Chit Chat

NWR: Housewarming

We recently moved into our first home - yay!!!   We want to show it off to all our friends and family, so we'd like to throw a house warming party.   Here's the conundrum...we moved in March, have done some renovations and people have periodically come over.   Because we live in the north and want to showcase the awesome outdoor side of our new place with our house, we were thinking of not having a housewarming party until June.   Is this too far away a date to call it a housewarming?  Would that be side-eyed?   Should we just call it a party and simply show off the house if people ask when they come at that point?   All thoughts and ideas are welcome - thanks ladies!

Re: NWR: Housewarming

• I think that's totally fine. But I also think you could just not call it a housewarming and just say it's a a BBQ. 
  • Yeah I think you could just call it a party and not a housewarming. People will of course want to see the house. We never had a housewarming when we moved in either because they were so many things we wanted to do and it felt weird to have one so far away. We ended up just inviting people to come over for a party and let them see it that way. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think that's totally fine. But I also think you could just not call it a housewarming and just say it's a a BBQ. 

This.  I don't really like when people have housewarmings.  I feel like it is a way to ask for gifts without really asking for gifts since whenever I have gone to/attended a housewarming people always bring a little something.

But if I were invited to a BBQ I wouldn't feel the need to bring anything because it is random party you decided to throw.

• I agree with the PP's: barbecue or other party but not a housewarming. Housewarmings always felt a bit AW-ish to me anyway.

But definitely expect to show the place off to everyone regardless.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Agreed with PP's about having a party, but not calling it or thinking of it as a housewarming. At least, that's the standard to which I would hold myself. 

One of my friends moved into a house and 6 months later had a housewarming. I keep forgetting that she's lived there longer. I just made a comment about planting in the garden for the first time and she reminded me that she'd done it the spring before. Ha, woops.

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I think it's fine to have a housewarming --- and call it that --- in June. 
  • I'd just call it a BBQ or other party.

Formerly martha1818

• Delayed response, but congratulations, LakeR2014!! I hope this is a place for you to make wonderful memories. :)

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Thanks for all the help!  We'll move forward with the BBQ party and just show it off to everyone who comes.  Thanks @levieenrose!  We're already making it our own and love coming home to it (even with all the 'adult' work that comes with it). :)
  • We purchased our house last June and I threw H a bday party in August. There was still so much I wanted to do with the house that it took the pressure off having it completely ready but still a way to have friends and family over to see it!

Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We ended up having an open house about 3 months after we moved in to our new house. I wouldn't consider 6 months after to be a big deal (especially since you're waiting for good weather and a nice green landscape), and I guess I don't understand the dislike towards a specific "housewarming" party. I certainly didn't think of our open house in that sense, we just called it that because we didn't want to force people in to an official start time and end time for the party. We just said come by whenever, we're firing up the grill at 3 and will have apps and drinks available all evening. People brought gifts anyway. In my area, it's typical for people to bring a hostess gift (bottle of wine, napkins, small items) to a party anyway, but these were definitely geared more towards us being new homeowners.

• Congrats on the house!! Excited for y'all!
    *********************************************************************************

• I guess I just feel like when you start giving a title to parties then it starts to push pressure on those you invite to bring a gift.

For example, "Hey we are grilling up some burgers and dogs come by whenever you want between X and Y" is different then "You are invited to our housewarming party."  When the party has a title it just says "gift giving event" to me.

And even though gifts are never required or should be expected, but when you are invited to a birthday party or a housewarming party or an engagement party the titles just make them seem very formal (not the best word) and giving a gift is kind of implied.

• labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @Maggie0829 I guess I can see it from that perspective. The whole point of our open house though was we wanted to show off our home and welcome all of our friends to it for the first time. It was more than just a standard bbq I guess.

• We have friends who finished their house...probably close to a year ago now.  They had a super-bowl party at their house this year.  We all got "tours" of the house and it was low key and a lot of fun.  That's what I would do.  

OK I have to ask: is a housewarming party one of the parties you can throw yourself?  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• twoleighs said:

We have friends who finished their house...probably close to a year ago now.  They had a super-bowl party at their house this year.  We all got "tours" of the house and it was low key and a lot of fun.  That's what I would do.  

OK I have to ask: is a housewarming party one of the parties you can throw yourself?  
    Not really.  Which is why there are such varied opinions about this.  But, how would someone ELSE host a party to Warm YOUR house?  It just seems weird.

We bought a house in September.  We've had friends over in pairs occasionally since then, but we've yet to host a party.  I really, really want to host a party this summer.  We won't call it a housewarming because we'll have been in our place for almost a year by then, I don't want people to think they need to bring us something to "warm our house", and I think Grilling in the Yard, drinking Beer, and playing bags sounds a lot more fun than Housewarming.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards