Outdoor Weddings

Seating/Timing Problem

Fiancee and I are getting married in a state park. Waterfall in the background, open area out in front. Gorgeous venue. And impossible to get chairs in for all the guests, due to both time, budget and practicality.

The location we're getting married at has a very strict 30 minute limit, start to finish, for wedding ceremonies. That's including set-up. That means that we do not have time to haul 65 chairs in and set them up and then take them down again afterwards, or even have a company do that. Setting up chairs for elderly relatives is more than possible. Setting up chairs for everyone? Not happening. This is a very popular wedding venue, and I've seen other couples that have somehow managed chairs, but I'm at a loss as for how. Even if we were using a company, by the time we got the chairs set up, we'd be out of time!

So, I'm looking for alternatives. Has to be very fast, very easy and it also has to be dirt cheap. Our budget is insanely tiny. The ceremony itself is going to be short (obviously), but people keep reiterating the fact that there has to be a chair or every butt.

Re: Seating/Timing Problem

• lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

Fiancee and I are getting married in a state park. Waterfall in the background, open area out in front. Gorgeous venue. And impossible to get chairs in for all the guests, due to both time, budget and practicality.

The location we're getting married at has a very strict 30 minute limit, start to finish, for wedding ceremonies. That's including set-up. That means that we do not have time to haul 65 chairs in and set them up and then take them down again afterwards, or even have a company do that. Setting up chairs for elderly relatives is more than possible. Setting up chairs for everyone? Not happening. This is a very popular wedding venue, and I've seen other couples that have somehow managed chairs, but I'm at a loss as for how. Even if we were using a company, by the time we got the chairs set up, we'd be out of time!

So, I'm looking for alternatives. Has to be very fast, very easy and it also has to be dirt cheap. Our budget is insanely tiny. The ceremony itself is going to be short (obviously), but people keep reiterating the fact that there has to be a chair or every butt.

Unfortunately, having chairs for everyone is non-negotiable. You need a seat for every butt, no matter how long your ceremony is, if your guests are able-bodied, etc.

Your only options that I can see to accomplish this (since you said you would run out of time) are to find a new venue that can accommodate this or hire a third party who can do the set up and take down of the chairs.

Could you talk to the venue to see how others have done this in the past? If you have enough people hired to do the set up, I don't see how this can take more than 5 minutes.

Formerly martha1818

• Unfortunately, this is the only venue we can afford. Which also is why I can't afford to hire a ton of people.
  • Unfortunately, this is the only venue we can afford. Which also is why I can't afford to hire a ton of people.

Why not just get married at your reception site?  Because if you are having guests at your wedding then you need to host them afterwards.  Look, chairs are a must.  Your guests will be arriving about 15 minutes prior to your start time and they need a place to sit.  I don't know about you but I would not be happy standing for 30 minutes in heels in grass.

And it isn't only the elderly that needs chairs.  Pregnant ladies, younger individuals who may have major back and knee problems, and just your regular ole Joe who just shouldn't have to stand for 30 minutes because you planned poorly, need a place to stick their butts.

• The waterfalls have religious significance to me, which is why we're being married in front of them. The reception site has seating in the form of picnic tables. That being said, if anyone shows up in heels, they're crazy. Attire is casual, practical footwear required. Chairs are a logistical impossibility. And chairs are not a requirement. There are other seating options, which is what I'm trying to find. Just because it's not a chair doesn't mean you can't sit on it.

• mikenbergermikenberger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015

The waterfalls have religious significance to me, which is why we're being married in front of them. The reception site has seating in the form of picnic tables. That being said, if anyone shows up in heels, they're crazy. Attire is casual, practical footwear required. Chairs are a logistical impossibility. And chairs are not a requirement. There are other seating options, which is what I'm trying to find. Just because it's not a chair doesn't mean you can't sit on it.

Chairs are ABSOLUTELY a requirement. If this waterfall is more important to you than you guests' comfort, then don't invite guests.
    Proper seating is a requirement. I'm not going to be sitting on a rock in my sundress with my casual sandals. I want a chair to sit in. If you don't care about where your guests sit, or would rather they fend for themselves, don't invite people.

You've already stated that having chairs IS a possibility as other weddings have had chairs for their ceremonies. You're just giving excuses about how this shouldn't/can't apply to you.

Proper hosting applies to all brides and grooms. The end.

ETA: Typing is hard.

• The waterfalls have religious significance to me, which is why we're being married in front of them. The reception site has seating in the form of picnic tables. That being said, if anyone shows up in heels, they're crazy. Attire is casual, practical footwear required. Chairs are a logistical impossibility. And chairs are not a requirement. There are other seating options, which is what I'm trying to find. Just because it's not a chair doesn't mean you can't sit on it.

You said you have 30 minutes to set up, get married and tear down.  The only proper seating are chairs/benches.  No one should sit on the ground or on a nearby rock or stand the entire time. Period.  So you need to talk to vendors about chairs and discuss your time limitations.  If getting proper seating is not possible then sorry but you will have to forgo getting married in front of the waterfall.  Get pictures done in front of it instead.  Your guests comfort comes before your vision.

Chairs are ABSOLUTELY a requirement. If this waterfall is more important to you than you guests' comfort, then don't invite guests.
    This. This X100. Your attachment to a waterfall shouldn't trump people, but if it does, don't have people. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • edited March 2015
    There are very few actual "must haves" for weddings, but seating is definitely one of them. If you prioritized your venue (which has strict time limits), that's fine, but then you absolutely must find a way to have seating for each person. 

I would rent two back to back time slots from the park. If they're only allowing you 30 minutes, that'll give you 60 minutes. That should provide plenty of time for set up, ceremony and tear down.

Another option would be to hire 5 or 6 high school kids. Each one can easily move 10-15 chairs in a matter of minutes. They can stand by during the ceremony and quickly move the chairs out afterwards.

Yet another option would be to have your ceremony at your reception venue and then use your 30 minute slot at the falls to take photos. 

If you are eloping, you don't need to take anyone's comfort into consideration. But the minute you invite people, you're the hosts and your job is to take care of your guests. That means seats for every butt, food/drink appropriate for the time of day, shelter from the elements and not asking your guests to work at your wedding. It's not a long list of must-have's. 

Speaking of elements, what is your plan B if it rains or is extremely cold hot?

ETF: cold changed to hot - I see from your posting history that you're getting married in August. This link should be helpful for you: https://weatherspark.com/averages/30616/8/Ithaca-New-York-United-States
    *********************************************************************************

• Sorry, you need to have a proper seat for every single person in attendance at your ceremony. This is not negotiable. Hire a company to do this for you. Otherwise, change the ceremony venue. 

Also, practical footwear is "required"? What if someone wears something you don't consider practical? Will you be confiscating their shoes? 
  • What about benches? That way instead of having to move in 65 chairs (or whatever), you only have to move in 10 or so.
  • Out of curiousity, do you have religious attachment to all waterfalls or just this one (serious question, not snarky)?

Anniversary

• What about benches? That way instead of having to move in 65 chairs (or whatever), you only have to move in 10 or so.

I was about to suggest this. It would take less than ten minutes for both set up and tear down if you had a team of about four people bringing them in and out. 

OP, having seating (not on the grass, or a rock, but actual seating) is mandatory for your guests.  Also, I hope you are not thinking of mandating a dress code on your invitations.  People will know by the formality of the venues/invitations what to wear. 

• I would rent two time slots so you have plenty of time. Benches would be a great option too, but are harder to find for rent in some areas than folding chairs. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Benches would be a great solution, but I'm not even sure where to start looking where to rent them. Any ideas? The normal wedding vendors I've been checking with only have chairs.

The park actually doesn't allow back-to-back slots, mostly because they don't charge for them. We're paying for the rental of the pavillion where we're having the reception, which is indoors. We do have an excellent Plan B if it rains, or if the waterfalls are too dry.

As to the person who snarked at "appropriate shoes," it's not like I'll be confiscating them, but if you'd like to show up to a wedding and try to walk across part of a state park lawn in three inch heels, be my guest. I'll just stand over here and watch you pull your shoes out of the ground.

I'm aware of the temperature averages for the park where we're getting married. We checked long before deciding on the when/where.

I do have a religious connection to the waterfalls in particular. It's strongly important. Somehow, I prefer my religion over someone's insistence that anything except chairs doesn't count as seating, which is all I'm getting from a lot of people. Which, frankly, is just annoying. I want seating. I just don't want to rush everything, so I'm trying to find better solutions. Benches are good. I'm looking for other ideas, as well.

I never said I was mandating a dress code. Hopefully my guests will realize that practical footwear is better than spike heels, considering the wedding is at a state park.

Thank you to everyone who has actually come up with helpful solutions instead of protesting that the only real seat is a chair. Must have a hell of a time at public functions when all they have is pews or benches.

• Benches would be a great solution, but I'm not even sure where to start looking where to rent them. Any ideas? The normal wedding vendors I've been checking with only have chairs.

The park actually doesn't allow back-to-back slots, mostly because they don't charge for them. We're paying for the rental of the pavillion where we're having the reception, which is indoors. We do have an excellent Plan B if it rains, or if the waterfalls are too dry.

As to the person who snarked at "appropriate shoes," it's not like I'll be confiscating them, but if you'd like to show up to a wedding and try to walk across part of a state park lawn in three inch heels, be my guest. I'll just stand over here and watch you pull your shoes out of the ground.

I'm aware of the temperature averages for the park where we're getting married. We checked long before deciding on the when/where.

I do have a religious connection to the waterfalls in particular. It's strongly important. Somehow, I prefer my religion over someone's insistence that anything except chairs doesn't count as seating, which is all I'm getting from a lot of people. Which, frankly, is just annoying. I want seating. I just don't want to rush everything, so I'm trying to find better solutions. Benches are good. I'm looking for other ideas, as well.

I never said I was mandating a dress code. Hopefully my guests will realize that practical footwear is better than spike heels, considering the wedding is at a state park.

Thank you to everyone who has actually come up with helpful solutions instead of protesting that the only real seat is a chair. Must have a hell of a time at public functions when all they have is pews or benches.

To the bolded - I would just start calling rental companies in your area. This is an international board, so there are probably very few (if any) people familiar with bench rental companies in upstate NY. It may be helpful to try posting that question to your local board as well in case anyone tried to do the same thing.

If you can't find a company that rents benches, chairs may be the only other solution. I would hire 5 or 6 high school kids to do set up/tear down. 

Is a park ranger literally going to be sitting there watching you to make sure you don't start a minute early or that you don't have some chairs still set up a minute after your time slot? If they are, then get more high school kids. If they're not, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

The other thing to think about is sound. waterfalls are generally pretty loud, especially Taughannock Falls. How many guests do you have? Will people be able to hear the officiant?  
    *********************************************************************************

• We're calling all over the place. *laughs* We've actually been looking for other vendors because the one we found has the world's sketchiest website. The rental company would set the chairs up and take them down, however.

Local board is dead as a doornail. I'm not looking for specific businesses, per se, but maybe types of businesses I hadn't thought of that aren't directly wedding rental places.

Well, sort of. We're right across from a ranger booth, actually.

We've been down to Taughannock repeatedly, and the sound of the falls were never loud enough to bother. We'll be able to hear the officiant fine, but that is something to consider. :) Thanks. We're getting married down by the lower falls, which are considerably quieter.

There's a very big difference between telling your guests what kind of footwear you're requiring, and giving them information about the ceremony spot so that they can make an informed decisions themselves. You should never be dictating things like that to people. And what you said in your post:

Attire is casual, practical footwear required

would lead most people to believe you were dictating attire. 

• Well, good thing it's a forum post, then, huh? I wasn't aware most people used their posts on the forum as invites, since clearly you seem to think so.

I only saw people stating that a rock or the ground is not a real seat, not that a "chair" is your only option. As many PP's said, a bench would work great. I DO have a hard time at public functions where their are no actual seats (pews and benches are actual seats). With two hip surgeries and a back surgery standing for long periods of time is difficult, as is getting up from the ground. People are just asking you to be considerate of your guests that may have issues you are not aware of. 
  • Religious significance of the waterfalls or not, if it isn't possible for you to set up and remove seating for your guests and hold the ceremony in the time the venue will allow you, you need to hold the ceremony elsewhere, because your guests' basic needs, of which sufficient seating is one, trump all others at a wedding. The only situation in which that isn't true is when there are no guests.
  • tojaitojai member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Have you called the venue yet to ask how other people have chairs at their ceremony?  That seems by far the easiest place to start.
  • I know I'm a little late to this, but maybe you could find out who has the time slot either before or after your ceremony and share the costs and setup/breakdown time for seating. That way, instead of having to allocate time for setup and breakdown, you could handle the setup and the next wedding does the breakdown. There is a free ceremony venue in my area, and I have seen brides on my local board find each other and do this type of sharing arrangement for chairs. 
  • You have 65 people. Just do benches (you can make them out of some logs and some 2x12's lying on top. Those can be set up and taken down in a matter of minutes. Assume 6 people per bench, and do 10 benches. 

If you do decide to do chairs, many people are willing to help move them afterwards, but getting them set up... That's another story.
  • You have 65 people. Just do benches (you can make them out of some logs and some 2x12's lying on top. Those can be set up and taken down in a matter of minutes. Assume 6 people per bench, and do 10 benches. 

If you do decide to do chairs, many people are willing to help move them afterwards, but getting them set up... That's another story.
    6 X 10 = 60. She has 65 people. I think she would want to do at least 10 of these in case people took up more than just 24 inches per butt. Plus people will leave space between them and want to sit together as a family - so a family of 5 would need to find a single guest. KWIM?

Also, I wouldn't bank on guests moving chairs. It'd be rude to ask and most will not just think about picking up their chair and moving it somewhere.

• fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    Just a thought if the reception has picnic tables, are the benches attached? Could you have some people move the benches to the ceremony site then to the reception if the distances aren't too far apart?

I also like a PP's idea of hooking up with the people before or after you and sharing cost.

• NO LET IT DIE
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards