New Jersey

Average cost of wedding dress?

Hi I am going to try on some dresses. I feel like $2300 is a lot for a dress. But some people are telling me that's "average" now a days.

What is the average price for a dress in the Tri-State area?

Thank you :)

Re: Average cost of wedding dress?

• That is going to vary widely based on a lot of factors. As long as the price of the dress fits within your budget, it doesn't matter what anyone else paid for their dress.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• majesty318majesty318 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2015

I agree with Cookie Pusher. Are you comfortable spending $1000, $500, $10000, none of the above? Personally I refused to spend even $1000. I only went to David's Bridal and had a strict budget in mind, and I was not going over it.

Some advice: Once you determine your budget, don't try on anything over that price. No point in getting your hopes up for something you can't have. And also, once you buy a dress, stop looking at all dresses so you don't start second guessing.

• ^I agree with majesty's advice. I don't know what the average price is, but I personally think more than 2500 is a lot for a dress. I love my dress and it cost $1400. I don't think you have to spend a fortune to get a nice dress.
  • I agree with all the other girls. I would also make sure you budget for all your accessories also (veil, belt, shoes ect).

I set myself 1 budget for everything including alterations and while my dress was $1,900 once I added in my veil, sash, shoes, jewelry and alterations I was just under the $4,000 budget that I set.
  • I paid $1600 for my dress, including alterations.  

I had great success at Arlene's Bridal in Bloomfield, NJ and Hollywood Bridal in Kenilworth, NJ- LOTS of beautiful dresses under $2k!
  • Yea when it comes to dresses it's all about preference and what your pockets can handle.... My experience you can definitely find a nice dress for below $2300....However, if you want something 'different' and/or designer then you will definitely spend more.... 

As Jenn7778 stated, you definitely have to consider everything after the dress, shoes, veil, alterations, etc....

• I went with a non-traditional dress (it was a white prom dress) that I was able to find on eBay from a reputable seller. With shipping and the cost of alterations (it only needed to be hemmed), I spent around $100. My sister went to David's Bridal and found a gorgeous dress there - for $400 before alterations. I attended a wedding years ago where the bride spent 10k on her dress, veil, alterations, and accessories. Set your budget and keep an open mind when you go looking for dresses.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• There are plenty of beautiful dresses for well under $2,300!  I bought my dress from Park Ave Bridals in Verona.  While I didn't have a hard budget, I think I told them I had hoped to keep it under $1,800.  The dresses the consultant picked were beautiful and all well within that price.  In fact, my dress came in at $1,300.
  • I think my dress with alterations came to about $3000.  I didn't spend a lot on accessories though I think that came in under $500.

Anniversary

• it varies on where you go and the quality of the gown. I'd say between 1500-5000 with alterations and additions factored in.

• i got my dress at bijou bridal in paramus. the dresses are amazing and the most expensive i think was 4500, but alot withing the 1500-2800 budget. their veils are also gorgous and not that crazy expensive either and i got a rhinestone belt built in and i got 10% off since i got my gown there, the belt was i think 385 and veil 300
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards