Chit Chat

What's the best meal you've ever eaten??

And where did you eat it?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What's the best meal you've ever eaten??

• That is a tough one.  DH is a chef.  His friends are chefs.  I've eaten a lot of good meals around the world. I've been hooked up with some pretty awesome meals either at DH's places or our friends. Doesn't help I can't remember restaurant names.

Last year's welcome dinner for a conference thing we went to at the CrusinArt resort in Anguilla is pretty up there.  It was for a golf/food event.  A Master Chef from France who works for French Master Chef Paul Pouchuse along with a few other chefs from France and the states made the 6 course meal. It was amazing.   Actually the food all 4 nights were awesome. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • southernbelle0915, I would imagine that would have tasted amazing!!

lyndausvi, I am so jealous! I have a friend who was dating a chef and would always post their amazing meals!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Christmas dinner, Hunt Club at the Sorrento Hotel, Seattle.
    Boneless pheasant breast smothered in truffles and some kind of Godlike sauce. 
    Soooooooooooo fucking good it almost hurts to think  of it. My first Opus One wine, and it was like drinking liquid rubies.  My mouth felt incredibly rich.  I could have died happy. 

This is almost a cruel thread.  What now? I have to go look at my crappy fridge. Pretty sure I want nothing in there.  
  • We went to a duck restaurant in Beijing. Our translator had to call 2 days in advance to let them know we were coming becuase that is when they start roasting the ducks. 2 days in advance. 

I can't eat roast duck in the states anymore because it doesn't even come close to that amazingness. 

Also, I had roast lamb at a lodge in the Teton Mountains (Jackson Hole) that was insanely good. Pretty much anything that's cooked extremely well that I don't get to have very often is gonna steal my heart. 
  • Ouu I'll be stalking this thread!

In recent memory, I would say the $3.00 vegetable stir fry I ate in Bali (I don't know WHAT kind of flavors they put in it, but holy moly it was amazing).  

Or the first proper meal I ate after around 3 weeks of mono-takeout Chinese!

Also my friend and I splurged and went to one of Bobby Flay's restaurants in NYC (I believe it was his, or someone else from the Food Network haha). I spent almost $100 for 5 pieces of butternut squash ravioli and a glass of wine, but it was SO worth it!

Annnd of course anytime I eat mac and cheese as drunk food. (I'm classy).

Formerly martha1818

• Omg I almost forgot! My sister was friends with a chef at Japonais in Chicago and he got us a table (it was short notice and they were otherwise booked). We sat there and ate for hours and every single thing tasted so good I wanted to die. 

And every time I thought I was so full I couldn't stand to take another bite, they brought out something else amazing. And then three different desserts. Holy shit. That was what dreams are made of. 
  • In recent memory, I had the seared tuna at Hank's Seafood in Charleston and it was AMAZING. So good. 

@chibiyui WDW has the best gluten free food I've ever had in my life. It was the first time in years that I didn't feel like I was inconveniencing anyone with my Celiac disease. Chef's Table at Victoria and Albert's is a foodie dream of mine. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It is the toss up between the braised short ribs and mashed potatoes at Roy's or the roasted chicken and scalloped potatoes at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant in Vegas.

Both meals were very basic in regards to the ingredients but hot damn were they tasty.

Oh and a special shout out to the lobster saffron mashed potatoes at Aldo's in Baltimore.  If it wasn't such a nice place I would have licked that plate.  Apparently I have a think for potatoes.

• Ever EVER? Jeez, that's tough. I took FI to Melting Pot for his birthday last year and both of us were talking about it for weeks after. It might have just been the novelty though, because we went again for Valentine's Day this year and both of us were a little underwhelmed, but that might have been due to the prixe fix meal with limited options.

When I was in college my friends and I used to drive to Boston and eat at this ramen place at Lesley University. I had spicy miso ramen with ground pork and I still crave it every day. It's so hard to find real ramen in Florida. I don't think there's a single place in my town or any surrounding areas that serve it. It's not fine dining, but I could still eat it every day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• It is the toss up between the braised short ribs and mashed potatoes at Roy's or the roasted chicken and scalloped potatoes at the Eiffel Tower Restaurant in Vegas.

Both meals were very basic in regards to the ingredients but hot damn were they tasty.

Oh and a special shout out to the lobster saffron mashed potatoes at Aldo's in Baltimore.  If it wasn't such a nice place I would have licked that plate.  Apparently I have a think for potatoes.
    There's a restuarant in my hometown owned by a French chef (like she moved here from France). She specializes in American comfort foods, like pot roast, but adds a little bit of a European twist, or French flavors and whatnot. It's simple food but damn it's so good. That's some of my favorite stuff to eat! 
  • Ouu I'll be stalking this thread!

In recent memory, I would say the $3.00 vegetable stir fry I ate in Bali (I don't know WHAT kind of flavors they put in it, but holy moly it was amazing).  

Or the first proper meal I ate after around 3 weeks of mono-takeout Chinese!

Also my friend and I splurged and went to one of Bobby Flay's restaurants in NYC (I believe it was his, or someone else from the Food Network haha). I spent almost $100 for 5 pieces of butternut squash ravioli and a glass of wine, but it was SO worth it!

Annnd of course anytime I eat mac and cheese as drunk food. (I'm classy).

I had a lobster mac and cheese that was so good last night. In fact, even though I knew dessert was coming, I ate the whole thing. I ended up being too full for cheesecake. But I don't regret a thing.
  • Omg I almost forgot! My sister was friends with a chef at Japonais in Chicago and he got us a table (it was short notice and they were otherwise booked). We sat there and ate for hours and every single thing tasted so good I wanted to die. 

And every time I thought I was so full I couldn't stand to take another bite, they brought out something else amazing. And then three different desserts. Holy shit. That was what dreams are made of. 

I wish the old Japonias was still around. The new version is stuffy, expensive and not nearly as good.

I use to order "The Rock" for an app and dessert. (the rock is a app, where you are given pieces of uncooked steak and you cook it on this extremely hot lava rock. it is amazing)

The best meal I have ever had was at Chili Mac's in the lakeview neighborhood of Chicago. It was a hole in the wall but had the best Cincinnati chili for $6. I pre-ordered a gallon of chili, a few days before it closed then cried.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I can't even think of what my best meal EVER was, but I was thinking about the smoked salmon at the Capital Grille that I am obsessed with which made me think of this thread. It comes with toasted bread, crème fraiche, diced cucumbers and onions and my favorite, capers. MMMM I NEED IT!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I feel like I'm required to say The French Laundry. But to be honest, I don't think that's my best meal. I think my best meal would either be from Ink (which I've eaten at 3 times and I'm STILL amazed at how delicious it is) or my wedding meal.
  • Best fucking steak of my life at Club Lucky's in Chicago.  And I'm from Omaha, we know we our beef, so that's saying something!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can't decide, but one of the best meals was actually at my wedding. It was all locally sourced and amazing. Everything in Santa Barbara is just better, though.
  • KatWAG said:

Omg I almost forgot! My sister was friends with a chef at Japonais in Chicago and he got us a table (it was short notice and they were otherwise booked). We sat there and ate for hours and every single thing tasted so good I wanted to die. 

I wish the old Japonias was still around. The new version is stuffy, expensive and not nearly as good.

I use to order "The Rock" for an app and dessert. (the rock is a app, where you are given pieces of uncooked steak and you cook it on this extremely hot lava rock. it is amazing)

The best meal I have ever had was at Chili Mac's in the lakeview neighborhood of Chicago. It was a hole in the wall but had the best Cincinnati chili for $6. I pre-ordered a gallon of chili, a few days before it closed then cried.

Definitely some of the best meals of my life were eaten in tiny hole in the wall places in Chicago. I remember one was in some random neighborhood, no sign or anything, in a dark weird tiny basement. Best steamed crab legs EVER and they give you a giant mound of them. My mouth is watering right now... 
  • Two things come to mind: 

Black Cod Miso at Nobu in San Diego
    This pizza at some place in Boulder, CO that had goat cheese, arugula, figs and sausage with a pomegranate drizzle. I always try to recreate it, but it's never as good. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Catbird Seat in Nashville. This is a more affordable tasting menu and was amazing. I had this barley porridge with black truffles and I still think about it. I never would have imagined myself eating that let alone loving it.
  • littlepep said:

Two things come to mind: 

Black Cod Miso at Nobu in San Diego
    This pizza at some place in Boulder, CO that had goat cheese, arugula, figs and sausage with a pomegranate drizzle. I always try to recreate it, but it's never as good. 
    sounds like a pizza at The Med.

I do not know how DH does it, but he makes the best filets.     It really simple, but amazing.   The club members agree.    

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Fi and I were engaged in Paris and went to Joël Robuchon to celebrate- little did we know it was a tasting menu celebration of truffles and seafood. Complete with wine pairings... It was so delicious and rich I think we ate marmite on toast for a week afterwards just because we needed plain food! Amazingly memorable and the staff spoilt us!
  • I've been to Japonais, Club Lucky, and Chili Mac's. I'm amused. I've lived in Cinci and still hate Cincinnati style chili though. I've been to lots of high end restaurants - mainly in Chicago and NYC but also a few in Europe- but these are my favorites:

I have amazing memories of mussels cooked in white wine, fries, and more wine when I was 15 in Normany. I was there with my sister and some friends and it was magical. However, it could have just been that I was 15 and there was wine.

I remember eating tapas in a dive bar in Madrid when I was 22. Once again, lots of wine and everything was amazing. I used to hate sausage but I remember going back the next day for more of their chorizo.

Here in Chicago, I have 2 favorites. Mercat a la Planxa is ridiculous. Everything is wonderful and I always leave super-happy. When the weather allows, we've been known to stop at Mario's Italian Ice on the way home for a dessert-- and hopefully they have mango ice that day. It's a special occasion treat.

My other favorite is less exciting but no less wonderful: tamales from El Milagro in Little Village (Chicago). Buy them to go (chicken in salsa verde) then go next door for ensalata de nopales. They' sell the nopales (cactus) salad by the pound, wrapping it in wax paper then putting it in a plastic bag. Together, it makes for the most wonderful meal. DH loves it with horchata while I love it with jamaica, this sweet drink that's amazing. It's a cheap meal but we try not to do it too often because, well, lard.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hicoco said:

I can't even think of what my best meal EVER was, but I was thinking about the smoked salmon at the Capital Grille that I am obsessed with which made me think of this thread. It comes with toasted bread, crème fraiche, diced cucumbers and onions and my favorite, capers. MMMM I NEED IT!

This is actually a pretty standard brunch menu in my family. We tend to get bagels but serve it with a choice of creme fraiche or cream cheese, onions, capers, and smoked salmon. I haven't seen the diced cucumbers but we usually have sliced tomatoes. Plus, there's always a ton of fruit on the side, usually something like strawberries or melon.
  • I'm with @southernbelle0915!

My two favorite hobbies are backpacking and cooking/eating. I've had many wonderful gourmet restaurant meals in my life, but nothing beats PIZZA AND BEER after a week in the backcountry eating nothing but gorp, Cliff bars, and instant noodles!
  • wandajune6 you just reminded me of the tapas I had in Spain. Everywhere I ate when I was there was delicious. There was one particular place I went back to twice in a row because of this dish they had that was french fries with some kind of oil on them, chorizo, something else I can't remember, and an egg on top. I would definitely go back to Spain anytime just for the food. 

This thread is reminding me of way too many good meals and I'm getting so hungry!!! 
  • Stalking this thread hard. Best meal ever - stuffed baked clams & chicken francaise with scalloped potatoes from 200 Fifth in Brooklyn. I grew up eating those amazing stuffed clams and scalloped potatoes and then ~10 years ago they changed the menus and the chef and womp womp only glorious memories remain of those delicious clams and I haven't found another place that makes them taste remotely similar.

• Our 5th anniversary, at Thomas Keller's NY restaurant, Per Se.  It was too much food to list, but holy shit.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards