Chit Chat
Options

Dressing your SO

2»

Re: Dressing your SO

• Options

H would let me buy his entire wardrobe if I offered. He hates shopping and would still be wearing 10 year old jeans and tshirts from college if left to his own devices.

He wears suits to work and I'll offer my opinion when he's going to purchase something new. I also help him get dressed in the morning because he has issues with color blindness. He sticks to mainly blues, greens, black, white and gray so usually he's pretty good about putting together an outfit but he still makes sure with me that his tie matches his shirt. He's gone to work with some interesting combinations on the days he hasn't checked in with me. I just tell him now what ties he can wear with certain shirts and he's gotten good at remembering, in case I've already left by the time he gets dressed for work.

Street clothes are another story. I have bought or picked out most of his casual clothes because he just wouldn't buy anything new unless prompted. I've gotten him to branch out and wear some stuff he normally wouldn't have picked out and he loves all of it. Granted, I'm not fashion-forward by any means but it's nice seeing him in something a little more put together than old jeans and ratty tshirts. He always ask me if his outfit looks okay before we leave the house because of the color thing and because he trusts my opinion.

• Options
    I had to literally teach H how to dress when we were dating. His clothes consisted of Hanes white crew necks, baggy jeans or Dickie shorts. But he had a valid reason.

His shoulders are much wider compared to the rest of his frame. One day we had a trip to the mall to find his "perfect tshirt". Literally the only place we have found is at Banana Republic where the seams hit him in the right places while not being too big. We were at the mall for about 2 hours that day, going in and out of stores. He now has practically all the colors. Struggle is real for him.

imageimage

• Options
    FI has a preppy type style, so I know what he likes and I'll buy him the occasional shirt or whatever, but as far as picking out what he wears? No.  He dresses well on his own and I trust his judgment.  He doesn't pick out anything I wear, or buy, and as far as clothes are concerned he's never bought me anything clothing wise, other than maybe a pair of shoes...
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

I can't really buy clothes for H because he's super hard to fit - tall and muscular with broad shoulders and a small waist. Tough to get the balance of fitting through the arms without being huge at the waist. He's pretty good at picking out his own clothes though, so the most I'll do is help with tie/shirt/suit combinations. He's always hesitant about mixing patterns.

He hasn't really picked out anything for me, but lets me know what he likes.
    I have this "problem" (ha) too. H is 6'3", muscular, and broad-shouldered, with very long arms and also thick (in a very good way) thighs. Big & Tall sizes will do for sleeve length but they also tend to be cut for men with thick waists, whereas DH doesn't have a big belly. So no way am I going to try to get him a modern-cut button-down shirt without him being there. It will either be too short in the arms or look like a sail. Pants are hard too, because many modern, slim-cut legs literally don't fit over his thighs (yeah, I have the same problem, funnily enough not because of too much muscle...)

I like to grab him cheap things from the thrift store that I know will probably fit, though - t shirts, ties, boots for just roughing it in the woods. He hates shopping and actually wishes he were easier to buy for so he wouldn't have to do it.
  • Options

I had to literally teach H how to dress when we were dating. His clothes consisted of Hanes white crew necks, baggy jeans or Dickie shorts. But he had a valid reason.

His shoulders are much wider compared to the rest of his frame. One day we had a trip to the mall to find his "perfect tshirt". Literally the only place we have found is at Banana Republic where the seams hit him in the right places while not being too big. We were at the mall for about 2 hours that day, going in and out of stores. He now has practically all the colors. Struggle is real for him.

I'll have to check out tshirts from Banana for H. He's not tall, but his chest, shoulders and arms are huge compared to the rest of his body, plus he's got a long torso. It's incredibly hard for him to find button down shirts for work and tshirts are a struggle as well. He normally has good luck with Old Navy but all of their tshirt colors suck right now and he's in desperate need of new ones.
  • Options
    H has been and continues to be a t-shirt and jeans/cargo shorts guy.  He also loves hoodies. He installs HVAC systems so his daily uniform are dirty jeans and a green work shirt.  But lately he has been wanting to dress "more his age" so I have bought him polo shirts and button down shirts to help him out but he rarely wears them.

H is also a shoe guy.  He loves sneakers and is super picky about them.  I bought him a pair for Christmas and he decided that they were too "young" looking, whatever that means.  So from this point on if I were to buy him any clothes they would be UA undershirts for work or hoodies.

As for H buying me clothes?  He pretty much never does.  The only clothes I think he has ever bought me were hoodies or comfy PJs.

• Options
    I help DH pick out a lot of his clothes. He is picky about the way things fit and the colors he wears. We have found the brands that fit him well so I can buy things without him now.

He doesn't really pick out my clothes or buy me something without me being there. He has bought me sweatshirts and t-shirts but not any fancy clothes or anything.

• Options
    I don't necessarily pick out clothes for FI, but he makes me go shopping with him when he needs something special like a new dress shirt or tie. I think he's scared of the salespeople. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    We usually shop for ourselves, but we'll give each other input.

My H's idea of shopping is finding a polo shirt that fits and getting it in 8 different colors. Although I can't really complain because he always finds stuff on sale. Sometimes he'll pick out a color I'm not too fond of but I'll just tell him to get it if he likes it. So he basically wears jeans/shorts and polos most of the time, which looks good. Now if I could only get him out of wearing sneakers when we go out...

• Options
    larrygaga said:

I buy all his clothes and pick out outfits for events. 

He prefers me to do it because he never knows what to get and hates shopping and doesn't care what he wears.

I model all the clothes and things I buy for him, to see what he thinks. He has yet to tell me he doesn't like it, except a few times to tactfully ask me if it fits comfortable (when it was too small and gave me rolls) 

I like to dress/wear my hair/ make my face up influenced by what I know he likes. Although he says everything is great, I can tell how he really feels. I also know that he thinks I'm at my best when I really like what I'm wearing, so generally whatever I'm into he's into.
    This is pretty much my response as well lol

Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't buy all of his clothes, but I do buy him shirts and sweaters a lot. It's just something that he cares or wants to spend money on, despite how much he needs it. He finally replaced his undershirts last week because they were falling apart. 

If he could wear tshirts all the time, he would. Usually when we're going somewhere he'll ask me what looks good or which tie goes with which shirt. 

I did talk him into getting some dark jeans to have a nicer jean option. He thought it made sense but was a little silly, until my girlfriends commented on how good he looked. Then he's all like ooh I need more dark jeans. Oh hello ego. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    dolewhipperdolewhipper member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited April 2015

cupcait927
    I'll have to check out tshirts from Banana for H. He's not tall, but his chest, shoulders and arms are huge compared to the rest of his body, plus he's got a long torso. It's incredibly hard for him to find button down shirts for work and tshirts are a struggle as well. He normally has good luck with Old Navy but all of their tshirt colors suck right now and he's in desperate need of new ones.
    If he does well with Old Navy, he'll do great at Banana. They're owned by the same company and I feel like their model size is very similar. 

Kahlyla and @lolo883 you ladies should try Banana.

imageimage

• Options

I buy 95% of H's clothes for him. It's just something that I love to do and he doesn't mind one bit. He does pick out his own outfits every day, though. If we have a special occassion he will ask for my input.

He never buys clothes for me. Confession: he doesn't know what size I wear!

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

I'm surprised how many of you buy clothes for each other. We never do. I mean, my husband is a "dirty mechanic" so all he wears is jeans and plain black Hanes t-shirts. If we go somewhere nice, he will throw on a flannel over his t-shirt (no, I'm not kidding). We went to a wedding a few weeks ago and we had to go to Target the night before and buy him dress pants and a button down shirt.

I mean, it works for me because that's my taste in men. I'm personally not attracted to men who wear polo shirts, slim fit jeans, square toe leather shoes. I have no interest in that. Give me a beard and a pair of Nike dunks and I'm turned on hahah.

He knows how picky I am with clothes so he would never buy me pants or a dress or anything like that. But he seriously kicks ass with buying me hoodies/ robes/ slippers/ scarves.

DH is about the same. Former mechanic, now a work-from-home techie. I appreciate a guy with style but it just isn't DH. However, he's had more occasions where jeans and old t-shirts aren't appropriate since meeting me. It's a combination of social and career changes. He doesn't have strong opinions and tends to cheap out on himself. He also hates shopping so I do it for him. I sometimes buy a pile of stuff and return what doesn't work. It's much easier for everyone that way. Plus, he's learning that he likes to dress up a bit. Not often, and he hates fancy shoes, but he struts around a bit when he knows he looks good.

He would never buy me clothes but has opinions on some of what I buy. He's made it clear that he hates a few of my dresses. He also has strong opinions on colors.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:

I'm surprised how many of you buy clothes for each other. We never do. I mean, my husband is a "dirty mechanic" so all he wears is jeans and plain black Hanes t-shirts. If we go somewhere nice, he will throw on a flannel over his t-shirt (no, I'm not kidding). We went to a wedding a few weeks ago and we had to go to Target the night before and buy him dress pants and a button down shirt.

I mean, it works for me because that's my taste in men. I'm personally not attracted to men who wear polo shirts, slim fit jeans, square toe leather shoes. I have no interest in that. Give me a beard and a pair of Nike dunks and I'm turned on hahah.

He knows how picky I am with clothes so he would never buy me pants or a dress or anything like that. But he seriously kicks ass with buying me hoodies/ robes/ slippers/ scarves.

Yeah this is us too. H is an electrician and wears jeans and work T-shirts at work. He wears jeans and work T-shirts after work too, LOL.

I keep a pair of his jeans in my closet for when we need to go somewhere where he can't wear jeans with holes in them. Otherwise every single pair of pants that guy owns will have stains or holes. 

We had to go shopping for him to buy clothes nice enough to go look at our wedding venue. 

We're not fancy people. Jeans with no holes and a Downy Wrinkle-Releaser-ed non-work T-shirt is about as nice as H gets.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I found out last night FI has a fashion board on Pinterest. He pins looks he likes. 

His mom told me when they had his first sister (he has two younger sisters), after she was born he asked if he got a brother or a sister and they told him sister and he said "Oh good! I have so many outfit ideas". He loved helping get her ready for the day. 

When his second sister was born he said "Well I love her, but I need to practice my mens looks. I guess we can do a stylish tomboy look...", they were pretty surprised when he didn't go into fashion.
  • Options
    I buy FI clothes all the time. Usually he likes what I've picked out, but we are both tiny so sometimes he needs to exchange for a different size. When I can, I just hold things up to myself because we have similar body types (other than the boobs!). 

He also buys me clothes sometimes. He likes me in things I usually wouldn't buy myself (because I'm a grandma at heart), so his purchases are hit or miss with me. I'm beyond pretending I like things, just because he has asked why I don't wear things he has bought me before.
  • Options

FI dresses like a literature professor. This is not me being snarky; he liked the wardrobe of our Medieval Studies professor and asked him where he shopped. So there's lots of earth tones, sweater vests, pleated khakis, blazers with elbow patches, oxford shoes, etc. I love my little nerd. :)

FI likes for me to shop for him, but at thrift stores. He loves a good deal and hates for people to spend too much money on him. I shop at thrift stores in rich neighborhoods that are more likely to have nice brands. He brags to people that I got him an "Obama peacoat" (knee-length black peacoat that he once saw Obama wear) for $7 at a thrift store.

FI doesn't dress me. In his perfect world, I would wear miniskirts and teeny-tiny cutoff shorts and other leg-baring clothes, but he respects that I mostly buy stuff to wear to work. I dress like J Crew had a baby with ModCloth--so many cardigans covering up dresses. I'm the "retro librarian" to his "literature professor."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    princessgracekelly said:FI dresses like a literature professor. This is not me being snarky; he liked the wardrobe of our Medieval Studies professor and asked him where he shopped. So there's lots of earth tones, sweater vests, pleated khakis, blazers with elbow patches, oxford shoes, etc. I love my little nerd. :)FI likes for me to shop for him, but at thrift stores. He loves a good deal and hates for people to spend too much money on him. I shop at thrift stores in rich neighborhoods that are more likely to have nice brands. He brags to people that I got him an "Obama peacoat" (knee-length black peacoat that he once saw Obama wear) for $7 at a thrift store.FI doesn't dress me. In his perfect world, I would wear miniskirts and teeny-tiny cutoff shorts and other leg-baring clothes, but he respects that I mostly buy stuff to wear to work. I dress like J Crew had a baby with ModCloth--so many cardigans covering up dresses. I'm the "retro librarian" to his "literature professor."

So much yes to how you dress. FI wishes I dressed more like a 16-year-old Urban Outfitters model, but I just want to be
    comfortable and not have to worry about whether or not my ass is covered when I am at work or out walking around. Cardigans are my life.
  • Options
    @princessofgenovia that is hilarious and adorable

• Options
    edited April 2015
    abcdevonn said:

FI dresses like a literature professor. This is not me being snarky; he liked the wardrobe of our Medieval Studies professor and asked him where he shopped. So there's lots of earth tones, sweater vests, pleated khakis, blazers with elbow patches, oxford shoes, etc. I love my little nerd. :)

FI likes for me to shop for him, but at thrift stores. He loves a good deal and hates for people to spend too much money on him. I shop at thrift stores in rich neighborhoods that are more likely to have nice brands. He brags to people that I got him an "Obama peacoat" (knee-length black peacoat that he once saw Obama wear) for $7 at a thrift store.

FI doesn't dress me. In his perfect world, I would wear miniskirts and teeny-tiny cutoff shorts and other leg-baring clothes, but he respects that I mostly buy stuff to wear to work. I dress like J Crew had a baby with ModCloth--so many cardigans covering up dresses. I'm the "retro librarian" to his "literature professor."

So much yes to how you dress. FI wishes I dressed more like a 16-year-old Urban Outfitters model, but I just want to be comfortable and not have to worry about whether or not my ass is covered when I am at work or out walking around. Cardigans are my life.

____________________________Boxing match____________________

Exactly! I have, in "Bang Bang" terms, a "booty like a Cadillac," and so dresses tend to have a "lo-high" thing going on because my butt needs a lot of fabric to cover it. FI likes cutoff jean shorts that look cute on teeny-tiny Coachella girls, but those shorts take me into "People of Walmart" territory.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

abcdevonn said:

So much yes to how you dress. FI wishes I dressed more like a 16-year-old Urban Outfitters model, but I just want to be comfortable and not have to worry about whether or not my ass is covered when I am at work or out walking around. Cardigans are my life.

Exactly! I have, in "Bang Bang" terms, a "booty like a Cadillac," and so dresses tend to have a "lo-high" thing going on because my butt needs a lot of fabric to cover it. FI likes cutoff jean shorts that look cute on teeny-tiny Coachella girls, but those shorts take me into "People of Walmart" territory.

Yup! Same here. Nothing can control this booty.
  • Options

abcdevonn said:

ME TOO. I have the hardest time finding clothes that fit my waist and butt. Shorts are huge struggle for me, which sucks because they have some really cute ones. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

jenna8984 said:

Yeah this is us too. H is an electrician and wears jeans and work T-shirts at work. He wears jeans and work T-shirts after work too, LOL.

I keep a pair of his jeans in my closet for when we need to go somewhere where he can't wear jeans with holes in them. Otherwise every single pair of pants that guy owns will have stains or holes. 

We had to go shopping for him to buy clothes nice enough to go look at our wedding venue. 

We're not fancy people. Jeans with no holes and a Downy Wrinkle-Releaser-ed non-work T-shirt is about as nice as H gets.
    Fi works on a golf course so is usually hot and sweaty and dirty at work but likes to dress nice outside of work.

I'm going to steal this idea and hide a nice pair of jeans and khakis in my closet!

• Options
    I buy him t-shirts sometimes because I know his t-shirt style. I thought about buying him chefwear, too, for his birthday last year - but it would have been my entire birthday-present budget, and it sucks to get practical stuff only for your birthday. So I didn't. Good chefwear is freaking expensive, yo.

I went shopping with him when he bought his suit. It's a cheap-ass suit, I think we spent just over $100 on it all told, but we spent about 2 hours trying on different jackets and pants and trying to decide which one looked the most well fitted.

He isn't really one to compliment my clothes. I'll ask him if something looks okay for a thing we're doing (usually church with his parents), and he'll tell me "Yeah, you look fine," or "No, maybe this other thing would look better" but I don't get unsolicited comments. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

I found out last night FI has a fashion board on Pinterest. He pins looks he likes. 

His mom told me when they had his first sister (he has two younger sisters), after she was born he asked if he got a brother or a sister and they told him sister and he said "Oh good! I have so many outfit ideas". He loved helping get her ready for the day. 

When his second sister was born he said "Well I love her, but I need to practice my mens looks. I guess we can do a stylish tomboy look...", they were pretty surprised when he didn't go into fashion.
    This is unbelievably adorable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards