Pre-wedding Parties

MOB and MOG Bridal Shower planning troubles.

So my mom and future MIL as well as my MOH are planning my bridal shower. The shower is in May and they've been planning since January. Since the beginning they have NOT been able to get along. I hear one bit of gossip from my MOH and another from my own mom. My MIL is trying to stay out of the drama but for a number of things is in the center of it. Now she's pulling out of the planning pretty much entirely because my mom has refused to let go of some things or compromise. Regardless I am so sick of hearing about the things that are or are not being planned for the shower. It's stressing me out and makes me not even want to attend since it doesn't even sound like it will be a happy event. Has anyone else had this issue?? Do you have a way to resolve? I just want my MIL and mom to get along and for this to not turn into a burden. Help!

Re: MOB and MOG Bridal Shower planning troubles.

• Anytime someone comes to you to complain about so and so put your hand up to stop them from talking and then say "I don't want to hear about it.  This is between you and X, so please leave me out of it."  Rinse and repeat as necessary.

• "I'm sorry, but you guys need to work this out without me." Bean dip as necessary. 

• "As I'm not involved in planning this, I shouldn't be hearing about it. It's something you'll have to work out between yourselves."
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    In many places, it is considered improper from either the MOB or the MOG to host a bridal shower.   It is a bit gift-grabby.
    My mother and my MIL hated each other since before I was born.  They lived two blocks from each other, and they didn't speak.  Fortunately, we lived 1100 miles from them.  We refused to listen to phone calls of complaint from either of them.  We got very good at hanging up.
    Once the first grandchild arrived, we made it clear that if they wanted to see us, they needed to behave.  We left early during our annual visit if they didn't.
    They never reconciled.  We outlived them.
    Good luck.  I would cancel that shower.  If they can't get along, then they don't get to have the party.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • fsc2010 said:

So my mom and future MIL as well as my MOH are planning my bridal shower. The shower is in May and they've been planning since January. Since the beginning they have NOT been able to get along. I hear one bit of gossip from my MOH and another from my own mom. My MIL is trying to stay out of the drama but for a number of things is in the center of it. Now she's pulling out of the planning pretty much entirely because my mom has refused to let go of some things or compromise. Regardless I am so sick of hearing about the things that are or are not being planned for the shower. It's stressing me out and makes me not even want to attend since it doesn't even sound like it will be a happy event. Has anyone else had this issue?? Do you have a way to resolve? I just want my MIL and mom to get along and for this to not turn into a burden. Help!

"This is not my issue, you are adults, sort it out yourselves. This is the last I want to hear about it." If it persists, repeat as necessary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards