Chit Chat
Options

Adulting: Retirement

124»

Re: Adulting: Retirement

• Options
    You do what you have to do to secure a comfortable future, at least we do.. FI just left this morning for ND and will be gone until November. Construction market just isn't great where we live so he goes where the work is. Yes, he could work from here and we would be fine, but going over there gives us an extra bump to save for our futures and the comfort of not living pay check to pay check. 

His brother also had the opportunity to go over there and make good money to get ahead, he didn't like doing it so he stopped and is still going more into debt. Nobody likes being away from family or living in a place like that, but we don't want to be strapped forever so we are sacrificing now. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

You do what you have to do to secure a comfortable future, at least we do.. FI just left this morning for ND and will be gone until November. Construction market just isn't great where we live so he goes where the work is. Yes, he could work from here and we would be fine, but going over there gives us an extra bump to save for our futures and the comfort of not living pay check to pay check. 

His brother also had the opportunity to go over there and make good money to get ahead, he didn't like doing it so he stopped and is still going more into debt. Nobody likes being away from family or living in a place like that, but we don't want to be strapped forever so we are sacrificing now. 
    Now I have Wyclef going through my head... :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited April 2015

WTF with the boxes??? edit- okay they showed up when I posted...

DH and I have "lived" together since 2006, but that just means we own a home together. Since 2006, we've probably lived together a total of 3 years, none of it consecutive. We did live all of 2007 together and June 2012-October 2013 together. The rest of the time is just a month here or there together. We were married in August 2012, most of our marriage as been apart.

We do it not just for the money, but because our careers are important to us. Honestly, most of our family/friends think we are insane and do not understand our choices or why we even chose to marry. Not everyone can do this for various reasons (family obligations, health, etc.), but we are blessed that we can support each other's goals in this way. I will say it was certainly not easy during my chemo, but I also thrive on having space when I'm ill.

• Options

WTF with the boxes??? edit- okay they showed up when I posted...

DH and I have "lived" together since 2006, but that just means we own a home together. Since 2006, we've probably lived together a total of 3 years, none of it consecutive. We did live all of 2007 together and June 2012-October 2013 together. The rest of the time is just a month here or there together. We were married in August 2012, most of our marriage as been apart.

We do it not just for the money, but because our careers are important to us. Honestly, most of our family/friends think we are insane and do not understand our choices or why we even chose to marry. Not everyone can do this for various reasons (family obligations, health, etc.), but we are blessed that we can support each other's goals in this way. I will say it was certainly not easy during my chemo, but I also thrive on having space when I'm ill.

We hear that a lot as well. We both want to succeed in our careers and for him right now that means getting the experience he needs which takes him to other places. We have done the same as you since 2009, we have never had a summer together but it works for us and after he does this a couple more years we should be comfortable financially and with his experience to land in the same state for a whole year! It will feel good when it happens, for now we make the most of the time we do have together. Him being away also made it easier for me to decide to do almost 4 months over seas for work last year which ROCKED! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards