Chit Chat

Do you like your job?

2»

Re: Do you like your job?

• I am a stay at home mom. It is definitely my job. It really hit me this weekend what a challenging one it is this weekend when I came down with a nasty cold. I don't get sick leave. Sure, my H can pick up a shift for me (we have a newborn, so I'm talking a middle of the night feeding), but he works full time, so he also needs his sleep. 

I'm lucky to be able to stay at home (sort of...in my field, the next step in my career would either mean moving--not an option, since H has a good job--or working for minimum wage, which would not cover the cost of child care. Any other run of the mill job I could get would break us even on childcare), but I don't know if I LOVE it. We were over at a friend's house last night and I didn't want to leave, because I never get to talk to other people. But as I'm writing this I'm in my bathrobe sipping coffee at 11:30 on a Monday. It has its perks.
  • Right now, I love my job. I love my company, my coworkers and my clients (for the most part). I ended up working in health and life insurance, which is a far cry from I ever thought I'd be doing. Is every day the best day ever? No, but no job is going to be awesome every day.

Before I got this job, I worked for another company doing the same thing. I was making crappy money, had to work a second part time job to make sure my bills got paid and would wake up and cry in bed, knowing that I had to work 12+ hours at two shitty jobs for the next however many days. It was an absolutely awful experience and I am so thankful that my new boss found me on LinkedIn and offered me the job I have now.

Even though this isn't my ideal profession (went to school for politicial science and english), I've found that I'm pretty good at it and I'm finally being appreciated by current employer and have been given opportunities to move up, which I've taken. I don't necessarily want my boss's job (director) or to be a sales person, but luckily there's other room for advancement that would allow me to continue to challenge myself, make more money and not be completely consumed by work. It's really the perfect balance.

My advice is that you do deserve a job that you are reasonably happy with. Not every day will be sunshine and rainbows but you shouldn't dread going to work. I spent far too long at a job that was making me miserable every single day and I wish I had gotten out sooner. You don't necessarily have to LOVE what you do but being content isn't asking for too much.

• RE: Raises. We have yearly performance reviews on a scale of 1-5. 3 is "meets expectations" and the majority of the employees fall into that. You have to work your butt off for a 4, and if you get a 5, that means you're perfect and frankly should be given a promotion if any are available that you qualify for.
    Your rating is tied to a raise. So, people are doing just fine get 2-3% which is basically cost of living. If you work harder and earn a 3.5 or 4, you get 3.5% - 4% accordingly, which is more of a "raise."

It's a long story but I was more or less supposed to be promoted last year. It didn't happen, so I negotiated with my boss. Kept my title, got more responsibility and a cool 6% raise. Happy! 

• amelisha said:

amelisha said:

This is kind of a random question, but I've seen it mentioned a few times on various job-related topics:

What's a "cost of living adjustment"? Do you get, like, a 1-2% raise every year? Is that what it is?

That's what it is for me, yes.

That's just so crazy to me. I mean, I've always just considered that a "raise", not a non-raise cost-of-living-adjustment.

So generally people get both a COL raise AND a "regular" raise? That seems crazy to me!
    I'm not sure about generally, but my organization provides the COL raises as a matter of course and then also offers "regular" raises based on performance. What that means in a practical sense is that I'm guaranteed at least 1% but it can of course be higher if I'm getting a raise based on my performance review,

This year, we're merging and it's all very complicated so everyone is only getting their COL on April 1st, but they'll be readjusting us once they've figured out structure and the new pay bands moving forward, so I'll probably get a little bump later in the year.
    I work for local government and a COLA raise is something you get when it gets more expensive to live in the town I work in. Last year we got 3%. This is a non-merit based raise so everyone employed by the town got this raise. Some people can get a merit-based raise as well. 

• RE: Raises. We have yearly performance reviews on a scale of 1-5. 3 is "meets expectations" and the majority of the employees fall into that. You have to work your butt off for a 4, and if you get a 5, that means you're perfect and frankly should be given a promotion if any are available that you qualify for.

Your rating is tied to a raise. So, people are doing just fine get 2-3% which is basically cost of living. If you work harder and earn a 3.5 or 4, you get 3.5% - 4% accordingly, which is more of a "raise."

It's a long story but I was more or less supposed to be promoted last year. It didn't happen, so I negotiated with my boss. Kept my title, got more responsibility and a cool 6% raise. Happy! 

That's how it works with my company as well. I ended up getting a 5% raise last summer and my boss made it clear that she doesn't do that often - normally it's 2-3%. H gets a COL raise regardless of performance and any additional raise is dependent upon his annual review.

• Our company has financial goals (communicated to managers and above) of maxing out at 2% raises. So if they have an employee who exceeds expectations, they have to balance out their raise allocation to give that employee some extra bread.

@JennyColada - it depends on your company and area, but a cost of living adjustment is basically saying "you're doing the same job and inflation is what it is, so we're adjusting your salary to keep up with inflation". If companies don't do that, their salaries will eventually lag other competitors and they lose good people. In the recession, unemployment was so high that companies didn't "have" to do this, so they didn't.. Now it's more of a thing since the economy is coming back. So 1-2% is basically keeping up with inflation and the Jones's. Anything above that is an actual raise.
    *********************************************************************************

• JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    I am a first year attorney in NYC "Biglaw."

Short answer: yes, basically.  I'm lucky.

Long answer: There are trade-offs.
    Pros: awesome salary, great perks like free overtime meals and taxis home, interesting work, smart and nice colleagues, my own office with a 30-story view of midtown Manhattan, lots of opportunity for advancement within the firm or to "lateral" out to somewhere else, lots of travel.
    Cons: absurdly long hours, always have to be available, often work on weekends, lots of travel (it's a pro and con), entrenched sexism in the legal profession, I live and work in basically the highest COL area in the country so my salary sounds impressive but doesn't go as far as you think.

Re raises: like most Biglaw firms, our firm employs a lockstep salary and bonus structure for associates.  First years all start at the same salary and get identical raises every year.  My raise next year will be about 9%.  Bonuses are tied to performance.  The "base" or "starting" bonuses are also lockstep by class year, and this year they were something like three weeks' pay.  Your bonus will increase the more hours you work and the better you perform.

Edited to fix raise math problems.  Apparently I'm a lawyer and not an accountant for a reason.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I will also add that I have never seen myself as a career person.  I have never had aspirations to move up in the ranks of any company.  I don't see myself as a manager.  I don't see myself as a division leader.  I don't see myself as a CEO.  I don't like nor want that kind of responsibility.  I work to live, not live to work.  I like checking out at 4 or 5pm and not worrying about anything until I walk in the door at 8am.  I see people at my company and they are hear from like 6:30am to 6:30pm.  They are constantly checking their email and are on their blackberries.  They work over the weekends.  Sorry but to me, nothing is that important.  I enjoy spending my down time with my H and my pup, watching bad tv and sleeping in.  Work is not at the top of my list, as it may be with many others.  I work because I have to, not because I want to.

This is how I feel exactly. And I have coworkers who make pointed comments when I leave right at 5pm but you know what, this isn't my life. It's just a job. It makes me so irritated that people think everyone needs to live for their work. Not everyone does.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I absolutely hate mine. I joined an organization that placed me in a position in an underserved area, which I thought would bring a lot of fulfillment, but the organization that trained me works off of a lot of fear and shame tactics for not doing well, and the district that hired me doesn't treat its workers well. My boss is abusive, I'm 3 hours away from FI, and I barely make enough money to get bills paid at the end of the month. The only reason I'm still in the job is out of a feeling of commitment to see it through the end of the academic year, at the very least. I've talked with a few people here on this boards and they've helped me see that a feeling of commitment or "seeing it through" is not worth mental agony or stress. I'm YEARNING for these jobs that I'm hearing about where you have bad days...

But I'm not honoring the organization that placed me by coming back for a second year. I made that decision this weekend. This career is not for me at all, and I had to learn that by doing. I'm applying to grad programs in Atlanta so I can be at home near my family, friends, and FI. 

If your job is causing you depression or anxiety (like mine) then get out if your situation allows you to do so. That great big question mark on the other side is better than suffering out of some kind of feeling like you should stick it out.

ETF words... ugh. I'm fried.
    @Sassyfrass2014 Are you in TFA by any chance?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I absolutely hate mine. I joined an organization that placed me in a position in an underserved area, which I thought would bring a lot of fulfillment, but the organization that trained me works off of a lot of fear and shame tactics for not doing well, and the district that hired me doesn't treat its workers well. My boss is abusive, I'm 3 hours away from FI, and I barely make enough money to get bills paid at the end of the month. The only reason I'm still in the job is out of a feeling of commitment to see it through the end of the academic year, at the very least. I've talked with a few people here on this boards and they've helped me see that a feeling of commitment or "seeing it through" is not worth mental agony or stress. I'm YEARNING for these jobs that I'm hearing about where you have bad days...

But I'm not honoring the organization that placed me by coming back for a second year. I made that decision this weekend. This career is not for me at all, and I had to learn that by doing. I'm applying to grad programs in Atlanta so I can be at home near my family, friends, and FI. 

If your job is causing you depression or anxiety (like mine) then get out if your situation allows you to do so. That great big question mark on the other side is better than suffering out of some kind of feeling like you should stick it out.

ETF words... ugh. I'm fried.
    @Sassyfrass2014 Are you in TFA by any chance?
    Yes!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love my work and my job and I make a really good living at it. But it's not my life, by any means. I'm here at 6:30a, I'm out by 3:30p and on Fridays, I'm here until 11:30am. That's what I negotiated and that's what I signed up for. I don't check my email on weekends and I don't check in at all. It's all too "American" to get entrenched in your job and just have that expected of you. I worked a job for 2.5yrs where I made 30k annually, managed 80 people and you know how many of those employees frequently made more money than me hourly?.... I'd say on a typical week: 70% of those employees made more money than me. It was expected for me to burn myself out (which I did) and quit. Which I did. I don't know why I tried killing myself (figuratively, working 15hr days for months really wears on you) to keep my supervisors happy and my patrons happy when I was beyond miserable. 

So now, I work, I get my work done and I go home. And that's just fine with me :) 

Note about raises: My FI works for the state and he gets, on average, 7-9% raise yearly. In 5 years, he's increased his wage by nearly 30k. It's ridiculous. But he's union (Yes. An IT union) and they do non-merit raises. So he gets 3% COL raise and then between 3-5% raise based off of their contract negotiations. We used to get into very heated arguments about working because he has NO idea what it's like to work for nothing, essentially. But now that I'm in a similar boat financially and industry wise, I can see why he brags. And he's never worked another job in his life (well, outside of HS/college jobs) so he has no clue what the real world is like. He thought that 8% raises were normal.

• Our COL raises were frozen for 2 years which was a drag due to the market. I recently changed positions and got a 10% raise which when you calculate it out is about 3-4%/yr if you take into account the 2 years of nothing. FI works his butt off for his company and I'm really glad they recognize it. He ended up with two raises back to back this year which were significant but still doesn't add up compared to the hours he works. On average 50-60/wk in the winter and 70-80/wk in the summer. I am just glad that he's with a company that actually notices when people are working hard and rewards them, too many companies don't these days. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love my job, I love the people I work with, and the work we do.. But I'm also very busy during the day most of the time. That's why I'm not really on the knot too much during the weekday.

My job is a work hard play hard company. There are a lot of perks (free food, excellent benefits, free parking/transit, I've gotten a raise every year, flexible hours.) On the other hand, it's a fast moving company, and you have to be passionate and driven or you're going to be left behind. So even though people make their own hours, the work still needs to get done. 

The one major thing is that I don't have my PhD, and being a scientist in research it's hard to get promoted to the next level without it. However, I still get raises every year, so I can't complain too much. I have an ambitious nature, so I always try to the best I can no matter what my job is. 

On the topic of raises, I know that I'm extremely lucky to work in a company that gives competitive raises. This year I was given a 12% bonus (first time our company gave bonuses) and a 12% raise. It's worth it to me to do the best I can, because I get compensated for it.

I understand some of you not willing to work as hard if you're not going to get compensated for it. That has to suck. Why would you bust your ass if you're not going to be recognized.

• I love my job.  I've always known I wanted to help people and I truly feel like I'm fulfilling my purpose.  What's funny is I always said I didn't want to teach in a "bad" school.  I thought it would be so sad and expensive and thankless.  Well, now I work in a Title I, failing, super-duper low SES school.  While I do see a lot of sad stories that are worse that I would've imagined, and it can be pricey, especially in a super underfunded school, it's the most rewarding thing I've ever done.  We have great benefits (health insurance of all types [regular, vision, dental, cancer], life insurance, legal aid, retirement) and having at least 1 week off for every 6-8 worked is not too shabby, either. 

• Blergbot said:

I am a stay at home mom. It is definitely my job. It really hit me this weekend what a challenging one it is this weekend when I came down with a nasty cold. I don't get sick leave. Sure, my H can pick up a shift for me (we have a newborn, so I'm talking a middle of the night feeding), but he works full time, so he also needs his sleep. 

I'm lucky to be able to stay at home (sort of...in my field, the next step in my career would either mean moving--not an option, since H has a good job--or working for minimum wage, which would not cover the cost of child care. Any other run of the mill job I could get would break us even on childcare), but I don't know if I LOVE it. We were over at a friend's house last night and I didn't want to leave, because I never get to talk to other people. But as I'm writing this I'm in my bathrobe sipping coffee at 11:30 on a Monday. It has its perks.

I want this.

I hate my job. I used to love it because I had a lot of career aspirations. What I was doing at the time wasn't fun or exciting, but it was a step in the direction I wanted to go. The problem is, I don't want to go in that direction anymore, so doing this job is no longer tolerable. I'm miserable.

My fiance has offered to support us financially so I can quit and either find another job or be a SAHM once we have kids. Super sweet of him but the truth is I'm terrified of giving up my paycheck. I like shopping and the financial freedom it gives me.

So yeah, I'm stuck, because I'm not ready to give up my money yet. I'm also totally jealous of you right now. :)

• Blergbot said:

I am a stay at home mom. It is definitely my job. It really hit me this weekend what a challenging one it is this weekend when I came down with a nasty cold. I don't get sick leave. Sure, my H can pick up a shift for me (we have a newborn, so I'm talking a middle of the night feeding), but he works full time, so he also needs his sleep. 

I want this.

I hate my job. I used to love it because I had a lot of career aspirations. What I was doing at the time wasn't fun or exciting, but it was a step in the direction I wanted to go. The problem is, I don't want to go in that direction anymore, so doing this job is no longer tolerable. I'm miserable.

My fiance has offered to support us financially so I can quit and either find another job or be a SAHM once we have kids. Super sweet of him but the truth is I'm terrified of giving up my paycheck. I like shopping and the financial freedom it gives me.

So yeah, I'm stuck, because I'm not ready to give up my money yet. I'm also totally jealous of you right now. :)

Is part time an option for you?  That is our plan for me for when we have little ones at home.  I will most likely go back to full time once they start school since I can mostly keep their schedule.

• I feel like I have to say yes and no at the same time. What I love about my job, it's what I want to do with my life (museum management), my boss is awesome, and I'm making great connections. The cons are it can be slow at times, the pay isn't great, and I can only work 12 hours. But I'm going to get my masters in Museum Studies so hopefully when I graduate I can be in the museum world again. We are also getting a new museum at my university. So I'm thinking the pace will pick up so I won't be so bored at times. If I could get better hours and higher pay then I would have no complaints. I love being in the museum world and I never want to leave it. I'm so passionate about it.
  • Blergbot said:

I want this.

Is part time an option for you?  That is our plan for me for when we have little ones at home.  I will most likely go back to full time once they start school since I can mostly keep their schedule.
    Not at my current job. I am just going to have to eventually bite the bullet and quit. I'm currently looking and applying to other places in hopes of finding something else I'd enjoy, even if it means taking a pay cut. That's the other painful part, I make decent money, and I know quitting will mean making a whole lot less.
  • Most days, I really enjoy my job. I work in a fun industry (desserts), and I've been able to create the perfect position for myself. However there are stressful days where if you asked, I'd say I seriously dislike my job.
  • hicoco said:

I will also add that I have never seen myself as a career person.  I have never had aspirations to move up in the ranks of any company.  I don't see myself as a manager.  I don't see myself as a division leader.  I don't see myself as a CEO.  I don't like nor want that kind of responsibility.  I work to live, not live to work.  I like checking out at 4 or 5pm and not worrying about anything until I walk in the door at 8am.  I see people at my company and they are hear from like 6:30am to 6:30pm.  They are constantly checking their email and are on their blackberries.  They work over the weekends.  Sorry but to me, nothing is that important.  I enjoy spending my down time with my H and my pup, watching bad tv and sleeping in.  Work is not at the top of my list, as it may be with many others.  I work because I have to, not because I want to.

This is how I feel exactly. And I have coworkers who make pointed comments when I leave right at 5pm but you know what, this isn't my life. It's just a job. It makes me so irritated that people think everyone needs to live for their work. Not everyone does.
    I agree with all of this as well.  If you're completing your work by the time the business closes, then what's the problem.  I have a life, and my job IS NOT it.
  • I like my job.  There are some bad days when I literally go home and sit on the couch and DON'T SPEAK, but overall, it's fun and flexible.

I manage a team of meeting/event planners.  I joke about how it's like trying to "corral cats" with 8 different planners under me, but deep down I adore them and they make my life easy for the most part.  But now that I manage a team, I'm not doing the day-to-day planning anymore, which as time goes on, I realize I miss- big time.  

We had a couple of slow years overall, but I just got a bonus, along with a mini-promotion and a raise, so I think I'm going to stick around for a while :)  
  • I'm 100% like @maggie0829. My job is fine, my company is fine, the benefits are fine. But I only do it because I have to. You know those people who say "a few weeks off work and I'm bored to death!"? Yeaaa that's NOT me. My goal in life would be to win the lottery and sit on my ass traveling. I do not get bored of that ever.

• My job is ok.  I definitely have grumbles about it.  It's never finished.  In insurance there is always something to be done, and I am always behind.  And I just really don't like that aspect of it.  I like coming in and doing my work, getting it done, and starting a new set of stuff the next day.  Insurance is not that.  My desk is constantly covered in papers and no matter how many to do lists I make to strategize and organize my day, it never goes as planned, and I can't always get things crossed off.  But it gives me money, so I like that, and I can't complain too much. 

• jenna8984 said:

I'm 100% like @maggie0829. My job is fine, my company is fine, the benefits are fine. But I only do it because I have to. You know those people who say "a few weeks off work and I'm bored to death!"? Yeaaa that's NOT me. My goal in life would be to win the lottery and sit on my ass traveling. I do not get bored of that ever.

This is me too.  When my vacation time starts over each year, I pretty much always have trips planned to use the days.  I have coworkers who make pointed comments about that kind of stuff too, but I'm sorry, I like to travel, and I like time off from work!
  • I love my job in a lot of ways. I love teaching at the collegiate level, and I love getting to mentor our department's TAs (most of the time). I love that although I work in academia, I have as close to a 9-5 as you can get. I don't bring anything home - papers get graded at the office, lessons get planned at the office, etc. A lot of people I know in academia get really stressed with everything they have to do - I purposely took a job that was not tenure-track in order to not have to deal with any of that for the time being.

That all being said, no job is perfect. There are days I get really frustrated. The TAs will get on my nerves, expecting me to solve all of their problems rather than using their own brains. My students will come to class completely unprepared. One of my coworkers will go on for eternity at a faculty meeting about something pointless. But most days are great.

DH has had a really rough year with work - he actually just resigned his k-12 job beginning the end of the academic year. He's been in a really toxic situation, and it hasn't been good for him/us. He's someone who's always felt that your job defines you, and he feels like a failure because this job didn't work out. He's coming around to the "work to live" mentality, but I worry that he'll never be satisfied with a job. I think our generation was raised too much on the "you should love your job" mentality - he thinks a job needs to be perfect, not realizing that perfect doesn't exist. Little by little he's coming around to that way of thinking, but I have a feeling it'll be a long process...
  • I do like my job! It's rewarding and busy and interesting. My co-workers are mostly awesome and I am getting pretty close to my boss. We share an office, so it's hard not to.  

What I don't like is the low pay and the part time with no possible transition to full time. I also hate living where I live, so I will eventually have to leave my job. I pick up enough shifts to cover my part-time ness but I would like it steady.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love my job 80% of the time. We are a 5 person company and I was the first hire. I work with an amazing team, have flexibility in my schedule, and am involved in major decisions. Plus, I have options that will be valuable when we sell. On top of that, the work is interesting, I have great access to interesting people and companies, and I'm taking on higher level roles while giving away crappy work as we hire more people. Also, when we add benefits, they're benefits we actually want-- we get stipends for healthcare so we can choose our own, allowances for cell phones, and profit-sharing for our 401Ks. We don't have everything that big companies have but it's prioritized but what we all value. Also, I work from home part time and in a very casual shared workspace the rest of the time so I only need to be as dressy as I want, unless I'm visiting a client.

The downside of the small company is that there are periods where I work ridiculous hours (like now). I could be making significantly more money and have better benefits if I went somewhere bigger. I also never truly get a vacation- even when I take a day off, I still take calls from clients. It's getting better as we grow but it's still tough at times.

I feel lucky today. I own a place with my sister that I rent my share of. The plumber's here today so I'm working from my sister's apartment. While I'm out by her place, I'm making 2 stops on my way home. In some companies, this would be a vacation day. Here, we all know that I'm working a lot of nights and weekends so no one cares.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am quitting in two weeks to go back to school full time for the next 16 months.  This job has always been just a job to me.  I haven't had a real emotional investment in it because it was just something to get me from point A to point B.  I'm going back to school to get the job that I really want and will enjoy. 

• I work at a group home and am a nursing student. There's always frustrating things that happen at the group home. I work with some nutty people- and I'm not talking about the clients. 

I fill in at two group homes. I think I'll stop the one- they clients are more independent but it makes me a little uncomfortable with telling them what to do and such. Plus, one is my age and had a brain injury and seems to have a crush on me, so that's awkward. The other home is mainly cerebral palsy and I feel much more useful there even though it's more work. 

I've found the less developmentally advanced they are, the more I like working with them. Hoping to work with young children or infants when I'm a nurse. Independent adults make me nervous and frustrate me a lot more. 

Every job has its ups and downs. H is a teacher and he likes the teaching part but absolutely hates the administrative bullshit part.  I used to be a horse trainer, my dream job, but the hours were insane and I hated trying to sell myself and hated dealing with the crazy people that proliferate in the horse industry. I wanted to get into something more secure that allowed me to leave my work at work. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards