Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Sugarless Groom- no groomscake

Hi all,
My groom is very health conscious and a part of his regiment says he can have no Cs (Cookies, cakes, candy, chips). He's going to only eat the tiny piece of wedding cake for the pictures, so I'm curious about the grooms cake. 

What could I do differently than the grooms cake for my healthy groom? I've though about asking Edible arrangements if they can cut out our last name letter (similar to the numbers for birthdays) with the pineapple and guest (mainly my groom) can eat off that. He would appreciate something non sugary. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Sugarless Groom- no groomscake

• Can he eat nuts?
  • I would do some kind of fruit and nut thing. 

For my H, I got a milkshake truck. Maybe you could do smoothies?

Anniversary
  • We didn't even do a groom's cake.

The Edibles sounds like a good idea.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Groom's Cake is a frill.  You don't need one at all.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Why not just cut out the grooms cake.  It isn't a requirement and no one will really miss it.

• We didn't have a groom's cake at all; I've actually never been to a wedding that had one. My H doesn't like cake so he just ate a little of the frosting off his piece and went back to partying.

If he's so health conscious, I imagine he doesn't eat dessert on most occasions. I don't see why your wedding necessarily has to be different, if it's going to be a hassle.

• I honestly did not even know a groom's cake was a thing.
  • If you want to do something try a fruit bouquet - look at Edible Arrangements for ideas.

Also, I agree with the PPs and don't think a groom's cake is necessary. We're not having one, and my groom has the biggest sweet tooth in the world :)
  • JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2015
    We didn't have one, I don't understand them (other than as an excuse to add an extra cake flavor or a cute design).  The wedding cake isn't the brides cake, so why does the groom get a special cake?   But I do like the idea of the edible arrangement, just make sure you talk to the people about the freshness of the fruit, I have had issues with them using underripe fruit in the past (but that might just be the location nearest me). 
  • We didn't have a groom's cake at all. It's not a must-have, so I'd just skip it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Our meal and cake was so good, we honestly couldn't even think of anything else that we'd want in smaller portions. I don't really see the point in it to be honest.
  • Thanks all for the responses. We're from the South so the groom's cake is a common thing. Having nothing there would be strange to see. I'm thinking about the fruit because the banquet hall is having both a cheese and fruit tray and fruit for dipping into a chocolate fountain. It may be overdoing it on the fruit. We may be nixing the idea. Sad though, I had a lot of really good cake ideas for him.

Thanks again!
  • As far as I can tell, most places stopped serving groom's cake when the bride's cake was renamed to wedding cake, and many people now find it somewhat exclusionary to leave the groom out of the wedding (cake), so it wouldn't be outrageous to just not serve a groom's cake. I've always wanted a savory course at the end of a meal, and it's a custom associated with men, so you could try that.
  • There are things like this that might work for you:

http://www.jensjustdesserts.co.uk/2013/05/06/watermelon-cake-a-la-jens-just-desserts-a-lil-healthypaleo-option/

Looks pretty and not as terrible as regular cake. I would be careful about leaving it out, that "frosting" doesn't seem terrible stable to me, but I haven't tried making one so maybe it is fine.
  • Thanks all for the responses. We're from the South so the groom's cake is a common thing. Having nothing there would be strange to see. I'm thinking about the fruit because the banquet hall is having both a cheese and fruit tray and fruit for dipping into a chocolate fountain. It may be overdoing it on the fruit. We may be nixing the idea. Sad though, I had a lot of really good cake ideas for him.

Thanks again!
    I mean, you can have the cake and he doesn't have to eat it. Just serve it to guests along with the wedding cake.
    *********************************************************************************

• We didn't have one.
  • Meatloaf with mashed potato icing and ketchup piping?!?!?!

Even my IFBB Pro-card-carrying bodybuilder friends eat cake and treats...  moderation, obviously, but you could have the groom's cake in the shape of a bowl of steamed vegetables and chicken breast LOL (a good baker can pull this off!)...

• I've never heard of this groom's cake stuff until the past couple of years maybe I've been under a rock but honestly its sounds kind of like something you would send to a groom in private rather than have at the wedding. I would skip this whole thing. A cheesy decorated cake will detract from a beautiful wedding but that's just my opinion.
  • what about finding a baker who does sugar free cakes you could have one made up if its made properly with like stevia or splenda it will taste good and if the baker has done it before they know what they are doing you could also the cake with just fruit inside and no icing they call them naked cakes just filling no frosting 
  • I wouldn't even spend the money on one. Maybe get a favorite dessert he wants. Pudding or something? Otherwise allocate that money to something else!
  • what about finding a baker who does sugar free cakes you could have one made up if its made properly with like stevia or splenda it will taste good and if the baker has done it before they know what they are doing you could also the cake with just fruit inside and no icing they call them naked cakes just filling no frosting 
    Unfortunately being allergic to Splenda - sugar free cakes aren't all they're cracked up to be and in many cases you have to ask "is what they're substituting the sugar/fat/etc. with WORSE than those ingredients in their natural form in the first place"..  Natural Sugar or Honey is far better for you than the artificial chemical cocktails!
  • We're from the south and not having one for the same reasons that PP stated. Pretty pointless IMO. 
  • Sorry to sound ignorant, but what in the world is a groom's cake??
  • Sorry to sound ignorant, but what in the world is a groom's cake??
    It's not ignorant to not know what one is, I think it is mainly a tradition in the south. The groom's cake is a (sometimes) smaller cake that is for the groom, since many people for some reason consider the typical cake for the bride. Most grooms cakes I've seen are not simple tiered cakes but cakes with designs that are symbolic of the grooms hobbies/likes.Some can be pretty tacky....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards