Chit Chat

Weird police situation. WWYD?

2»

Re: Weird police situation. WWYD?

• Also a fun story - when I was maybe 10 I hit what I thought was a redial button on our house phone trying to call my BFF back. It was an auto 911 button, so when they answered I wad so scared I would get in trouble. They seemed worried there WAS an emergency and I was being made to not say anything. That was fun explaining to my mom, who had forgot on that old phone in the basement that button existed .
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Can I just say how weirdly this thread makes me feel better. I've been having a very emotional week knowing I soon have to get adjusted to being an officer's wife in this "anit-police" world. Hope in humanity restored.
  • I have several family members who are or were police officers. One of them died when he was only 24 years old, on duty. When people make comments about "all cops are corrupt" and anything along those lines, I get PISSED. Yes, some are. But to assume they all are is unfair and angers me.

I would have gone back inside and kept my eye on things. Calling a non emergency number is a good idea when in doubt, even if they don't give you information just a reassurance is never a bad thing.

It's just like any other stereoptype. Whether it's about an entire race or religion or class or whatever, it's not accurate, and it's gross. I don't get why we've progressed as a society to the point where we realize SOME groups are not ok to negatively stereotype, but other groups-- go right ahead. 
  • Also a fun story - when I was maybe 10 I hit what I thought was a redial button on our house phone trying to call my BFF back. It was an auto 911 button, so when they answered I wad so scared I would get in trouble. They seemed worried there WAS an emergency and I was being made to not say anything. That was fun explaining to my mom, who had forgot on that old phone in the basement that button existed .

My brother once dialed 911 while my mom was in the shower because he had just learned how to use the phone. He was excited to test out his new found skills. Needless to say my mom wasn't as excited when the cops showed up and she had to get out of the shower and answer the door in a towel.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd call the non-emergency police line & report it. You never know, dude. Better to be on the safe side of things. 

I'd say, "Hi, I was just calling with a concern. I live at [address] and was letting my dog out on [date & time] when I saw a police officer doing [x]. The encounter was odd and I thought I ought to report it and find out whether there's something happening in my neighborhood I should be aware of."

In the three times I've made a citizen report to law enforcement, they've been very friendly and helpful. It can't hurt. 
  • On a related note, there is some national guard training going on near me, and I have FB friends posting about how it's all a conspiracy to lull us into a false sense of security before they start to round people up.  UGH. 

• larrygaga said:

We hear about the horrible corrupt cops but how often do we hear about the ones who are responsible and kind? We don't because they fly under the news radar

We hear about the the corrupt cops, and the shootings and all this bad stuff happening all the time. Everyone talks about how terrible things are becoming and where is our world going. But I have been thinking about that lately and I don't think it is necessarily MORE happening I think we have MORE access to every little story. News comes out so fast now most of it is speculation... imagine the days of waiting for the 6pm news or until your daily or Sunday paper came to learn about what was going on?

Kind of off topic but just something I have noticed... 

Anniversary
  • larrygaga said:

We hear about the horrible corrupt cops but how often do we hear about the ones who are responsible and kind? We don't because they fly under the news radar

We hear about the the corrupt cops, and the shootings and all this bad stuff happening all the time. Everyone talks about how terrible things are becoming and where is our world going. But I have been thinking about that lately and I don't think it is necessarily MORE happening I think we have MORE access to every little story. News comes out so fast now most of it is speculation... imagine the days of waiting for the 6pm news or until your daily or Sunday paper came to learn about what was going on?

This.  And I just think that the news likes to report only horrible/upsetting/crappy stories and royal babies.  Rarely have I watched the news where they are highlighting the good things people are doing.  And if they are then that is done near the end of the news in a super short segment.

• larrygaga said:

This.  And I just think that the news likes to report only horrible/upsetting/crappy stories and royal babies.  Rarely have I watched the news where they are highlighting the good things people are doing.  And if they are then that is done near the end of the news in a super short segment.
    Not only this, but a lot of the times people use facebook as thier news source, which infuriates me. I can't even tell you how many times something has popped up in my newsfeed where someone posts some total nonsense like "50 cases of ebola reported in US and government has lied abuot it and covered it up!" and then a bunch of other idiots will comment with stuff like "omg how could they do such a thing?!" and clearly believe whatever crap they see in their newsfeed. Ugh. 

So people post crap on there about corrupt cops or whatever, and they may be leaving out some essential facts or blowing the story way out of proportion, or taking their information solely from a headline, or whatever. Then it becomes hugely misrepresented but spreads like wildfire. 
  • larrygaga said:

Honestly, I don't even believe the news anymore.  Several years back there was an incident related to my husband at the time, in the paper (he was not arrested we both work in law enforcement).  Almost all of the information was incorrect and in a blatant and inflammatory way as if it was done purposefully to incite more trouble.  We almost filed suit against the paper it was so bad.     

• larrygaga said:

Honestly, I don't even believe the news anymore.  Several years back there was an incident related to my husband at the time, in the paper (he was not arrested we both work in law enforcement).  Almost all of the information was incorrect and in a blatant and inflammatory way as if it was done purposefully to incite more trouble.  We almost filed suit against the paper it was so bad.     
    Yeah, I had an article written about me when one of my books was published. The reporter asked when I started writing. I said I wrote a short story at the age of 6. Throughout the interview I gave her other info, like that I wrote my first "novel" when I was 13, and it was about 40 pages long. 

The article comes out and is full of completely wrong information, including "Novella wrote her first novel at the age of 6 which was over 100 pages long." Um no, no I didn't, and I never said that at all. 

I mean, this is far more minor and way less harmful than the situation with your husband, Classic, but I was really embarrassed. I'm sure people thought I had lied in the interview to make myself look good, but really the reporter got all the information wrong. It sucked. 

From then on, I realized how "accurate" some news stories might be. 
  • larrygaga said:

Yeah, I had an article written about me when one of my books was published. The reporter asked when I started writing. I said I wrote a short story at the age of 6. Throughout the interview I gave her other info, like that I wrote my first "novel" when I was 13, and it was about 40 pages long. 

The article comes out and is full of completely wrong information, including "Novella wrote her first novel at the age of 6 which was over 100 pages long." Um no, no I didn't, and I never said that at all. 

I mean, this is far more minor and way less harmful than the situation with your husband, Classic, but I was really embarrassed. I'm sure people thought I had lied in the interview to make myself look good, but really the reporter got all the information wrong. It sucked. 

From then on, I realized how "accurate" some news stories might be. 

Exactly, that's why I take the news with a grain of salt.  Some people hear what they want to and spin things you say in a way you never intended.  Honestly, I hard watch the news anymore.

• edited April 2015
    classicalandedgy said: Maggie0829 said: bubblegum1309 said: larrygaga said:We hear about the horrible corrupt cops but how often do we hear about the ones who are responsible and kind? We don't because they fly under the news radar

EDIT: BOXES ARE ON A VACATION APPARENTLY 

Supposedly incidents of violent crime are actually in a decline, but as everyone has said, violent crimes in the past (I'm talking way past, like 1800s) were not reported as often and/or had very minimal "news" coverage. We now have access to just about everything, so we
    feel like we are not as safe, when that is truly not the case (generally speaking).
  • KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    abcdevonn said:

larrygaga said:

EDIT: BOXES ARE ON A VACATION APPARENTLY 

Supposedly incidents of violent crime are actually in a decline, but as everyone has said, violent crimes in the past (I'm talking way past, like 1800s) were not reported as often and/or had very minimal "news" coverage. We now have access to just about everything, so we feel like we are not as safe, when that is truly not the case (generally speaking).

BOXESBOXESWHEREAREYOUBOXES?

The 24-hour news cycle has created a society that runs exclusively on fear and false enthusiasm. It's all gloom and doom and shootings and corruption, with a brief "She opened the door, and you won't believe the FEELINGSY THING that happens next!" to make us feel good for a quick half-second.

Nothing is really as bad as it looks, and there are things that are ACTUALLY awesome (that don't require manipulative headline-writing or extra "isn't it TOUCHING?" copy to make it "pop") happening every day.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards