Honeymoon Discussions

I would LOVE some recommendations!

edited April 2015 in Honeymoon Discussions
Hi Ladies! LOOOOONG time lurker here (we're talking years) and I FINALLY have a reason to get on here and get my hands dirty! With reading for years, I thought I would be so well armed with information that I would be good to go. In all rights, I am, thanks to you guys. But for some reason I never gave much thought to the Honeymoon. So here I am, clueless and searching for suggestions from people who have more knowledge and travel a lot more than i do, you! I would so much appreciate anything that you have to throw at me, i have listed below some of the things we am looking for. Thanks in advance!!!! 

1. We will be getting married in March of 2016 (date will be officially set next week)
2. We will be travelling from Houston, TX
3. As of right now I am pushing for a week and a half Honeymoon. 
4. Some of the things I want: tropical beach (Caribbean, Bahamas, etc), all inclusive resort (no kids). Some of the things he wants: to be able to do things other then lay on a beach for 10 days (zip lining, excursions,waterfalls, hiking, etc) and he absolutely wants to be able to play some golf while we are there.  

I know there are other things that you guys are going to think about asking me as I know I have probably left somethings out, but any help or guidance you can give us would be so much appreciated. 

Thank you!! 

Re: I would LOVE some recommendations!

• What is your budget?

Off the cuff, i'll suggest St. Lucia - it's got a beautiful landscape, there are plenty of adults-only AIs there, and there's lots of stuff to do (golfing, hiking, zip lining, boat trips, etc).

Are you committed to going on the honeymoon right after the wedding or are you willing to postpone?  I ask because March-April is the High Season in the Caribbean (due to spring breaks) so you would be able to stretch your budget more if you were willing/able to go in late April/early May.

• Secrets Maroma Beach. We just went in late March for our honeymoon. Excellent food, NO KIDS :) and a beautiful beach.

We did an excursion through Edventure Tours and would HIGHLY recommend them!! We went ziplining, swimming in cenotes, and snorkeling with sea turtles. It kept DH super happy because while he was enjoying the beach, he loved having some activities to look forward to.

I can't advise on the golf situation at SMB but if you check Trip Advisor there are reviews.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thank you ladies! Not 100% committed to going right after, but I'm thinking it's going to be later in March anyway (I kind of want to wait until the time change). As far as budget goes, we haven't sat down and set an exact amount, but I would guess it would be anywhere between 5-8K. 
  • Definitely look into DR.
  • edited April 2015
    I'm not necessarily strongly recommending it but you may want to look into Puerto Rico.  There are two outlying islands - Vieques and Culebra - that are part of Puerto Rico that have incredible beaches.  Vieques and the main island have bioluminescent bays that are really cool.  The main island has a rain forest that is probably good for hiking and waterfalls.  There are some cool sites, including old forts, in Old San Juan.

I had a good time when I visited with friends.  It's not necessarily at the top of my honeymoon recommendation list but it came to mind while reading your post.
    Michael - The Honeymoon Guy  http://thehoneymoonguy.com
    Guiding you to a champagne honeymoon on a beer budget!

• Agree with @climbingwife look into DR! My FI and I booked a trip to Secrets Royal Beach and 8 days 7 nights cost us $4,200.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think $5-8k would go pretty far at most AIs in the Caraibbean.  Not enough to go to Hawaii or anything, but the Caraibbean should work out pretty well.

I will warn you - March 27 is Easter in 2016.  Which means that the weeks immediately before and immediately after that wekeend will be the businest and most expensive weeks to travel to the Caribbean - or anywhere really.  Waiting even one week later (like second week of April) will probably save you a lot of money - there is generally a slow period after spring break until late May, and you can get better prices then.  I'd still suggest St. Lucia because there are a lot of options and a lot of things to do there.  Also, the landscape looked a lot like Hawaii to us, which we liked better than the standard flat Caribbean island (Bahamas, Jamaica, etc).

Go to the library and take out a few travel guides to get some idea of the non-beachy things to do in a few locations.  That will help you narrow down the field.

• delujm0 said:

I think $5-8k would go pretty far at most AIs in the Caraibbean.  Not enough to go to Hawaii or anything, but the Caraibbean should work out pretty well.

I will warn you - March 27 is Easter in 2016.  Which means that the weeks immediately before and immediately after that wekeend will be the businest and most expensive weeks to travel to the Caribbean - or anywhere really.  Waiting even one week later (like second week of April) will probably save you a lot of money - there is generally a slow period after spring break until late May, and you can get better prices then.  I'd still suggest St. Lucia because there are a lot of options and a lot of things to do there.  Also, the landscape looked a lot like Hawaii to us, which we liked better than the standard flat Caribbean island (Bahamas, Jamaica, etc).

Go to the library and take out a few travel guides to get some idea of the non-beachy things to do in a few locations.  That will help you narrow down the field.

Not necessarily true about Hawaii. My mom (travel agent) found us 6 nights in Kauai with a rental car for $3,000. Food would have been extra but still well within that budget.

Great points about Easter week!

• Oh yeah, Easter week is pretty crazy in DR from what I've been told. Our close friends grew up there.
  • Have you thought about a cruise??  I know several leave from Texas, and they could give you the option of lazy beach/pool days along with fun adventurer excursions for the fun stuff.  Not sure how well you could fit in golf though.  

• We did 7 nights at the Colonial Majestic in DR and had a blast. $3300 for both of us including flights from the west coast, and two rounds of golf each. We also did a zip line tour and stayed on the adults only side of the resort.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thank every one of you for taking the time to reply to my post! I'm going to looking into everything posted here! 
  • edited June 2015
    I have been to the DR three times (three different resorts) and loved it! I stayed at Secrets Royal Beach, Majestic Elegance and Sanctuary Cap Cana. Feel free to PM me if you want info on any of them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards