Chit Chat

Benzoyl peroxide burn

Holyyyyy shit. 

I use a salicylic acid gel on my zits. I have pretty good skin but I always get 1 large whitehead at a time. I will put heat on it, pop it with a sterile needle and put the gel on. I realize that maybe the gel doesn't help at all and I was throwing money away.

So I try a little acne cream that has benzoyl peroxide in it instead. The first time I used it on my zits it cleared it right the fuck up. No popping needed. AND THEN for some fucking reason I rubbed it in like a lotion around the problem area. 

So it burnt me good. I looked like I had a sunburn on my chin only. I've been putting aloe and vitamin E cream on it, and it's healing slow. I'm on day 3 of the burn and the redness has gone down and my skin isn't as shiny. It hurt and itched so bad but today it's just a little irritated.  Thank god I didn't try it close to my wedding. It worked well but only with a TINY amount. And maybe not several days in a row. 

What the fuck was I thinking? I know better. 

Tell me your stupid beauty fuck-ups so I feel less stupid. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Benzoyl peroxide burn

• Oof!  Try aquaphor instead of aloe.

I haven't burned by face that badly, but I have left on Nair for a little too long and gotten a nice red spot on the upper lip.  I'm sure I have done something worse, but I just woke up and can't think of any atm.

• I found out that I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide by using Proactiv. I broke out all over my face. It was awful.

I have super sensitive skin so I can't use most drugstore makeup. I had run out of my MAC foundation and was too lazy to drive to the mall. So I ran into CVS and bought some other brand. Within 3 hours, I had hundreds of tiny red bumps all over my face and neck. It didn't go away for about a week and I couldn't wear any makeup at all.
  • I bought and used a Salicylic Acid peel for my face- except it was a 30% solution, and I am not a professional... parts of my face burned so bad they were PURPLE...  then red, then I peeled all over the place.  

Never. Again.
  • I found out that I'm allergic to benzoyl peroxide by using Proactiv. I broke out all over my face. It was awful.

I have super sensitive skin so I can't use most drugstore makeup. I had run out of my MAC foundation and was too lazy to drive to the mall. So I ran into CVS and bought some other brand. Within 3 hours, I had hundreds of tiny red bumps all over my face and neck. It didn't go away for about a week and I couldn't wear any makeup at all.

Ow. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I used to use benzoyl peroxide all the time for my problem skin.  Never burned myself, but the shit stains.  So everywhere I touched when I had benzoyl peroxide on my face, or even if there was some still on my hands, looked like I had bleached it.  Necklines of shirts, face towels, blankets and sheets, even the paint on the wall next to my bed was turned from blue to pink because of that stuff.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I used to use benzoyl peroxide all the time for my problem skin.  Never burned myself, but the shit stains.  So everywhere I touched when I had benzoyl peroxide on my face, or even if there was some still on my hands, looked like I had bleached it.  Necklines of shirts, face towels, blankets and sheets, even the paint on the wall next to my bed was turned from blue to pink because of that stuff.

So true. The Kid has started to care about the zits all over his face. His mom told him to rub Oxy all over his face everynight. Now he complains about his face itching and has ruined 3 of the nice new towels we got as wedding gifts (grrrr-- he keeps "forgetting" to use the old ones for his face) as well as bleaching spots on his favorite sheets. He's even bleached the neck of a few favorite t-shirts.

I haven't used benzoyl peroxide in years. I had too many problems. Now I just use the trick my mom taught me-- a little rubbing alcohol. I pull out the tea tree oil when things get ugly. I also have an old tube of Clean & Clear that I keep, just in case.

Eventually I'll get The Kid to listen to me. I make an effort to have clear skin. His mom has horrible skin. He assumes that she knows more because her skin is worse. *facepalm
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I, too, am allergic to benzoyl peroxide.

When my skin gets really bad I use prescription stuff, like Retin-A. When I first started using it nobody told me that you can't get your face waxed. So I get my eyebrows waxed and it ripped off that really delicate skin right under my brows. Definitely looked weird.
  • larrygaga said:

Holyyyyy shit. 

I use a salicylic acid gel on my zits. I have pretty good skin but I always get 1 large whitehead at a time. I will put heat on it, pop it with a sterile needle and put the gel on. I realize that maybe the gel doesn't help at all and I was throwing money away.

So I try a little acne cream that has benzoyl peroxide in it instead. The first time I used it on my zits it cleared it right the fuck up. No popping needed. AND THEN for some fucking reason I rubbed it in like a lotion around the problem area. 

So it burnt me good. I looked like I had a sunburn on my chin only. I've been putting aloe and vitamin E cream on it, and it's healing slow. I'm on day 3 of the burn and the redness has gone down and my skin isn't as shiny. It hurt and itched so bad but today it's just a little irritated.  Thank god I didn't try it close to my wedding. It worked well but only with a TINY amount. And maybe not several days in a row. 

What the fuck was I thinking? I know better. 

Tell me your stupid beauty fuck-ups so I feel less stupid. 
    That's interesting.  I have fairly sensitive skin but I use 10% benzoyl peroxide cream all over my face, every night, and have never had a reaction like that.  I use salicylic acid for black heads and benzoyl peroxide for whiteheads/cystic zits.

• Did I have an allergic reaction or a burn? Mine is 10% as well. It looks like a shiny sunburn.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I gave myself a third degree burn on m forehead last weekend with the curling iron... Not so pretty.

It turns out I am also allergic to mineral makeup, give me chemicals all day, mineral makeup and WWIII breaks out on my face.

• larrygaga said:

The Kid?

It's fine! Though the recent phase of ruining every nice fabric is annoying. And I'll admit that the 16 year old asshole phase is getting old- it's karma for my own teen years!

I just call him The Kid because calling him DS feels insincere since we have an agreement. He already has 2 moms who make his life miserable and doesn't want another. They're messes who see him when it's convenient and basically follow the stereotypes of the deadbeat weekend dad. Instead of being his mom, we've agreed that I'll be another "responsible adult" with his dad. I do all of the stuff a mom should do- make sure he eats right, dog him about his homework, pay for his expenses, keep him out of trouble- the stuff his moms avoid. But for now, I raise him with DH (sadly, more me than DH until he graduates next month). The Kid's therapist assures us that we're not screwing up (often) so I'm pretty proud of myself!

He might trust his mom about acne but I'm the one who helps with homework, problems with friends, and fixes him up after a bad day. I get all the work but I'm also the mom he depends on. Totally worth it.

And now I have a massive zit of my own on my chin!
  • BFF lent me some of her prescription face wash to try.  I didn't check the ingredients, and now all of my new towels are stained pink. Ugh.  

I also had a disagreement with a black head the other day, and wouldn't just let it do it's thing.  The results were not good.  So stupid.  I'm not 16 anymore and I know better than to pick.  

• Ugh, I feel you. I can't use anything with salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide on my face or it will freaking explode. So whenever I get a zit, I usually just have to live with it until it goes away on it's own.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards