Chit Chat

Talk to me about Washington D.C.

DH and I are planning a trip to D.C. We aren't going until March... but we want to look in to hotels and book something now to secure a cheaper rate. I've scoured Trip Advisor and it's a bit overwhelming figuring out where the best locations are to stay. We want to avoid renting a car, so being close to the attractions or the availability of public transportation is important.

Any suggestions, recommendations, places to avoid, etc. are super appreciated! Neither of us has been to D.C. before so we are really excited - it will be our 1 year anniversary trip! We are also major foodies so food recommendations are the best.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Talk to me about Washington D.C.

• You could probably stay somewhere along the metro and that will be cheaper. Like Arlington or something. 

Things to do: 
    Shakespeare museum! But I'm a nerd. haha 
    Newseum, kind of pricey but totally amazing and worth it. 
    Science museum 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, look in Arlington and Alexandria near the blue line. Hotels will be cheaper. The Metro is super easy to use. 
  • If you fly into Reagan, you can take metro to any hotels along the blue line or yellow line. Metro Map

Springfield has really good rates for hotels, under $100 per night. (25 minutes to DC via metro). Alexandria is the most expensive place ever but has an amazing walkable area next to the water (King Street - Old Town). Arlington is off of either the blue or orange lines. Shop around there though, because prices vary quite a bit. Check out any hotel that says "Metro Accessible" on google maps. The hotel near my house says that and the nearest metro stop is 20 minutes away by car. 

From the blue line you can go to Foggy Bottom - the stop with all the sights - and see pretty much everything from there by foot. If you take the yellow, you have to transfer, but the map is pretty clear. The zoo is off of the red line -Woodley Park. There are also tons of buses that can take you where you'd like to go. Get a day pass for the Metro.
  • If you fly into Reagan, you can take metro to any hotels along the blue line or yellow line. Metro Map

Springfield has really good rates for hotels, under $100 per night. (25 minutes to DC via metro). Alexandria is the most expensive place ever but has an amazing walkable area next to the water (King Street - Old Town). Arlington is off of either the blue or orange lines. Shop around there though, because prices vary quite a bit. Check out any hotel that says "Metro Accessible" on google maps. The hotel near my house says that and the nearest metro stop is 20 minutes away by car. 

From the blue line you can go to Foggy Bottom - the stop with all the sights - and see pretty much everything from there by foot. If you take the yellow, you have to transfer, but the map is pretty clear. The zoo is off of the red line -Woodley Park. There are also tons of buses that can take you where you'd like to go. Get a day pass for the Metro.
    This is where I get confused. So many places, lines, metro, whaaa?

If cost wasn't an issue, where would be the most convenient place to stay?

What does a Metro pass cost per day? We will likely need it each day of our trip if we don't stay within walking distance of the attractions, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    We are going to WDC in October (also for a 1-year anniversary trip!)! But I think that DH wants to stay in one of the swanky hotels near all the action. Fine by me! We are only staying for 3 days though.

But I will definitely be checking on this thread for food and restaurant recommendations!
  • We were super touristy and cheesy when we went to DC. We went to both air & space museums, the natural history museum, and even paid admission to the spy museum (it was really fun and interactive). We just did a lot of walking around and exploring different stuff, seeing the different monuments, and being generally goofy.The air & space museum near Dulles was especially fun for us since we're pretty nerdy. They had the model used in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and you could see all the silly things they "hid" on it like R2D2, a mailbox, etc.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• tcnoble said:

If you fly into Reagan, you can take metro to any hotels along the blue line or yellow line. Metro Map

What does a Metro pass cost per day? We will likely need it each day of our trip if we don't stay within walking distance of the attractions, right?
    IDK cost off the top of my head, but it's pretty cheap. I know it may seem like a lot, but the metro is honestly so easy to use. Most places tell you what stop to get off. You may have to transfer trains depending on where you go, which would be the hardest part. Most touristy stuff is in the same general area though so you should be fine.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We were super touristy and cheesy when we went to DC. We went to both air & space museums, the natural history museum, and even paid admission to the spy museum (it was really fun and interactive). We just did a lot of walking around and exploring different stuff, seeing the different monuments, and being generally goofy.The air & space museum near Dulles was especially fun for us since we're pretty nerdy. They had the model used in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and you could see all the silly things they "hid" on it like R2D2, a mailbox, etc.

We are after a similar touristy/cheesy experience! We want to see everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I second the spy museum recommendation! The Smithsonian is also pretty fun.
  • We went last July and stayed at the Washington Plaza hotel. It's within walking distance to everything (a long walk in some cases) but it was the most reasonably priced hotel with good reviews. Our favorite place we visited was the spy museum, it's a little pricey but totally worth it.
  • We stayed at the JW Marriott.   Not cheap, but you can't beat the location.  Walk-able to so many things.  Right next to the WH.   Pretty far walk to the Capital, but not horrible.  The museums are in between.   

Depending on where I'm going I do not mind spending extra per night to avoid having to travel longer distances or spending money on caps, metros or even parking.  Add in time and well those things can sometimes add up to more than the savings staying farther out.  Plus if you need a break the hotel is right there.

Just my opinion.

Contact you representative(s)  for free tickets to Capital and/or WH tours.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We just came back from DC on Monday!  We stayed in Alexandria, but we have a timeshare and they had a resort there.  There was a Hilton right next door to us.  We were a less than 5 minute walk to the King St Metro.  We were also a 1 block walk to a Whole Foods, so we were able to get breakfast items there to help keep our costs down.  King St was awesome!

The Spy Museum is probably my favorite in DC.  I interned in DC many moons ago and that was on of the places my boss told me to check out.  It is worth the admission price.  Even H really loved it!  We also hit up the Air & Space, Natural History, and American History Smithsonians.  The mall is under construction right now, so that was a bit of a bummer.  But there are tons of food trucks on the mall to eat at when visiting the mall area.

When I worked in DC, I really enjoyed eating at The Dubliner.  It's accessible from the Union Station metro station (Red line).  I very much wanted to go back, but we were trying to keep our food costs low for our weekend.  If we had a "splurge" dinner, it would have been the Dubliner.  If you end up staying outside of DC.  I recommend Four Courts Irish Bar in Arlington (Court House Metro - Blue line), Murphy's Grand Irish Pub in Alexandria (King St - Yellow line), and Flat Iron Saloon in Alexandria (King St).

When I worked in DC, I lived in Arlington.  There was a hotel my parents would stay at that was pretty nice.  I think it was also a Hilton and it was a 5 minute walk to the Ballston station (Orange Line).  It was on the same block as the metro entrance.  Also, I know that the Dubliner was attached to a hotel.  I think it was the Pheonix Park hotel, it was supposed to be very nice, but I've never stayed there.  There are also a lot of boutique hotels in the Dupont Circle area.

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    I absolutely adore Washington DC! You and your H are going to have the best time. I'm about a 2 hour drive from DC and we drive to Virginia and stay there, so I'm useless with hotel recommendations. However, if I did stay in DC, it would be at the Donovan (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-donovan-a-kimpton-hotel-washington) but that's just me. If you want to super close museums, I'd stay somewhere else like where Lyndausvi suggested.

My advice is to get on Yelp and pour over everything. I  even suggest to start typing in adjectives and find places you may be interested in because DC is a lot more than just the museums and White House. Familiarize yourself with streets and neighborhoods before you go, because it will really help, IMO. City-data.com is a good website to get more information on the area. If you plan on using the Metro start trying to familiarize yourself with it before you go. It's easy to use but it always helps to have some prior knowledge! 

Restaurants and things to do:

Rasika- Indian food

Museum of American History

Natural History Museum is an obvious choice :)

Champagne Tours at the Mansion on O Street. Never been here but want to check it out next time I'm down

Wisdom- Cocktail lounge 

Air and Space Museum- I'm not a total fan, but FH absolutely loves it

National Museum of the American Indian- One of my favorites. A must see.

Ardeo- Restaurant

Crime and Punishment Museum- I liked this one a lot but it's a little pricey

Stoney's- An off the beaten path bar and grill. I liked this place a lot

Macaron Bee- I loved their macarons. A nice treat to have after a day of visiting museums and shops

My perspective/view of a few of the better known neighborhoods:

Logan Circle: My favorite neighborhood to go to. From what I have seen, it is more the "hip" area of DC? Cool shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Not really any museums around here but still very fun.

Adams Morgan: Everyone who has ever lived in or around DC will say AM's the place to go get drunk and it's kind of true. During the day it's fun to visit some of the stores and coffee shops but at night it can be a bit of a shit show. Seems to attract a lot of ex-frat boys.

Capitol Hill: Where the WH is, of course! And my favorite cocktail lounge in DC. At night some areas can be less than ideal to walk around at night, FYI.

Georgetown: A neighborhood with a lot of shopping opportunities. It seems to be a bit quieter than the other neighborhoods, especially at night. Home of Georgetown Cupcakes, in which you'll see a huge line.

Dupont Circle: The most "city-like" of all the neighborhoods, IMO. Taller buildings and more high end places to go. Several museums are in and around this neighborhood.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• tcnoble said:

If you fly into Reagan, you can take metro to any hotels along the blue line or yellow line. Metro Map

Metro = the train or subway or bus sometimes (yeah, confusing, I know). 
    The train routes = line.  The blue line is the route from Alexandria to DC. The map I linked to is color coded and fairly easy to use.
    The day pass is like $10. You would need a new one for each person every day.

If I could pick anywhere to stay it would be Alexandria. They have phenomenal hotels and spas, amazing restaurants, and a free trolley to take you all the way up and down King Street all day.
    Its not quite in the city so its fairly safe and clean but still super convenient to get places on Metro. I would stay at The Lorien if funds were no issue. It is a luxury hotel and spa. They throw in all kinds of upgrades and it generally is just amazing and fancy and great. The city website can show you a little more about King Street in general.
  • tcnoble said:

Metro = the train or subway or bus sometimes (yeah, confusing, I know). 
    The train routes = line.  The blue line is the route from Alexandria to DC. The map I linked to is color coded and fairly easy to use.
    The day pass is like $10. You would need a new one for each person every day.

If I could pick anywhere to stay it would be Alexandria. They have phenomenal hotels and spas, amazing restaurants, and a free trolley to take you all the way up and down King Street all day.
    Its not quite in the city so its fairly safe and clean but still super convenient to get places on Metro. I would stay at The Lorien if funds were no issue. It is a luxury hotel and spa. They throw in all kinds of upgrades and it generally is just amazing and fancy and great. The city website can show you a little more about King Street in general.
    The Lorien is actually comparable to the prices for a hotel in Dupont Circle. I guess I'm just concerned about staying outside of the city and having to do much as far as transportation in to and out of the attraction areas.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lyndausvi said:

We stayed at the JW Marriott.   Not cheap, but you can't beat the location.  Walk-able to so many things.  Right next to the WH.   Pretty far walk to the Capital, but not horrible.  The museums are in between.   

Depending on where I'm going I do not mind spending extra per night to avoid having to travel longer distances or spending money on caps, metros or even parking.  Add in time and well those things can sometimes add up to more than the savings staying farther out.  Plus if you need a break the hotel is right there.

Just my opinion.

Contact you representative(s)  for free tickets to Capital and/or WH tours.

That's what I'm worried about as far as considering hotels in Alexandria. The prices seem pretty comparable ($1500-2000) for the six nights. Staying in Alexandria just puts us further away, which it does seem like Alexandria has it's own charm and things to see... just not sure if that's the best location for what we are after.

Attractions and good food. That's the focus of this trip :)

Right now I'm looking at the Renaissance Marriott in Dupont. Also considered the Quincy, for about $400 more (total) we would have a kitchen in the room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dh and I went to dc for our honeymoon. we stayed at the omni Shoreham right off the red line. We were walking distance to zoo and national cathedral, and got 7 day unlimited metro passes well in advance. We saw museums and did the private tour of the capital. There's a Mexican place behind the house of reps office buildings that we went for lunch our first day- great margaritas!

We did a Segway tour our first day too. Great way to see a lot of monuments and hear a local talk about some of the details we would have otherwise missed. Took a river dinner cruise via Groupon on ninas dandy. Good food and live music. Walked by ford's theater, and went to arlington Cemetery.

Didn't have time, but if you take yellow line to the south end and then a bus, you can go to mount Vernon very easily. It's restored open to public and cheap.

(Apologies for short phrasing- on my phone)

Whatever you do, don't stay at the Key Bridge Marriot In arlington. I was there a few weeks ago for a conference. View from the ballroom down the river is great, but hotel otherwise sucks. The hall to my room looked like it should have been used to film scenes in the shining. Attached are some pictures from the "recently remodeled " room I was assigned. What I can't show because of space is how they didn't properly measure the new vanity, resulting in the toilet seat not being able to stay up.
  • OP, if you are worried about staying in Alexandria, I wouldn't worry too much.  Most of DC is walkable, so having those extra moments of relaxing on the train on the way back to your hotel is welcomed!  And the King St trolley does stop at the metro station, so that can help you get to/from your hotel and the metro faster.

Also, consider getting a weekly pass for metro.  The only time you would have to watch is during rush hour, your trip can't cost more than $3.60 or they will take that difference from the balance on your card.  Before hand I purchased 2 of the smart trip cards from the Metro system and had them delivered to our house.  I would recommend using the smart trip cards, if you use the paper tickets, which are still available, you will be charged an extra $1 per one way trip.  The smart trip card only costs $2, so right there you will save some money by going that route.

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    hellohkb said:

I absolutely adore Washington DC! You and your H are going to have the best time. I'm about a 2 hour drive from DC and we drive to Virginia and stay there, so I'm useless with hotel recommendations. However, if I did stay in DC, it would be at the Donovan (http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-donovan-a-kimpton-hotel-washington) but that's just me. If you want to super close museums, I'd stay somewhere else like where Lyndausvi suggested.

My advice is to get on Yelp and pour over everything. I  even suggest to start typing in adjectives and find places you may be interested in because DC is a lot more than just the museums and White House. Familiarize yourself with streets and neighborhoods before you go, because it will really help, IMO. City-data.com is a good website to get more information on the area. If you plan on using the Metro start trying to familiarize yourself with it before you go. It's easy to use but it always helps to have some prior knowledge! 

Rasika- Indian food

Champagne Tours at the Mansion on O Street. Never been here but want to check it out next time I'm down

Wisdom- Cocktail lounge 

Ardeo- Restaurant

Macaron Bee- I loved their macarons. A nice treat to have after a day of visiting museums and shops

Logan Circle: My favorite neighborhood to go to. From what I have seen, it is more the "hip" area of DC? Cool shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Not really any museums around here but still very fun.

Adams Morgan: Everyone who has ever lived in or around DC will say AM's the place to go get drunk and it's kind of true. During the day it's fun to visit some of the stores and coffee shops but at night it can be a bit of a shit show. Seems to attract a lot of ex-frat boys.

Capitol Hill: Where the WH is, of course! And my favorite cocktail lounge in DC. At night some areas can be less than ideal to walk around at night, FYI.

Georgetown: A neighborhood with a lot of shopping opportunities. It seems to be a bit quieter than the other neighborhoods, especially at night. Home of Georgetown Cupcakes, in which you'll see a huge line.

Dupont Circle: The most "city-like" of all the neighborhoods, IMO. Taller buildings and more high end places to go. Several museums are in and around this neighborhood.

The White House is not on Capitol Hill. They are actually 12-14 blocks away.

If money was no issue, I would stay on the East side of the White House. Maybe by Metro Center, Gallery Place or China Town. All of those are centrally located to museums, bars and restaurants.

If you feel comfortable I would walk the Mall at night. It is so pretty at night and then you don't have to deal with the crowds. I have don't it multiple times and never felt unsafe.

Make sure to go to Arlington and watch the changing of the guards.

The Holocaust museum is worth your time. So it the Newsuem.  The Portrait Gallery is my favorite.

UO: I hate the spy museum. I think it is juvenile and wished I had saved my $15.  

As for the Metro, I think you can get a weekend pass for about $10. And fairs vary based on how many stops you stay on. On average its about $3 per ride.

Call your Congressman and schedule tours of the Capitol, East Wing of the White House and the Supreme Court.

I can list off a bunch on restaurants depending on price point and type of food.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    KatWAG said:

hellohkb said:

Rasika- Indian food

Wisdom- Cocktail lounge 

Ardeo- Restaurant

The White House is not on Capitol Hill. They are actually 12-14 blocks away.

If money was no issue, I would stay on the East side of the White House. Maybe by Metro Center, Gallery Place or China Town. All of those are centrally located to museums, bars and restaurants.

If you feel comfortable I would walk the Mall at night. It is so pretty at night and then you don't have to deal with the crowds. I have don't it multiple times and never felt unsafe.

Make sure to go to Arlington and watch the changing of the guards.

The Holocaust museum is worth your time. So it the Newsuem.  The Portrait Gallery is my favorite.

UO: I hate the spy museum. I think it is juvenile and wished I had saved my $15.  

As for the Metro, I think you can get a weekend pass for about $10. And fairs vary based on how many stops you stay on. On average its about $3 per ride.

Call your Congressman and schedule tours of the Capitol, East Wing of the White House and the Supreme Court.

I can list off a bunch on restaurants depending on price point and type of food.

--------------BOX WHERE DID U GO------------------

ETF: We booked The Quincy! They had a promo via trip advisor booking direct with the hotel so we booked it to lock in a price we could afford. YAY.

We are open to all types of food - I'm pickier than DH but appreciate good food of any variety. I think we would like to stay around $100 per dinner (is this reasonable or should we expect to spend more?) and maybe splurge one night for a more expensive option.

ETA: We anticipate about $200 per day for food/snacks while we are out. So about $1,000 for the week. Again, is this reasonable?

All this talk and info is great - we have been dreaming of a trip to DC for so long and it's exciting to finally get to do it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always laugh @ "Foggy Bottom" lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Founding Farmers is farm to table type food with a huge menu. Make your reservations early.

Matchbox has great burgers.

Central Michael Richard is great and reasonably priced. American food.

TenPen: Asian fusion, A little pricey but great.

Jaleo: cheap Spanish food, pretty close to the WH

Zaytinya: cheap/ trendy Greek

Bens Chili Bowl: cheap chili. Huge tourist spot now.

Old Ebbitt Grill: Brunch. Historic place across from the WH

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

Founding Farmers is farm to table type food with a huge menu. Make your reservations early.

I'm a bit of a Top Chef nerd and know that several of the chefs have restaurants in D.C. Do you know of/recommend any??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tcnoble said:

KatWAG said:

Founding Farmers is farm to table type food with a huge menu. Make your reservations early.

I'm a bit of a Top Chef nerd and know that several of the chefs have restaurants in D.C. Do you know of/recommend any??

I haven't personally eaten at any of them. Sorry!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

tcnoble said:

KatWAG said:

I haven't personally eaten at any of them. Sorry!
    -------------------
    We were thinking they were possibly hyped up because of the Top Chef aspect... we want to make sure we are hitting the REAL good places while we are there :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

We went to OEG after we got engaged. The place was PACKED even though it was a Saturday late afternoon, but we snagged seats at one of the back bars. Since DH doesn't do seafood, I went to town on soft-shell crabs and oyster shooters. The bartender even gave us free champagne when we said we were celebrating our engagement. We went to walk the monuments under the stars after dinner. It was pretty amazing.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    tcnoble said:

KatWAG said:

DH and I's first date was at Ink, and we ate at Herringbone in SD. So we are totally going to have to scope these out!
  • tcnoble said:

KatWAG said:

Hello! I can recommend Kapnos- it is George (from this season) and Mike Isabellas. Kapnos is delicious and has a good atmosphere. Mike also has Graffito- which is good but a little overpriced I think. Graffito is right next to Itzakya which is my favorite place right now- its ramen downstairs but upstairs is great Japenese small plates. In general I recommend reservations for places unless you are not starving and are ok with waiting a bit for the bar. 

I think 100 per meal is doable if you watch your drinks. We usually end up in the 150 range when we are not paying attention. I live in the Dupont area so please feel free to ask more questions. 

I think the best touristy thing to do is a monument tour at night- that way you see all of the ones that are spaced further out, and I just love how they look at night. If you are near the white house stop by the round robin in the Willard for a drink (if you are a little dressed up). Im never blown away by it or anything but its very "DC" and has been getting a lot of press as the best dc bar. My favorite museum is the Portrait Gallery on 7th street- tons of lunch places around there too so if you do the other museum in the morning head over to 7th street for lunch and then do the portrait museum 

• KatWAG said:

e

Since when is Zaytinya cheap? I feel like I usually spend $50-$60 pp with a drink or two. When I think of cheap Greek food I think of gyro platters, not tapas.

Central is indeed awesome, and walkable to a lot of good spots. Nobody has mentioned U Street-lots of good restaurants. Eastern Market too, especially after spending. A day walking around Capitol Hill.
  • KatWAG said:

e

Since when is Zaytinya cheap? I feel like I usually spend $50-$60 pp with a drink or two. When I think of cheap Greek food I think of gyro platters, not tapas.

Central is indeed awesome, and walkable to a lot of good spots. Nobody has mentioned U Street-lots of good restaurants. Eastern Market too, especially after spending. A day walking around Capitol Hill.
    yeah I think that about both Zaytina and Jaleo. Its usually around 170 for me and H when we go to either. Personally I think Zaytina is a skip. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards