Chit Chat

Upper lip hair

So, I thought I'd ask - what do you guys do to get rid of that gross upper lip hair? I use tweezers but find them suboptimal/ painful/ traumatic. The idea of putting wax on my face freaks me out. I have been looking into laser hair removal but kind of scared of that too given reported complications. Any good/bad experiences with that? Or other recommendations? 
- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 

Re: Upper lip hair

• Wax for sure.  How are you afraid of wax but not afraid of a laser coming at your face?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I use a trimmer. My hair grows too absurdly fast for waxing to be practical (I already have to tweeze my eyebrows daily, that's more than enough pain every day), bleaching made the hair even MORE noticeable, and I have been too lazy about making an appointment for laser.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I use the eyebrow trimmers you can easily find in the make-up areas of most stores. Granted, it's not a long lasting fix but it works!
  • Waxing is really no big deal, I definitely recommend facing your fear!  Take ibuprofen a half-hour before the wax and go somewhere that does hard-wax (the wax rapidly dries around the hair and then is lifted off the skin) rather than soft-way (a strip of paper is applied to the wax to tear it away).  It's really not that painful!
  • Those Nads wax strips and tweezers in between, same with eyebrows. Far less painful then when I used to actually go get my eyebrows waxed, but that wasn't really so bad either. Waxing is pretty painless IMO.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I shave my whole face.

• I had laser treatments a few years ago.  No big deal, but it was expensive!  It really helped, but didn't completely solve the problem.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Nair for the face.  I use it around my eyebrows too when they're really unruly.

• I had laser done which helped but I should get more treatments. I'll shave it as needed.
  • I bleach my eyebrows a little bit to match my hair, so I just bleach the ladystache at the same time. I don't mind the little hairs as long as they aren't dark.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I am going to pop in here and remind you hairy ladies that you all probably have gorgeous eyebrows and lovely thick hair.

*runs away to tease fine hair and draw on non-existent eyebrows*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I use this. It's very fine hair that grows in, so this works perfectly. 

• Wax isn't very painful, and it's fine after about 3 seconds. Hard wax is less painful that soft, and also less likely to result in ingrown hairs.

Lasers can leave you with redness for days, if you've got fair/sensitive skin.
  • So I've had experience with lasers AND wax AND nair AND bleach. (Is it the Polish heritage? The German? The Welsh? Who knows!)

I used to bleach my upper lip when I was younger. It sucked, and especially once I got older and it started growing thicker, it stopped being a good coverup (also, bleached lip hair is ridiculous once you get a tan!)

Then I switched to a depilatory. Total bullshit, it smells like burning plus you have to do it like every third day. NEXT!

Then I used storebought wax. Sally Hansen used to have (maybe still does?) a little pot that you had to microwave. It was extremely effective, but definitely a pain in the ass.

Now I use their simple wax strips. You warm them up in your palms, pull them apart, and they're good to go. 

As far as laser is concerned: I did it around my bikini line, and it was EXCELLENT. The technology has come a long way, so this might not be the case necessarily, but I have been told the best candidates have dark hair and pale skin (the laser is attracted to the pigment). So if that's you, it may well be worth it. Note though, that there's not a guarantee that 100% of the hair will disappear, so you may end up doing a combination of laser (to thin) and other techniques to deal with the rest. It also takes several months, since you do a session ever 4-6 weeks or so since it only works on hair that is in a growth phase, and you may have multiple phases going on at once in any given patch of hair.

I urge you not to fear the wax. Maybe try a professional at a salon the first time? Then you can get a sense of what it feels like/how fast you have to pull to make it work. It stings, but it only hurts for a few minutes. I wash my face with cold water afterwards and that helps a lot (also worth using soap since most kits give you an oil to remove any excess sticky wax, and I tend to break out if I leave the oil on my face).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I use this. It's very fine hair that grows in, so this works perfectly. 

What brand is that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:

I am going to pop in here and remind you hairy ladies that you all probably have gorgeous eyebrows and lovely thick hair.

And some of us like this when it gets out of hand.  image
  • blabla89 said:

I use this. It's very fine hair that grows in, so this works perfectly. 

What brand is that?
    I honestly no idea. I bought it at CVS and googled personal hair trimmer to find the picture. 
  • larrygaga said:

I am going to pop in here and remind you hairy ladies that you all probably have gorgeous eyebrows and lovely thick hair.

I have very fine hair and thick, unruly eyebrows (the hair has actually migrated to my eyelids, hence the daily tweezing)!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I also just give it a quick shave.

Anniversary
  • luckily mine is not that bad yet FI says he can see it but i dont hear it from anyone else. when i decide on doing something for it i will probably try laser. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards