not necessary on the limited budget. I can't imagine that is enough for a week's worth of meals.

The part that annoyed me was the backlash just on the fact that she participated, not even base o what she bought.  Other celebrities and politicians have done it so why jump on her? especially since she was challenged to do it by Mario Batali who I think they said sits on the food bank board or something. For the record I'm neither here nor there about her as an actress.  

• Options
    I don't like her in general. She annoys the shit out of me. And the crap she bought is so stupid it makes my head hurt. Not only the 7 limes, but the cilantro? WTF? 

I went through a period of time where I had to buy groceries with about $10-$15 per week. You don't buy hot peppers and fresh herbs and fucking limes. You buy shit you can actually live off of, like Ramen noodles, ground beef, a box of pasta, peanut butter, and whatever vegetables are in season and most affordable. 

The fact that she's doing this little experiment-- and is clearly so out of touch with what it even means to have so little money for food (not food accessories but ACTUAL food to survive on)-- is way too AW and gross for me. 
  • Options

Nobody needs 7 mfing limes when all you get is $29 for the week. Seriously. "I'm a celebrity using $29 for a weeks worth of food... but I'm still a celebrity. LIMES."

Not when you'd "rather die than feed your child cup-a-soup."

But seriously. What would you buy?

Bag of beans: $1
    Bag of rice: $1
    Pound of ground beef: $3
    Brick of cheese: $3
    Package of tortillas: $2
    7 cans of soup: $7
    Box of cereal: $4
    Gallon of milk: $3
    Bag of apples: $5

• Options
    I don't think I even buy 7 limes in an entire year, much less one week. What is she doing with them?! That's a lot of limes and I'm really just stuck on that part of this.

• Options

I don't think I even buy 7 limes in an entire year, much less one week. What is she doing with them?! That's a lot of limes and I'm really just stuck on that part of this.

Duhhhh they go in her kale smoothies.

• Options
    Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

I make a metric shit ton of pico de gallo through the summer (really, a metric shit ton is a valid measurement!), and I don't even need 7 limes for a week. I mean, I know she's in CA where produce like that is probably cheaper than out here on the east coast, but that many limes seems ridiculous. Of course, she didn't buy any fancy water so she probably needs lime to flavor the tap water we peons drink so she can stomach it.

ETF words are hard
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    I saw this on the news.  They showed a tweet by someone saying that Gwenyth should show every meal she makes this week with that limited amount of food.

I get the concept behind this challenge but sorry, some celebrities are just not going to understand. She bought that food only for herself (which wouldn't feed a normal person past 3 days, if that). Many people on food stamps are needing to feed a whole family with limited funds. So unless she took into account her kid (does she have more then one?) into this shopping trip she is doing it wrong.

I also don't buy that that is all she is going to eat all week.  How much does someone want to bet her ass goes out for meals during the week as well?

• Options

I saw this on the news.  They showed a tweet by someone saying that Gwenyth should show every meal she makes this week with that limited amount of food.

I get the concept behind this challenge but sorry, some celebrities are just not going to understand. She bought that food only for herself (which wouldn't feed a normal person past 3 days, if that). Many people on food stamps are needing to feed a whole family with limited funds. So unless she took into account her kid (does she have more then one?) into this shopping trip she is doing it wrong.

I also don't buy that that is all she is going to eat all week.  How much does someone want to bet her ass goes out for meals during the week as well?
    She's got 2 - Apple and Moses. One can only hope Chris Martin and JLaw have them during this experiment so they can eat actual people food.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    What is the family budget for SNAP? It has to be more than that.

That aside, I would pass out if that is all I ate in A WEEK. I agree with the rice and beans and the eggs. That is sensible.
  • Options
    larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    amelisha said:

When you subsist on what I'm guessing is about 800 calories a day, you can leave room in the budget for expensive but low-calorie flavouring. 

So dumb. Volume-wise, that's probably all she eats in a week anyway. Not impressed.

I came in to say a comment like this.

But when you're rich and famous for a living you don't really need caloric energy. People who do manual labor in a facotrie would need to eat all that and more for one meal. 

I fucking think shes so stupid and I would probably love the chance to punch her in her stupid face.

I totally buy that many limes in a week but because I like half of one in my gin and tonics.

I also just straight up eat lime.

I would not buy lime if I was on food stamps. When I was on food stamps it was ramen, peanut butter and wonder bread. I was 30 pounds heavier, as well. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    What is the family budget for SNAP? It has to be more than that.

That aside, I would pass out if that is all I ate in A WEEK. I agree with the rice and beans and the eggs. That is sensible.
    It varies. Here: 

• Options
    @lolo883, that's a good question. If I were only feeding myself, I'd probably just do:

2 bags of salad @ $4/each
    1 bag spinach @ $3
    500g of in-season vegetables (any) @ $3
    1 dozen eggs @ $4
    1 bag frozen fish @ $6
    1 jar salsa @ $3
    1 bag chickpeas @ $2

But that's pretty much what I eat anyway, although I usually have pricey protein bars for breakfast instead of eggs and those would obviously have to go, along with fresh herbs, goat cheese, spices, and expensive condiments like fancy mustard, white truffle oil, and good balsamic. So my diet would get a lot blander but not really change in substance (and I wouldn't get to be picky about which vegetables I buy or what type of fish/meat or whatever.)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

one problem I have is I could easy eat on $29 for a week.  Maybe I could do it for 2 weeks.  Long term is different.  So I don't really see this being much of a challenge.

Another thing is there are already non-gov't asst people who eat on that much.   I just recently (before this came out) started reading blogs on saving money.  There are families of 4 who have less then $400 per month budgets.  Break it down they are eating less then $29 person.  They are eating pretty well to from their menus.   

So then people like them come on and say "so fucking what? I don't got help I already spend that little.  So you can too."   Which start all other debates.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

You can get a pound of ground beef for $3?

I haven't been able to let myself purchase ground beef for awhile because it's gotten so darn out of hand with the pricing.  I usually spend about $30 on food per week.  But I coupon.  And I don't eat 7 limes in a week.  Who does that?
  • Options
    APDSS22 said:

I haven't been able to let myself purchase ground beef for awhile because it's gotten so darn out of hand with the pricing.  I usually spend about $30 on food per week.  But I coupon.  And I don't eat 7 limes in a week.  Who does that?
    Yeah, I am going to go ahead and LOL your grocery budget. Stupid NY Metro Area. This is so unrealistic for where I live.
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Has anyone heard of Leanne Brown's Good and Cheap cookbook? It was created based on the $4/day food allowance for those on tight budgets/on food stamps. It focuses on created healthy meals that will sustain someone on a limited income. 

I've donated to the project & tried some of the recipes. THIS is what Gwyneth should be promoting. People with limited incomes don't want fucking lemon "soup" "cleanses."
  • Options
    APDSS22 said:

In Michigan at like walmart.

It's meat but it ain't good
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    amelisha said:

@lolo883, that's a good question. If I were only feeding myself, I'd probably just do:

2 bags of salad @ $4/each
    1 bag spinach @ $3
    500g of in-season vegetables (any) @ $3
    1 dozen eggs @ $4
    1 bag frozen fish @ $6
    1 jar salsa @ $3
    1 bag chickpeas @ $2

But that's pretty much what I eat anyway, although I usually have pricey protein bars for breakfast instead of eggs and those would obviously have to go, along with fresh herbs, goat cheese, spices, and expensive condiments like fancy mustard, white truffle oil, and good balsamic. So my diet would get a lot blander but not really change in substance (and I wouldn't get to be picky about which vegetables I buy or what type of fish/meat or whatever.)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Just feeding myself, I'd have no problem. I love eggs so I'd probably eat that a lot. And veggies, rice and beans. I guess I'd probably cut out meat and other extras like goat cheese, herbs, etc. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    APDSS22 said:

Not the grade I would otherwise buy, but yeah, you can find ground chuck here for $2.99/lb.

• Options
    So on the whole 7 lime thing. I bought 6 yesterday and have used them all. We have a recipe that called for them all and the leftovers from last nights meal will last the week. Limes aren't that crazy. And it depends on what they are used for.
  • Options

Reminds me of Spent - there's a point in there where you have to go grocery shopping. It doesn't give you a specific budget but my guess is at that point in the challenge, $29 is about all you feel comfortable spending.

• Options

So on the whole 7 lime thing. I bought 6 yesterday and have used them all. We have a recipe that called for them all and the leftovers from last nights meal will last the week. Limes aren't that crazy. And it depends on what they are used for.

In context with the rest of what she bought, and expecting to eat ONLY those foods for 7 days... her particular 7 limes are cray cray.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards