DIY Wedding Forum

Should all the centerpieces match?

I love DIYs and crafts so I'm having trouble deciding what to do for centerpieces. I have several ideas ranging (see below).

So I'm wondering would it look weird if the centerpieces were different for each table? Should I maybe pick one and just do subtle variations with the tables like one have some extra flowers around the base of a vase and one have candles around it etc? Or should I just pick one for all of the centerpieces and then do a different one for like the sweetheart table, card table, and favor table?

I'm just trying to figure out what will look best.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Should all the centerpieces match?

• I think the centerpieces need to coordinate in some fashion.  And since you are DIYing them I would stick with two to three options.  So maybe take one idea, like candles, and pick two to three centerpieces that incorporate candles and your colors.

So like the picture with the glass bottles and votives and then the picture with the upside down wine glasses and votives would work well because not only are tying in the candles, but also the flowers and the wine theme (bottles and glasses).

Just remember that you should choose something that you are comfortable and confident making a bunch of.  And keep in mind your storage space as well.

• I would either do them all the same/similar or pick 2 that match. I would find it odd if some tables had giant elaborate floral arrangements and some had the small pumpkin. 

FWIW- I like the first one. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I like the first and third the best. And I think they should look at least sort of similar to each other. Just my opinion though. You're really talented!

• I think the centerpieces need to coordinate in some fashion.  And since you are DIYing them I would stick with two to three options.  So maybe take one idea, like candles, and pick two to three centerpieces that incorporate candles and your colors.

So like the picture with the glass bottles and votives and then the picture with the upside down wine glasses and votives would work well because not only are tying in the candles, but also the flowers and the wine theme (bottles and glasses).

Just remember that you should choose something that you are comfortable and confident making a bunch of.  And keep in mind your storage space as well.
    Agree, they should coordinate, but they don't have to be exactly the same. I'm not sure if anyone watches "19 Kids And Counting", but at Jessa Duggar's rehearsal dinner, it went along with her rustic theme, and all the tables had different centerpieces, but it still looked really nice as it was coordinated. 

And same with the second bolded, if you're DIYing, don't try to do something you're going to get stressed out over doing. 
  • I think they need to coordinate with each other. Like a PP said, a pumpkin on one table and a large floral on the other does not fit to me.

It also depends on the number of tables. I am going to have 28 tables. My florist told me between 3 and 4 different table setups would work. I am leaning toward 4 to do an even 7 of each type. If you are only having 10 tables I would think 2 types.
  • Thank you all. I like the idea of picking two that have a similar thing so I'm thinking I'm going to try making 1&3 and then 2&5 and choose whichever pair I like the most. I'm having a small wedding so probably 8-10 tables so it shouldn't be too hard to make whichever I choose, though 2&5 certainly look to be the easiest. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Coordinate all of them in some way/theme but they certainly don't have to be matchy-matchy...  Pick two or three elements (clear glass, flower, color and have each one contain one of those elements such that the centerpieces may all be different but somehow it all "works" together...
  • Our centerpieces will not match at all.  Each table is themed after a different horror movie so each one will have items that represent that movie.  One table will have a chainsaw, one will have a pumpkin with a kitchen knife sticking out of it, etc.  All the tables will have the same tablecloths, candles, and a scattering of dead flowers so they'll be tied together.  So, if you can't choose then sure, do all different ones!
  • I'm confused as to why you find our idea awkward?  Strange and unusual it certainly is but awkward? 
  • I'm confused as to why you find our idea awkward?  Strange and unusual it certainly is but awkward? 

I would find real weapons as centerpieces pretty odd. Fake weapons - cool. Real ones - questionable. 
    *********************************************************************************

• fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    I like the 5th one. So pretty. My issue I'm having is that I know what I want to do but don't want to shell out for real flowers and don't like the look of the silk ones at Michael's. *sigh* Good luck!!! Would love to see pictures of your mock-ups.

I would find real weapons as centerpieces pretty odd. Fake weapons - cool. Real ones - questionable. 
    That's where I'm at.
  • Thanks for those thoughts.  We never considered people being uncomfortable with the real deal.  We figured since they'll be seeing them up close and personal the real thing will be much more authentic than having just props.  Aside from the machete for the Friday the 13th table though none of them are functional since the kitchen knife will be stuck in the pumpkin and the chainsaw is from the 70s and doesn't work anymore.  Other than those three there aren't really any other weapons but we'll definitely have to carefully plan who sits at those tables so no one feels weird.  FHs band of friends from college have already "called" the Texas Chainsaw table so that's one down!
  • edited May 2015

Thanks for those thoughts.  We never considered people being uncomfortable with the real deal.  We figured since they'll be seeing them up close and personal the real thing will be much more authentic than having just props.  Aside from the machete for the Friday the 13th table though none of them are functional since the kitchen knife will be stuck in the pumpkin and the chainsaw is from the 70s and doesn't work anymore.  Other than those three there aren't really any other weapons but we'll definitely have to carefully plan who sits at those tables so no one feels weird.  FHs band of friends from college have already "called" the Texas Chainsaw table so that's one down!

You can probably get all kinds of fake weapons around that time of year and online. I'd definitely look for a fake machete. I'd personally be super uncomfortable sitting at a table with a real, giant machete and everyone (including people I don't know) drinking.

Also, I would check with your venue about this. They may not allow real weapons of any kind (even the chainsaw that doesn't work and the knife in the pumpkin) and you'd have to do some serious last minute stuff. Our venue had all kinds of restrictions - from weapons to glitter to live animals.
    *********************************************************************************

• You can probably get all kinds of fake weapons around that time of year and online. I'd definitely look for a fake machete. I'd personally be super uncomfortable sitting at a table with a real, giant machete and everyone (including people I don't know) drinking.

Also, I would check with your venue about this.
    They may not allow real weapons of any kind (even the chainsaw that doesn't work and the knife in the pumpkin) and you'd have to do some serious last minute stuff. Our venue had all kinds of restrictions - from weapons to glitter to live animals.

Part of the reason we went with the venue we did is that we can do anything we want as long as we don't damage the property.  No nails in the walls or anything like that.  We made sure our centerpieces would be allowed before we signed the contract so we're all good on that.

Glitter seems like a really funny thing to ban from a wedding ... then again it gets everywhere and lingers so I guess I could see a venue not wanting to deal with that type of cleanup.
  • Thanks for those thoughts.  We never considered people being uncomfortable with the real deal.  We figured since they'll be seeing them up close and personal the real thing will be much more authentic than having just props.  Aside from the machete for the Friday the 13th table though none of them are functional since the kitchen knife will be stuck in the pumpkin and the chainsaw is from the 70s and doesn't work anymore.  Other than those three there aren't really any other weapons but we'll definitely have to carefully plan who sits at those tables so no one feels weird.  FHs band of friends from college have already "called" the Texas Chainsaw table so that's one down!

A kitchen knife stuck in a pumpkin is a functional kitchen knife.  I'd take one look at that and be as far away from it as possible (aka, out the door).  If you know that EVERYONE on your guestlist is okay with stuff like this, kudos to you.  If not... I'm sure you can find a fake one.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Working or not, I can't see wanting to have a tool that's been filled with gas/oil and used to cut overgrown trees and firewood being displayed anywhere near my food. And definitely hell to the no to an actual machete near drunk people. Whoa.

A kitchen knife stuck in a pumpkin is a functional kitchen knife.  I'd take one look at that and be as far away from it as possible (aka, out the door).  If you know that EVERYONE on your guestlist is okay with stuff like this, kudos to you.  If not... I'm sure you can find a fake one.
    This.

Disclaimer, *about to marry a litigator* so I tend to think of things in terms of liabilities more so than I did before.  In any case, having legitimate weapons at an event where people are drinking smacks of liability issues.  Not a smart idea.  No idea if you are having children at your wedding but if so, this is a definite no.  

• This.

Disclaimer, *about to marry a litigator* so I tend to think of things in terms of liabilities more so than I did before.  In any case, having legitimate weapons at an event where people are drinking smacks of liability issues.  Not a smart idea.  No idea if you are having children at your wedding but if so, this is a definite no.  
    Absolutely not!  I don't care for children on a normal day and our wedding is absolutely no place for them.  We have a strict PG-13 age limit.  There's way too much adult language, humor, and horror images to allow children even if I did like them.
  • Of course the center pieces don't have to match.  I think a lot of different ones would look great.  BrinkyDink I love your idea of having weapons as centre pieces so unique and different.  
  • CsondraCsondra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    I think the weapon idea sounds hilarious. 

Our venue's main prohibition was glitter. Absolutely NO GLITTER. I doubt they'd bat an eye at a machete.
  • You can have a variety, but I would limit how man different ones you do and they should coordinate theme wise. I went to a fall wedding they had 3 different centerpieces. Pumpkins used as a vase with fall colored bouquet. Then they had laterns with a battery operated candle (for safety reasons) with some of the same flowers around the bottom of them. I forget what the third option was. But it looked nice and provided nice variety.
  • Several different centerpieces are fine as long as they coordinate in color or theme.
  • They just need to coordinate. I love when all centerpieces DON'T match. Variety is good
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards