Chit Chat

How many towels do you have?

Kind of a weird/random question, but it was something I was thinking about yesterday with the Macy's family and friends event going on.

We have such a mix of old, mismatched towels that we use right now. I want new towels for our bathroom and then some that will match the new shower curtain in our guest bathroom. I was thinking about just getting two for each bathroom, but then as I was doing laundry, I was thinking I'd probably want extras. We do occasionally have more than two guests at a time too. Four of each seems excessive though, but maybe not?

How many do you have? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How many towels do you have?

• We also have a bunch of old towels. I recently bought two new ones from Target. Two was definitely not enough. I don't think four is too many, if you find yourself using them often enough. We have a bad habit of using a towel, then walking out of the bathroom with it and leaving it somewhere in the house, sometimes leaving us with a shortage of towels.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I have one bathroom, two people showering and I have about 6-8 towels. I think two per bathroom and a few extra sounds good! You never know!

I have a lot of towels because my new registry ones ended up matching my old ones, and they are still fluffy and nice.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

I have six sets in our master bathroom. And four sets in our guest bathroom. It works fine for us.

It depends on how many times you use your towels before you consider them dirty. And how frequently you do laundry.

ETA: I am counting by total number of towel sets.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ummm, probably 10+?  A lot of them are old, and we bought new sets when we bought our house (4 for the master, and 4 for the hall bath, plus the hand towels and wash cloths), and I'm registering for 6 more "sets" (towel, hand towel, washcloth). 

Think about it... towels are not something you ever really want to be short on. 

Married 9.12.15
  • We have two each in 2 different colors, and then a hodgepodge of random towels in the linen closet. We rarely have guests, and even more rarely have multiple guests at the same time. All of our hodgepodge towels are actually coordinating colors of our main towels so everything still looks fine together. We have one bathroom and do laundry weekly, so we just didn't feel the need to fill up our tiny linen closet with too much stuff.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• JennyColadaJennyColada member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    We have 4 bathtowels (there are two of us, and we have 2 sets), and 3 handtowels (1 put out, and 2 sets, 1 for guest bathroom).

I have four washcloths that I keep in my designated bathroom drawer that I use when I wash my face (we could do with 2, but they were sold i a pack of 4).

We probably have more kitchen towels than anything. DH likes his kitchen towels.
  • I have two that I keep in the bathroom for washing hands and maybe six that I bought at Target to use when someone takes a shower.
  • I was just assessing our towel situation yesterday. I think right now, we have close to 20 towels for the two of us. I use two at a time (one for hair, one for body) that I switch out after 3-4 uses. H has a habit of using a new towel almost every time he showers because he forgets to grab the one he'd been using from the previous day. If we had less towels, I would end up having to wash them every single week. Right now I can probably go close to two weeks before I have to wash anything. On top of that, the dog has 6 old towels of his own - he still pees in his crate during the day so he pretty much gets a new one every day.

My advice - you can never have too many towels. I'd rather have the excessive amount that we have now over doing laundry more often.

• We have too many towels. We have 3 hanging up in the bathroom; the two that I use when I shower and then the 1 FI uses. Then we probably have 3 or 4 more in the vanity in there. 

Then we have some older, rattier ones in the linen closet (those typically only get used to give the dogs a bath). 

We have some on our registry and we've gotten a few so far, so as we get new ones we've been throwing the old gross ones out. (Like the ones with shredded edges, holes, bleach marks, etc). We'd probably be fine with 6 regular towels and then maybe 2 gross towels for the dogs. 
  • At least a dozen. H has lots of old stanky ones that I want to get rid of but he insists on keeping "for the gym," then actually uses them to shower at home. Bleh. 

New house has two full bathrooms. I plan to have at least 4 for each one. Two hanging/in use, and at least 2 backups.

• We have 2 sets of every color towel we own. We have 3 colors for the master and 2 for the guest bathroom. There are also some college towels that don't match anything that we use to dry off the dogs.
  • We have, I think, maybe 9 pairs?  All were wedding gifts.  I wash our current towels once a week and then swap them out for a different colour.

That was one of my greatest joys, actually - swapping out my old, ratty towels for new wedding towels.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • This is very helpful everyone! Thank you! 

We registered for some towels as well, which have been purchased, but I'm thinking I will go ahead and buy another set or two. We'll probably keep a few of the older ones on hand for messes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WAY too many. Like 10 for our bathroom and 8 for our guest bathroom. 

Why? I have no idea. I want to get rid of some but they are brand new. And obviously the guest towels are barely used. I have some boxed up in the basement for when the ones we're using wear out.
    *********************************************************************************

• We have 6 full-length body towels, probably 6 hand towels, and a ton of wash clothes. I typically use 2 towels every time I shower (1 hair, 1 body) and FI uses 1, so that lets us rotate out new towels every 4 days or so...I might be slightly neurotic about clean towels.
  • I don't even know how many old towels we have. They seem to multiply in our tiny hall closet. I think we have at least a dozen towels, and most have holes or worn edges, and none of them match.

We will get grown-up towels one day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We must have at least 20. 8 are new. We threw out some old ratty ones that the dog ripped up. But have some older ones that are in perfectly good condition, just mismatched.

We probably have 6-8 hand towels and 8 wash cloths? We have two bathrooms and I use 2 towels for my shower. I usually end up using the towels maybe twice. It depends on how wet they are. 

• I think we have 6 different colors and two towels in each color.  We also have two hand towels and two washcloths in each color.  Personally I wish I had more but our linen closet is so freaking small that that is all the towels we can fit in there with the addition of 2 sets of sheets.  I mean for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house you would think they would have made a larger linen closet.

I personally don't get buying towels that match your shower curtain or other accessories (like the decorative towels).  Usually those towels aren't used but are rather decorative.  I think it would be better to just get solid coordinating colors in regards to your bathroom decor so that way when you put them out for use they will match but they aren't the decorative towels that you can't touch.

• I think we have 6 different colors and two towels in each color.  We also have two hand towels and two washcloths in each color.  Personally I wish I had more but our linen closet is so freaking small that that is all the towels we can fit in there with the addition of 2 sets of sheets.  I mean for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house you would think they would have made a larger linen closet.

I personally don't get buying towels that match your shower curtain or other accessories (like the decorative towels).  Usually those towels aren't used but are rather decorative.  I think it would be better to just get solid coordinating colors in regards to your bathroom decor so that way when you put them out for use they will match but they aren't the decorative towels that you can't touch.
    I say matching, but I guess I just mean coordinating colors. I am getting gray towels for our bathroom and navy for the upstairs. They are just solid colors that go with the colors in the bathroom. Our upstairs shower curtain is navy and white stripes. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Ick, I hate the ones with coordinating designs because those accents are normally sewn-on fabric or embroidery that is NOT absorbent. You just made your towel less effective and more scratchy.

• littlepep said:

I think we have 6 different colors and two towels in each color.  We also have two hand towels and two washcloths in each color.  Personally I wish I had more but our linen closet is so freaking small that that is all the towels we can fit in there with the addition of 2 sets of sheets.  I mean for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house you would think they would have made a larger linen closet.

I say matching, but I guess I just mean coordinating colors. I am getting gray towels for our bathroom and navy for the upstairs. They are just solid colors that go with the colors in the bathroom. Our upstairs shower curtain is navy and white stripes. 
    Oh gotcha.  My mom is one to get those decorative towels that matches the shower curtain which matches the drinking glass, etc.  And they are towels that you just don't touch.  She puts out separate towels in our room for actual use.

• littlepep said:

I think we have 6 different colors and two towels in each color.  We also have two hand towels and two washcloths in each color.  Personally I wish I had more but our linen closet is so freaking small that that is all the towels we can fit in there with the addition of 2 sets of sheets.  I mean for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house you would think they would have made a larger linen closet.

Oh gotcha.  My mom is one to get those decorative towels that matches the shower curtain which matches the drinking glass, etc.  And they are towels that you just don't touch.  She puts out separate towels in our room for actual use.
    Oh gah yeah I don't have time for that nonsense. I want soft, absorbent towels. I mostly just want the colors to coordinate. Plus right now we have quite a few white towels, which I HATE because I feel like they always look dirty even after you clean them. That's why I wanted to go for a darker color this time around. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We have several old/cheap towels from both of our single days. My aunt got us a set of 2 nice towels with hand towels and washcloths that we didn't register for for the wedding. They only have my initials on them, so I keep the master bath, which only I use. I bought a set of nice towels during the Black Friday sales. Four towels with four washcloths and two hand towels. Those are our nice guest towels for the guest bath. H uses that bathroom, but he uses our old/cheap towels because he doesn't care.
  • We currently have about 8 of each type (bath, hand, wash) for our bathroom and about the same number for the guest. (The guest ones were mine from my apartment before FI and I moved in together.)

Additionally we registered for 8 more bath and washcloths and 4 more hand towels. Why? Well...1. We have really hard water and towels tend to not last as long and 2. You can never have enough towels in my opinion.

If nobody purchase them off the registry I will still buy them with my discount and put them away for use in the new home one day.
  • We have one set each of nice towels for H and I in the master plus a microfiber towel for my hair.  Guest baths I keep 2 hanging in each and we have additional sets in the linen closet that don't necessarily match the ones usually hanging up but do match each other.  I like these and will buy them again when I need new towels, they were the best towels I had when single and honestly the Macy's Hotel collection ones aren't that much nicer.

Of course, the only guests we have that stay long enough that they'd need fresh towels are FIL/MIL and MIL just washes their linens herself; no matter how many times I tell her not to worry about it their sheets and towels are already done by the time we take them to the airport.
  • annathy03 said:

We have one set each of nice towels for H and I in the master plus a microfiber towel for my hair.  Guest baths I keep 2 hanging in each and we have additional sets in the linen closet that don't necessarily match the ones usually hanging up but do match each other.  I like these and will buy them again when I need new towels, they were the best towels I had when single and honestly the Macy's Hotel collection ones aren't that much nicer.

Of course, the only guests we have that stay long enough that they'd need fresh towels are FIL/MIL and MIL just washes their linens herself; no matter how many times I tell her not to worry about it their sheets and towels are already done by the time we take them to the airport.
    Whaat? I'm intrigued. Tell me more about this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 8 of each, between 2 bathrooms. We don't have a guest room though, so guests have to put up with a pullout in the living room, and usually don't stay more than 2 nights. The only one to use up all the towels was my sister, and I still don't know how she went through 6 in 4 days.

• more then I can count.  We have bath sheets, beach/pool towels.   Dry the dog towels.  Smaller bat towels, regular sized bath towels.

The only decorative ones we have are beach towels from the boat I worked on.  Other than that they do not match really anything. Most are white/off-white in color.  The others are brown, blue and green.  All of them are solid so I could make them coordinate.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • bizzy592 said:

8 of each, between 2 bathrooms. We don't have a guest room though, so guests have to put up with a pullout in the living room, and usually don't stay more than 2 nights. The only one to use up all the towels was my sister, and I still don't know how she went through 6 in 4 days.

Good grief! I won't even use that many at a hotel. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • littlepep said:

annathy03 said:

We have one set each of nice towels for H and I in the master plus a microfiber towel for my hair.  Guest baths I keep 2 hanging in each and we have additional sets in the linen closet that don't necessarily match the ones usually hanging up but do match each other.  I like these and will buy them again when I need new towels, they were the best towels I had when single and honestly the Macy's Hotel collection ones aren't that much nicer.

Whaat? I'm intrigued. Tell me more about this.
    I think this is the brand I have (there are a few); you can find them just about anywhere, I know BB&B carries them and am pretty sure mine came from CVS as an impulse purchase.  They are way smaller than a bath towel and absorbs more water out of my hair.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards