Chit Chat

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• We don't have in-unit laundry, but our complex has several laundry rooms scattered throughout the property (garden apartments, 4 units per building). Up until this year, our laundry room was directly beneath our kitchen so doing laundry at least once a week was no big thing. They just recently closed our laundry room (it wasn't handicap accessible), so we have to go up the hill to big renovated laundry room. Not a problem in the spring/summer/fall when it's nice out but it sucked balls going up the icy hill during the winter!

And... people make their beds? I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since junior high!
    We don't make the bed.  We have separate covers.  FI says I'm a cover hog but he's really the cover hog. Sometimes I fold the blankets though.  Usually when I wash the sheets.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• emmaaa said:

We don't have in-unit laundry, but our complex has several laundry rooms scattered throughout the property (garden apartments, 4 units per building). Up until this year, our laundry room was directly beneath our kitchen so doing laundry at least once a week was no big thing. They just recently closed our laundry room (it wasn't handicap accessible), so we have to go up the hill to big renovated laundry room. Not a problem in the spring/summer/fall when it's nice out but it sucked balls going up the icy hill during the winter!

And... people make their beds? I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since junior high!
    Oh no. H makes the bed. I do not.
    I HAVE to have the bed made every day. even if it is right before I get back in it. Something about messy sheets makes me so uncomfortable. 
    Same. It's just more relaxing to me to get into a clean, neat bed. 
    *********************************************************************************

• I need to have straight sheets, but the bed doesn't need to be made. I just straighten them around me.

I don't think I do 10 loads of laundry in a MONTH. H washes the towels once a week. I do one load of lights and one or two of darks, depending on if I'm washing my jeans, like every week and a half to two weeks. Delicates go right in with everything else. If you're too delicate for normal wash, you don't belong in my life.

• H usually makes the bed every morning. He knows how much I like to have the bed made but I'm usually running around like a crazy person in the morning to remember to do it. So he straightens the sheets and makes the bed and puts the decorative pillows back on it. He's a good man.

When we bought our house, I was so excited to finally be able to do laundry at home instead of a laundromat. I was even more excited when I found out that our washer and dryer are on first floor instead of in the basement. Our basement is a scary, scary place and if I had to go down there to do laundry, it just wouldn't get done. I do all the laundry in our house because it's seriously my favorite chore.

• I need to have straight sheets, but the bed doesn't need to be made. I just straighten them around me.

I don't think I do 10 loads of laundry in a MONTH. H washes the towels once a week. I do one load of lights and one or two of darks, depending on if I'm washing my jeans, like every week and a half to two weeks. Delicates go right in with everything else. If you're too delicate for normal wash, you don't belong in my life.

Yes to the bolded.

I may wash 4 loads a week. Towels, darks, lights, and sheets. Sometime I'm lazy and skip the sheets :0 

• We don't have in-unit laundry, but our complex has several laundry rooms scattered throughout the property (garden apartments, 4 units per building). Up until this year, our laundry room was directly beneath our kitchen so doing laundry at least once a week was no big thing. They just recently closed our laundry room (it wasn't handicap accessible), so we have to go up the hill to big renovated laundry room. Not a problem in the spring/summer/fall when it's nice out but it sucked balls going up the icy hill during the winter!

Same FI is a really big fan of bed making. I just feel like no one sees it and I'm going to sleep in it again. So he makes his half up while I'm still in bed. Then I roll over after he gets up and mess it up. Oops. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

I have to spend like $100 each on my stupid bras but I hate handwashing because I feel like I twist them worse than the washer does, so I have to do a load of those on the delicate cycle in a lingerie bag and lay them flat to dry. I also have a couple work shirts I'm pretty afraid of ruining, but it's mostly bras/sports bras/lacy underwear that I don't want holes in. I also try not to buy stuff that can't go in the regular wash, but the bras are already a necessity so as long as it stays at one load I'm good.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

We don't have in-unit laundry, but our complex has several laundry rooms scattered throughout the property (garden apartments, 4 units per building). Up until this year, our laundry room was directly beneath our kitchen so doing laundry at least once a week was no big thing. They just recently closed our laundry room (it wasn't handicap accessible), so we have to go up the hill to big renovated laundry room. Not a problem in the spring/summer/fall when it's nice out but it sucked balls going up the icy hill during the winter!

Same here. The only time I make the bed is when I change the sheets. But FI makes it every day. Mostly to keep the dogs from putting toy debris in the sheets. 
    If by make you mean pull the comforter up and walk away- then yes I do. I refuse to believe there is anyone out there who actually tucks in the sheets and lines up pillows like hotel staff.

I actually do make the bed like this, with hospital corners and all. UNTIL I met FI. I made his bed in his apartment once like this and in the middle of the night he woke up and freaked out because he couldn't get his feet out from the covers. Suffice it to say, I'm not allowed to make the beds in our house anymore.
  • @novella1186 - do you have a lot of new clothes or wash them on hot every time? I find that new red stuff bleeds, especially if I wash it on hot versus cold. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Hahaha, I don't think I have EVER made my bed in my life. I honestly can't think of a single time.
  • @novella1186 - do you have a lot of new clothes or wash them on hot every time? I find that new red stuff bleeds, especially if I wash it on hot versus cold. 

I only wash with cold water, and usually I try to wash new clothes with something like a blanket or a towel that I don't mind getting color-bleed on. I don't know what the problem was, but I didn't like the odd tinges that were happening. 
  • Ok, I never admit this IRL but I just have to say I do my laundry really weird. I can't do "darks" and "lights." I have to do "reds" and "blues." 

Yellow, orange and pink all count as reds. Purple, green, black, and gray all count as blues. 

A few years ago I noticed my light blue shirts were getting a purple-y tinge from the red things in the laundry, and same with anything that was pink. The blue things were ruining the shade of pink. So separating by color family worked way better for me than separating by lightness or darkness. 

But the one time I mentioned this IRL, I got side-eyed hard. Like it was the most insane thing ever. It works for me. Now FI does it too cuz he likes it. So whatever. There's my deep dark secret for this week. 
    I DO THIS OMG My mom thinks I'm a nutcase.

I mean, I have a whole pile just of black that I do, but red-family colors and blue-family colors get separated. I am SO GLAD I'm not the only one.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • DH and I each do our own laundry because his shit is raaaaaaaaaaaaaank by laundry day. He doesn't separate anything. Mine get separated by delicate/cold or normal/warm. Most of my work stuff is delicate/cold and fills one washer. My towels, jeans, hoodies, etc. fill a second load. Sheets and kitchen/hand towels go in a third machine. Luckily, our laundry room as six washers and six dryers.

I'm the last to get up every morning (DH is at work for a while before I even have to wake up), but fuck it if either of us cares enough to make the bed ever. Unless company is coming over, no shits are given. We might straighten out the sheets and comforters before bed if they're all twisted but that's as far as it goes.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Ok, I never admit this IRL but I just have to say I do my laundry really weird. I can't do "darks" and "lights." I have to do "reds" and "blues." 

Yellow, orange and pink all count as reds. Purple, green, black, and gray all count as blues. 

A few years ago I noticed my light blue shirts were getting a purple-y tinge from the red things in the laundry, and same with anything that was pink. The blue things were ruining the shade of pink. So separating by color family worked way better for me than separating by lightness or darkness. 

But the one time I mentioned this IRL, I got side-eyed hard. Like it was the most insane thing ever. It works for me. Now FI does it too cuz he likes it. So whatever. There's my deep dark secret for this week. 
    I DO THIS OMG My mom thinks I'm a nutcase.

I mean, I have a whole pile just of black that I do, but red-family colors and blue-family colors get separated. I am SO GLAD I'm not the only one.
    YES!!!! Finally, I'm not alone! Haha! 
  • Wait... wait... people separate their laundry?! You don't just throw it all in together? And, like, put shit in the dishwasher right away?I am a complete adulting failure

I only wash with cold water, and usually I try to wash new clothes with something like a blanket or a towel that I don't mind getting color-bleed on. I don't know what the problem was, but I didn't like the odd tinges that were happening. 
    If you find dyes are bleeding, add a cup of vinegar in where the softener goes and it will "set" the dye. 
  • I separate my laundry by my folding mood. Think maybe I'll be in a hanging shit up mood later? I'll wash some shirts and work pants. Super mega lazy? Pajamas, workout pants, socks and other shit I can just throw in their drawers.

I confess that sometimes I anticipate being too lazy to put away an entire load of laundry and only wash one outfit. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

If you find dyes are bleeding, add a cup of vinegar in where the softener goes and it will "set" the dye. 
    softener? like... liquid fabric softener? I don't think I've ever used that stuff lol. It goes in the washer? 
  • I separate my laundry by my folding mood. Think maybe I'll be in a hanging shit up mood later? I'll wash some shirts and work pants. Super mega lazy? Pajamas, workout pants, socks and other shit I can just throw in their drawers.

I confess that sometimes I anticipate being too lazy to put away an entire load of laundry and only wash one outfit. 
    And this. Although mostly that was pre-FI. I would wash my work uniform and ... maybe a pair of underwear or two. And leave it in the dryer until the next morning. 

I am truly the laziest of bums when it comes to laundry.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers

I used to do that too, but to the extreme that if it was a different color, it got it's own wash.  Orange, red, blue, purple, white....it was insane. I've chilled a bit and now can do reds, whites, and darks (and sheets and towels get their own load).  I wash my sheets and towels once a week. 

Oh, and I'm in the group that makes their bed (tucked in with decorative pillows and all) each day.  I'm trying really hard to make my bedroom a purely peaceful place where I can escape from all of the duties and responsibilities of life.  I can't relax if it's messy.  Clutter in general stresses me out.  I really like organizing things, and having everything in it's place makes me happy.  *cough* not type A at all *cough*

softener? like... liquid fabric softener? I don't think I've ever used that stuff lol. It goes in the washer? 
    LOL, no there should be a spot in the washing machine where you can put softener (I never use it either, it destroys fabric) that you pour a cup of white vinegar in and that will set any wayward dye in the fabric when you wash it.
  • jenna8984 said:

Wait... wait... people separate their laundry?! You don't just throw it all in together? And, like, put shit in the dishwasher right away?I am a complete adulting failure

NO I don't separate a god damn thing. And I'm having a hard time seeing why people do so much laundry. Do people wash their work pants and sweaters after each wear? Do people wash their towels after just a few showers? When I get home from work (sitting in an office all day) I hang my clothes back in the closet. I didn't sweat on them, I don't smell bad. Even tank tops that go under my work shirts, I'll set aside and wear another 1-2 times. The t-shirt I wear to sleep gets about 4 days before I change it out. The towels get about 3 weeks (15 showers) before they wash. The only things that get put in the laundry daily are undies, socks, and DH's work shirts because he does sweat his off ass. We do 2 loads every OTHER Saturday.
    United in grossness!

I usually (though, not always) wash my shirts after one wear, because I am generally sweaty and gross. But pants, sweaters/cardigans, etc? No way. And I don't wear underwear, soooo....
  • jenna8984 said:

Wait... wait... people separate their laundry?! You don't just throw it all in together? And, like, put shit in the dishwasher right away?I am a complete adulting failure

NO I don't separate a god damn thing. And I'm having a hard time seeing why people do so much laundry. Do people wash their work pants and sweaters after each wear? Do people wash their towels after just a few showers? When I get home from work (sitting in an office all day) I hang my clothes back in the closet. I didn't sweat on them, I don't smell bad. Even tank tops that go under my work shirts, I'll set aside and wear another 1-2 times. The t-shirt I wear to sleep gets about 4 days before I change it out. The towels get about 3 weeks (15 showers) before they wash. The only things that get put in the laundry daily are undies, socks, and DH's work shirts because he does sweat his off ass. We do 2 loads every OTHER Saturday.
    I don't separate either.  And during the winter I wear clothes more than once, but FI always washes his undershirts after one wear and his dress shirts and pants go to the dry cleaners.  

I work in a manufacturing plant, so if it's warmer than 45F I sweat through everything I'm wearing.  

I wash an itty bitty load every 2-3 days because I like having everything clean.  Otherwise I could probably wait a week or two between washes.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• We probably average...I dunno 4-5 loads of laundry a week? Maybe a little less. FI's fancy work clothes get dry cleaned. And I do have do a separate load of my bras and shit. It's annoying but also bra shopping is more annoying and they seem to last slightly longer if I wash them on the gentle cycle.

Everything else goes in on the same cycle though. Just get a full load, put it on cold and wash away. 
    amelisha said:

I told FI when we first started dating that I wouldn't move in with him unless they moved to an apartment with in-suite laundry, so I hear you guys. I could never handle the laundromat or even the shared-floor ones. Such a princess, but I do ten loads of laundry a week (...I know. But it's sheets/blankets/bathroom towels/kitchen stuff/FI's work stuff/FI's darks/FI's whites/my colours/my whites/my delicates) and I'd spend my whole life dealing with it if I didn't have it easily accessible.

Can I ask why you don't wash his clothes and your clothes in the same load?
  • What's this itty bitty load business? If I can't fill a super plus load, it waits.

Yes, same. Unless I, like, really need something (like my favorite blazer if I have an important meeting or interview come up), it waits until I have to jam it in there.
  • What's this itty bitty load business? If I can't fill a super plus load, it waits.

I'm neurotic... 

I usually wash a "small" or "medium" load of clothes.   

I suspect I'll calm down once the amazingness of having a washer/dryer IN my apartment dies down.  

• We probably average...I dunno 4-5 loads of laundry a week? Maybe a little less. FI's fancy work clothes get dry cleaned. And I do have do a separate load of my bras and shit. It's annoying but also bra shopping is more annoying and they seem to last slightly longer if I wash them on the gentle cycle.

Everything else goes in on the same cycle though. Just get a full load, put it on cold and wash away. 
    amelisha said:

I told FI when we first started dating that I wouldn't move in with him unless they moved to an apartment with in-suite laundry, so I hear you guys. I could never handle the laundromat or even the shared-floor ones. Such a princess, but I do ten loads of laundry a week (...I know. But it's sheets/blankets/bathroom towels/kitchen stuff/FI's work stuff/FI's darks/FI's whites/my colours/my whites/my delicates) and I'd spend my whole life dealing with it if I didn't have it easily accessible.

Can I ask why you don't wash his clothes and your clothes in the same load?
    No for real- if his work clothes all get dry cleaned, what the hell is making up your 5 loads a week?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards