Not Engaged Yet

Travel Tuesday - @southernpeach89 wins!

edited April 2015 in Not Engaged Yet
Some of us have posted about our upcoming travels, so I thought it would be a fun topic for today!

1.  Where is your next travel location?  What do you have planned?
2.  Where would you go if you could go anywhere?
3.  Where would you NOT like to go?
4.  Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share?

And for chat...

I had a rough afternoon/evening yesterday.  We got in bed around 8:30, so I'm feeling a tiny bit more rested today.  It's very chilly (in the 50's) and I really need to get in my run, but ugh!  I want it to be 75 degrees again!!

Re: Travel Tuesday - @southernpeach89 wins!

• @southernpeach89 - YOU BEAT ME BY LIKE 3.5 SECONDS!!  It must be pregnancy super-powers. 

• 1. Where is your next travel location? What do you have planned? No idea I'd love to do a small vacation in the fall, a few days in Cabo or Paris, but we'll have to see where we are in terms of TTC still
    2. Where would you go if you could go anywhere? Right now I'd like to take H to Paris
    3. Where would you NOT like to go? I'd be happy going almost anywhere as long as it was with H
    4. Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share? None I can think of at the moment

Anniversary

• 1.  Where is your next travel location?  What do you have planned?
    Louisville, KY. I'm going to the KENTUCKY DERBY!!! I have my dress and a hat... I can't wait! The weekend after that, I'm going to Phoenix for an MBA reunion.
    Tahiti
    India
    There was one time that DH and I were travelling from Phoenix to Denver to go see a soccer game and see one of my friends. I was VERY excited about it. Due to a snafu (probably my human error) we ended up at the wrong airport gate and missed our flight by about 30 seconds. The gate agent was VERY rude. I lost my shit, crumpled up my boarding pass and threw it on the desk in front of her. I started crying and walked away. DH and I had only been dating for three months at the time, so while I waited for him, I was sure he'd want to leave me. He said the agent didn't want to allow me to take another flight but he convinced her. We ended up only being delayed an hour and a half but wow, did I overreact.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

We are going to Maine to a lake house the last week of July with my family and San Antonio in October for my cousin's wedding! 

I would love to visit Egypt or Rome!

The Middle East.

Can't think of any right now.
    friends tv show funy
  • Hahaha @CocobellaF this is a better post though! I like Travel Tuesday more than Tired Tuesday!

In June we are going to Hammock Beach in FL with DH's mom and stepdad. I plan to just lay myself on the beach and get some sun and maybe a massage?
    I would definitely go to Europe. I want all their food and I want to see everything. I love European history too so I think it would be awesome to just experience it all there.
    I really have no interest in going to China or Japan. I'm sure they are incredible places but I'd rather go other places instead.
    Make sure to double check your passport before you buy airline tickets! Some countries require that it is valid for more than 6 months before you enter the country. I've learned this the hard way.
  • 1. Where is your next travel location? What do you have planned? Don't have one planned yet but it will likely be to San Antonio to see my baby sister. BF and I love to travel but we do it by the seat of our pants most of the time.

2. Where would you go if you could go anywhere? Oh boy, a lot of places but Ireland and Switzerland are up there on the top places

3. Where would you NOT like to go? Anywhere it is not safe for American tourists but honestly, I want to see the world!

4. Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share? First trip with BF was pretty much a disaster nearly running out of gas in the middle of nowhere, downpouring rain while driving, gross hotel night stay the first night, getting an unexpected visitor from Flo, getting an old map from the front desk with the hiking trails only to take the ONLY one that had been closed for sometime and getting lost due to the lack of trail/signs for reason previusly mentioned, falling down the mountain and dropping into a dug out water trench we couldn't see because the weeds were about 4 1/2 feet tall, etc. But we still had a great time and were able to laugh through the trip.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    1.  Where is your next travel location?  What do you have planned? I think we're going to Panama City for Mother's Day for a quick weekend trip. Then in July I'm taking an actual vacation to upstate NY for a wedding and my first ever NEY g2g. While we're up there, H and I want to do some rafting, and also visit Montreal.
    2.  Where would you go if you could go anywhere? Right now? Probably Tahiti like @cu97tiger. The beach and an over the water bungalow just sound amazing right now.
    3.  Where would you NOT like to go? I'm with @Loves2Dream. I don't want to go anywhere that isn't safe for American tourists right now, but I am having a difficult time thinking of places I'd never want to go to. Maybe Siberia.
    4.  Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share? I honestly can't think of any. H and I had a little bit of difficulty checking out of our HM hotel. We had pre-paid for all of our travel and somehow that didn't get communicated to the hotel. We were in a hurry to make our flight, it was 5 in the morning (meaning nobody was monitoring phones in the US for our travel company), so we just paid the bill and resolved the situation once we were back in the States. It worked out, we got our refund, plus an extra giftcard from the travel company for our troubles.

• Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    We're going to Disney in May for Star Wars weekends. 
    Friday - Arrive - Magic Kingdom
    Saturday - Breakfast @ Magic Kingdom, maybe jet over to Hollywood Studios for a few hours; rest of the day @ Epcot
    Sunday - Hollywood Studios - need to get there SUPER early before the park opens in hopes to get a fastpass for autographs
    Monday - Animal Kingdom AM and Magic Kingdom PM
    --That's the current plan

Alaska - would love to do a land and sea trip; neither H or I have the vacation time at work to do this right now.

Probably India - I think I'll just stick to the road most traveled; I know there are new adventures to be had and all.

Where do I start!?  I used to have the WORST vacation luck.

8th grade trip to Washington DC - snowstorm of the century hits and a 6 hour bus drive took 13+ hours!  Seriously, they had to open highways to let our school buses through.

Booked trip to DC again - 3 hours later it was announced that Pres. Reagan had passed away and his state funeral was the same days we had booked.  Our hotel room thankfully was booked at $84 a night went up to over $300 a night!  (The normal room rate was like $180, we had gotten some online deal).

1st trip to Disney - Hurricane Wilma put a damper on things (bad pun intended).  Lots of rain from all directions, lots of wind.  The day after they only opened the parks up to resort guests, so it made it not so packed, but then after everybody started getting their damage assessments - the Disney resort I was staying at went from 40% book to 100% booked!

EDIT: Spacing

Anniversary
    BF and I are going to visit my family in MN. I haven't seen them in five years and so we are spending Thanksgiving/my sister's sweet 16 there. I plan on it being a surprise, only my sister knows we are coming!
    As a HUGE Lord of the Rings nerd New Zealand is my #1

I have a friend living in Singapore right now (he's been backpacking across the world since he graduated college two years ago) and from what he has described, I want to stay far, FAR away from there lol

I don't travel much, but any of those road trips that included my entire family (both parents and seven kids) tops the list lol.
  • speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Colorado in June  -- bf's cousin's wedding and probably lots of hiking, biking, and golf
    Hilton Head in August/September  -- golf and beach
    Possibly one other place, not sure where yet
    Greece is number one on my must go list, followed by Australia
    Any country that is unfriendly to women/treats women like property.
    Story 1:
    My very first cruise, I spent the first day laying on the pool deck. I didn't realize how much stronger the sun would be and thought it would be a good idea to use tanning oil.  I ended up burning so bad that my skin was purple, and then I spent the rest of my vacation suffering from sun poisoning. Both of my sisters also had severe burns. I was able to leave my room after a day, but couldn't have any skin exposed to the sun. My youngest sister was actually put on bed rest until the second to last day of our vacation.

To top it off this was the same time Katrina hit. The ship was able to avoid the storm, but the waves were still rough. At one point the whole ship tilted and I watched all of the water pour out of the fish tanks. Did not sit well with my already weak stomach. 
    Story 2:
    2 years ago my bf and I got an amazing deal to go to Vegas.  It was a direct flight from Philly to Vegas plus 3 nights, 4 days hotel for under $500 total.  Well, it was an awesome deal for a reason... we flew with Spirit.  I read all the fine print so we were prepared for all the extra fees.  

Our flight was an overnight flight so we stopped at the airport bar and had a few drinks so that we'd both sleep on the plane.  The woman in front of us was a single mom with three small kids (an infant, a toddler, and a probably 5-6 year old).  Well the toddler could not sit still, and was screaming before the plane even took off.  At one point my bf and I were watching a movie on his ipad, the kid kept trying to steal it from in between the seats.  When we said no, he started throwing pretzels at us (the mother did nothing).  Then we tried sleeping since we were both drunk and exhausted; the mother decides to change the baby and toddler's diapers in her seat, and then put the dirty diaper in the pocket in front of her.  The rest of the plane ride all you could smell was poop.

So we land in Vegas, I'm now drunk, tired, and miserable. We have to wait an hour to check in the hotel (I guess all flights came in at midnight).  We finally get to our room and all I want to do is sleep, as soon as we turn on the lights we see disgusting stains on every piece of furniture/fabric.  We call the front desk to complain and they say they can't move us until the morning.  The next morning we were upgraded to a gorgeous room on the top floor and the rest of our vacation ended up being really nice. 
  • 1.  Where is your next travel location? What do you have planned? Next is our HM! We're going to Barbados for 10 days. We don't have anything except our flights and hotel planned, but I really want to do a swimming with turtles thing; I'm hinting really hard to FI that that would be really fun to do on my birthday! We've asked a couple family friends for restaurant and activity recommendations too.

2.  Where would you go if you could go anywhere? Fiji, Australia, New Zealand.

3.  Where would you NOT like to go? The scary parts of Australia where they have spiders the size of my head.

4.  Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share? I went to Cambodia a few years ago, and every. single. flight. was delayed. We were supposed to fly Toronto - Newark - Taiwan - Cambodia, but our flights out of Toronto and Newark were delayed so we missed our connection in Taiwan. We ended up getting rerouted though Veitnam to get a different flight to Cambodia. I think in total it was almost 24 hours of traveling, 4 flights on 4 different airlines. On the plus side, our flight from Newark to Taiwan had a stop in Alaska to refuel; we were supposed to do that in the middle of the night, but because of the delays we were flying into Alaska really early in the morning and got to see the Alaska mountain range all gorgeous and pink as the sun came up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• LizzyTish88LizzyTish88 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

We're going to Disney in May for Star Wars weekends. 
    Friday - Arrive - Magic Kingdom
    Saturday - Breakfast @ Magic Kingdom, maybe jet over to Hollywood Studios for a few hours; rest of the day @ Epcot
    Sunday - Hollywood Studios - need to get there SUPER early before the park opens in hopes to get a fastpass for autographs
    Monday - Animal Kingdom AM and Magic Kingdom PM
    --That's the current plan

SITB: I know I just went a month ago, but I am sooooo jealous!!

friends tv show funy
  • 1.  Where is your next travel location?  What do you have planned? Our next travel location is for the honeymoon. I don't know where we're going (I'm not planning this), but I know I don't need a passport and I suspect it's Washington, D.C.
    2.  Where would you go if you could go anywhere? One of my bucket list things is to backpack the major Civil War battlefields, except for Gettysburg because that's gotten too commercial.
    3.  Where would you NOT like to go? A sandy tropical island. Within two hours, I'll be done with my book, sand will be rammed into every orifice, and I will be irritated and bored.
    4.  Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share? None really. It's the blessing/curse of never traveling - no stories.
  • Where is your next travel location? What do you have planned? I guess technically our next trip will be backpacking somewhere for Memorial Day weekend. I want to get up in the Olympic Peninsula of Washington. I hear it's beautiful and my friend saw a bear! Also hoping to make it a 2-night trip. Never done that before, and we've never taken the dog on an overnight trip before either.

Where would you go if you could go anywhere? I'm gonna stick with my answer from the last time this was asked...... Alaska.

Where would you NOT like to go? Anywhere I'd be treated badly as a woman? But other than that, I dream of visiting everywhere. Diseases, poisonous bugs, whatever. I wanna go there.

Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share? On my trip to Costa Rica I stayed at an environmental reserve in the middle of nowhere. My stay started just before "green season" (aka, torrential rain) hit. There was a huge storm the night before I was set to leave, so when I woke up on the day I was leaving it turned out the road had washed out, down a cliff. My friend and I had to hike UPHILL with our baggage (mine turned out to be over the 50 lb limit) until we got to a point where a bus could pick us up.

@KeptInStitches - I know it's not a Civil War site, but I always loved visiting Little Bighorn as a kid. Have you been there?

• @alpacina, I have not. I'll have to look into it - it's much closer!
  • 1. Where is your next travel location? What do you have planned?
    We're going to Niagara Falls, Canada. I was excited at first because we were going to travel to a bunch of other places too (Football HOF, Amish country, Poconos, etc) but H decided Niagara Falls and a trip to Rochester would be enough. There's some museum he wants to check out in Rochester.

For our first anniversary we're going to Boston for the night, I'm really excited about that! Fancy hotel, fancy restaurant, one day at the NE Aquarium and the other day at the Science Museum.

I'm really missing our annual Mexican vacation but H promised me we would go next year so I'm trying to look forward to that.

2. Where would you go if you could go anywhere?

Anywhere that has a beach right now, long term travel includes Japan, South Africa, taking H to Europe (London, Paris, Rome, etc).

3. Where would you NOT like to go?

I would be open to go anywhere. My friend and her family travel to India every 10 years so I would only do that if I went with her.

4. Any bad travel/vacation stories you want to share?

I hate to fly, I hate being stuck at airports. One trip to Mexico, we had a flight from Cancun to Miami and from Miami to Hartford. So we get to the airport and the flight is delayed. We finally get off the ground and land in Miami, they shut the runway down due to lightning and as our plane is taxiing to the gate, so I get on the phone with the ONE hotel at Miami airport and was able to book a room, but then H was sure we'd get on the next flight to Hartford. Well, that didn't happen. So the hotel was booked, we had to sleep on the floor. Our flight out of Miami originally went from Miami to DC to Chicago and then to Hartford. Some rep at American took pity on us and booked us from Miami to Chicago to Hartford.

Then smarty pants me decided at Cancun airport to get chips and guac and a taco salad before we left cancun so guess who had stomach issues overnight at Miami airport and all the way back to Hartford? This lady.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • 1. Where is your next travel location? What do you have planned?
    We're going to Niagara Falls, Canada. I was excited at first because we were going to travel to a bunch of other places too (Football HOF, Amish country, Poconos, etc) but H decided Niagara Falls and a trip to Rochester would be enough. There's some museum he wants to check out in Rochester.

Who doesn't get excited about going to Rochester?? (Just kidding...) Make sure you eat at Dinosaur BBQ and Nick Tahou's (only go to the one on Main Street if it's during daylight hours). If it's nice out, check out Park Avenue... a neat area with shops and restaurants. Durand Eastman Park is nice, as is the town of Charlotte. You can go down to the beach and get an ice cream. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• southernpeach89 Thanks for the reminder, I need to renew my passport before I have the same issue.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @GoldenPenguin YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!! So close to joining the OMH club!

My next travel location is Houston at the end of the month. I'll be visiting friends I didn't get to see last weekend and watching my dad's chorus perform Friday night. The guys are apparently planning some shenanigans afterwards, so I'm excited. 

That's driving though. Flying, I'll be going to @hummingbird125's wedding in just 6 weeks!

I would go back to Boston, for sure. My list also includes:
    - Seattle
    - WWoHP
    - Greece

I'm not the biggest fan of beach vacations, unless there's a lot to do or fun people to hang out with. I don't think I would be crazy about a tropical island or anything. 

Hmm... being on lockdown in Boston for the manhunt during our honeymoon takes the cake. 

Also, my airport adventure last month when I went to visit @swazzle and ended up with a cancelled flight and then a 6 hour delay the next day which caused me to miss a full day of work. But, I had an extra day with Swazzle, which made it sooo worth it. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
    The Dominican Republic for my honeymoon! We're staying HERE and I couldn't be more excited. As far as off-resort activities, right now I'm looking at a half or full-day horseback tour, that stops at a sugar cane place and a cigar making place, among other things. But don't tell FI that we have to ride horses....
    Omg, too many places to list. I'd love to go to Paris. I want to do a South African safari. The Maldives. Ireland. Rome.
    India. Everything I've seen about traveling in India makes it look very dirty, crowded, and chaotic. Plus, I don't love Indian food.
    FI got food poisoning for one night of our cruise, on his birthday no less. However, I was fine so :-)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Back down to the Texas Hill Country to see my best friend.  Although Mr. H has floated the idea of us meeting someplace in the middle for his R&R...he suggested Dubai, which sounds AWESOME.

I really want to travel more in the Middle East.

I have zero desire to go to China or Japan or really anywhere in East Asia.

This is sort of a bad/good story...I have bipolar disorder, and so sometimes when I travel it exacerbates my mood swings.  When I was traveling in Turkey a few years ago, it happened and I swung into depression at the absolute worst time.  I wandered around in a fog and basically lost the whole day.  Good, though, because Mr. Historian (we weren't dating at the time) bought me a cookie and did everything he could think of to make me feel better.  It was sweet.  :-) 
  • @futuremrshistorian - It may have been a week now, but Travelzoo recently advertised REALLY inexpensive flights to Dubai.

• @Caseface5 -  I wasn't super excited about Disney (excited but not SUPER excited) until recently when they announced the celebs that will be there for Star Wars Weekends.  My last 2 vacations were at Disney, so I'd like some place different, but we have the annual passes...

@KeptInStitches - I know Gettysburg is more commercial, but it was really cool - there are some parts that they just don't touch.  My favorite thing we did was a horseback ride which covered Pickett's charge.

@Buddysmom80 - Football HOF is all of 40 minutes from me (though you're not going now)!  I got H 3 tix for a wedding gift (him, his dad, and his bro) - they have yet to use them.  Niagara Falls is fun, we stopped at Fort Niagara on a whim last time we went and I thought it was a really neat place.

Anniversary
  • I'm late but answering anyway cause it's still Tuesday!!

1) we are going to St Lucia in June for our honeymoon
    2) we just got back from St Augustine for the weekend. I would totally go back we didn't do everything yet lol
    3) I have negative desire to go to Thailand. There's a horrible movie about these girls that get arrested in Thailand and a cockroach goes into the one's ear from like 1998-2005 or so? Traumatized me. Lol
    4) I got ran over by a granny on Segway this weekend in St Augustine. I still can't walk properly without shoes. Wtf.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
    Honeymoon in Alaska! We're doing 2 nights land, 7 nights cruise and 2 nights in Vancouver. We may have gone a little crazy with the excursions though. We have a couple sea days so I'm hoping we will be able to rest then. We're doing everything: riding the train through the interior, visiting Denali & Kenai, exploring glaciers, whale watching, zip-lining, eating king crab all day, driving into the Yukon and taking a floatplane to Misty Fjords. It will be epic. I still need solid plans for Vancouver. We only have the hotel booked and need to research trip advisor more...but who knows we will probably be very tired at that point.
    I definitely need to vacation Europe again. FI has never been either. I would love to go to Thailand someday too. I will also most definitely vacation in Cuba once that becomes possible.
    I'm not super interested in Russia or traveling to the southern tip of Argentina.
    FI and I take a trip to OOB in Maine every summer. I can't remember if it was the 2nd or 3rd time we went, but after the first night I got a ginormous cold sore on my lip. It was so ugly. So basically, I was in pain and no longer wanted to go to the beach or anywhere. Even eating was painful, since I couldn't manage to avoid aggravating the cold sore. Abreva was not working it's magic either. And of course FI was bummed, but he totally understood. I haven't gotten a cold sore since that trip. It's crazy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards