Attire & Accessories Forum

Groom wants black tux.. I want blue suits!

So my fiance isn't requesting much AT ALL for our wedding, except that he has his heart set on wearing a black tux. Since this is really all he's asking, I want him to be able to wear what he wants.  After all, it's his day too. However, our wedding colors are navy and blush. I don't like the idea of him in a black tux and the groomsmen in navy suits. I think black and blue clash..  What do I do?! Gray suits for the groomsmen? Help! 

Re: Groom wants black tux.. I want blue suits!

• If the groom will be in a tux, I'd probably put all the guys in tuxes. It raises the formality of the event, but it won't look out of place, and certainly won't clash with your colors. Black and navy are actually quite complementary.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Black and navy used to be a big faux pas, but now it's a great combo. However, I do encourage you to rethink your overall scheme a bit...if you wanted light and ethereal with blush and navy, a traditional black tux isn't going to fit with that. But there are tons of ideas out there that show black and navy together--you can easily add in some blush flowers or accents and it will look great.

Here's some inspiration (obviously not all of these are tuxes, and not all fit exactly, but they give you ideas!)

• We did black tuxes with navy vests/accessories for all the guys and I think it looked great! The bridesmaids were in lavender (not quite the same as blush, but a softer, lighter contrast color), and everyone looked awesome together.
  • Black and blue are fine together. I say that if he wants to wear a black tux, he should be able to. I wouldn't put the GM in gray or navy, just have them all in a black tux. You can't go wrong with a classic. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If your FI wants to wear a tux then he should.  I am assuming that you are wearing the dress that you want to, right?  Then why can't your FI wear the attire that he wants to at his wedding?

And black and blue do not clash.  Don't you remember that black and blue dress?  Or was it white and gold?

But if your FI is in a tux then the rest of the guys should be dressed to the same formality and be in tuxes as well.

• I am assuming you are having an evening wedding?  Black tuxes for all the men will be fine.  If your wedding is in the afternoon, there is not a lot of difference in the look of a black two piece suit worn with a white dress shirt, and that is appropriate for a daytime wedding.  Tuxes mixed with suits in the wedding party is not correct.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Let him have this one. You can wear a blue suit. ;)

• SavNicole said:

So my fiance isn't requesting much AT ALL for our wedding, except that he has his heart set on wearing a black tux. Since this is really all he's asking, I want him to be able to wear what he wants.  After all, it's his day too. However, our wedding colors are navy and blush. I don't like the idea of him in a black tux and the groomsmen in navy suits. I think black and blue clash..  What do I do?! Gray suits for the groomsmen? Help! 

Did he have any say in "our wedding colors"? Are they really "ours"? If not, and they don't work with what he wants to wear (he's allowed to dress himself, like you are), you may need to make them actually mutual wedding colors.
  • edited April 2015
    Thank you to the kind people who posted nice suggestions! :smile:
  • Those happen to be my colors as well, and my Fiancé is actually wearing a navy tuxedo with a black lapel, it  looks great!

• If he wanted you to scrap your dream dress and wear a yellow one, how would you feel if he forced that on you? 

Let him pick out his own clothes. 
    *********************************************************************************

• If he wanted you to scrap your dream dress and wear a yellow one, how would you feel if he forced that on you? 

I think you misunderstood... I said I want him to wear what he wants, I'm just trying to figure out how to tie it all together. If I wasn't going to "let" him pick out his own clothes, I wouldn't have posted. I'm not forcing anything on him, I'm trying to figure out the best way we can compromise! :) 
  • SavNicole said:

If he wanted you to scrap your dream dress and wear a yellow one, how would you feel if he forced that on you? 

I think you misunderstood... I said I want him to wear what he wants, I'm just trying to figure out how to tie it all together. If I wasn't going to "let" him pick out his own clothes, I wouldn't have posted. I'm not forcing anything on him, I'm trying to figure out the best way we can compromise! :) 

Try to remember that black is a neutral and as a neutral will go with any color scheme you pick for your wedding.

And I am not sure what there is to compromise on.  He wants to wear a tux.  So he gets to wear a tux.  So really no compromise but rather just letting him wear what he wants to wear.

• SavNicole said:

If he wanted you to scrap your dream dress and wear a yellow one, how would you feel if he forced that on you? 

- ties
    - bow ties
    - boutonnieres
    - vests
    - nothing at all (keep in mind their clothes don't have to match your decor)
    *********************************************************************************

• You are the bride.  You get to choose your own dress, and (within reason) your bridesmaids dresses.

He is the groom.  He gets to chose what he wears (within reason) and,that determines what his groomsmen will wear.  He chooses - not you.

Classic black goes with everything.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Thanks everybody. I think we've got this one figured out! 
  • A bit late, but midnight blue is a relatively modern alternative to black in tuxedos that gained popularity due to the tendency of "true" black (actually an extremely dark green) to have an unpleasant green cast under bright incandescent light. You'll sometimes see it listed as "blacker than black."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards