Wedding Reception Forum

Equestrian Chic Theme

2»

Re: Equestrian Chic Theme

• You could always go Llama Chic. 

If I had a Llama at our wedding, my son would go apeshit! He loves llamas!
  • That last one has a monocle! That just kills me.

Anniversary

• You could always go Llama Chic. 

That last llama is fucking fancy as hell and I LOVE IT.
  • You guys won't believe what popped up on my Pinterest board this morning.

Actually, you will. It's pinterest.

http://www.stylemepretty.com/destination-weddings/2015/05/01/elegant-equestrian-wedding-inspiration/

• It's Derby weekend. I guess someone told pinterest. 
  • tcnobletcnoble member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    levioosa said:

You guys won't believe what popped up on my Pinterest board this morning.

http://www.stylemepretty.com/destination-weddings/2015/05/01/elegant-equestrian-wedding-inspiration/

The only thing that really seemed equestrian to me was the horses themselves.

And the horrible use of muck boots as flower pots. Just.. no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:

You guys won't believe what popped up on my Pinterest board this morning.

"[...] always dreamed of having an equine friend on hand during my Big Day." DA FUQ?? Stop eating spicy foods before bed girlfriend, they're fucking with your dreams.

They ALMOST had the "chic" half of it down... except for the shit kicker boots. Oy vey.

• I think @atlastmrsg gave you some great ideas. The only question that I immediately thought of (apart from your FI's feelings on this topic) is do you have a reception venue yet? I ask because the area that we are getting married in has a lot of horse themed venues (think more Kentucky Derby though), but I have seen some very nice things done at those venues. There is a horse race track with a nice restaurant overlooking the track, a harness track, and a polo club. It is still equestrian without overdoing the horse things. Another recent addition was a race horse auctioning company with a pretty patio/pavilion area that is popular lately for weddings: 

• Whoa.... lots of hostility here.

As a fellow equestrian, @Knottie47504212, I love your theme. Of course make sure your fiance is on board with it, but if he is...

I think you should steer clear from the very "rustic" look as that has been done to death. If I were you, I'd want to incorporate subtle equestrian symbols (such as a silhouette of a horse head, or a horse shoe), colors like hunter green and ivory, and use dark stained wood and leather where possible - such as bundling your invitations together with thin leather strings. There are absolutely beautiful and subtle ways to incorporate your passion for riding into your wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

As a fellow equestrian, @Knottie47504212, I love your theme. Of course make sure your fiance is on board with it, but if he is...

I think you should steer clear from the very "rustic" look as that has been done to death. If I were you, I'd want to incorporate subtle equestrian symbols (such as a silhouette of a horse head, or a horse shoe), colors like hunter green and ivory, and use dark stained wood and leather where possible - such as bundling your invitations together with thin leather strings. There are absolutely beautiful and subtle ways to incorporate your passion for riding into your wedding day.
    Hostile? It's hostile to point out that "equestrian chic" makes zero sense to most people? This is entirely a matter of taste, and so people gave opinions and suggestions accordingly. And joked about other things that don't make sense to them.

Hostile? It's hostile to point out that "equestrian chic" makes zero sense to most people? This is entirely a matter of taste, and so people gave opinions and suggestions accordingly. And joked about other things that don't make sense to them.
    Yeah, I'm a fellow equestrian and Equestrian Chic made zero fucking sense to me.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Like a lot of people here, I get concerned that any wedding with a "theme" is going to look very tacky and "kid's birthday party" very quickly.

And then you couple that concern with the fact that "equestrian chic" is no more defined than, say "rustic elegance" or "elegant cowboy" or "garden party formal" or any other random assortment of words, it makes this very hard to imagine.
  • MandyMost said:

Like a lot of people here, I get concerned that any wedding with a "theme" is going to look very tacky and "kid's birthday party" very quickly.

And then you couple that concern with the fact that "equestrian chic" is no more defined than, say "rustic elegance" or "elegant cowboy" or "garden party formal" or any other random assortment of words, it makes this very hard to imagine.
    You have just given me ideas for my son's next B-day party!
  • Kahlyla said:

For me, it's the adding of "chic" to everything that has become laughable. I wouldn't laugh at the idea of an "equestrian"-themed wedding. I wouldn't mock a "rustic" wedding. To me, it seems like people just throw chic on the end in a desperate attempt to say "Totes not ugly, though! It may be rustic but it won't be gross, I swear!"

So much this. I like you.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited May 2015
    Given that the OP has not returned, she was probably put off by the incredibly rude responses mocking what she thought was a perfectly acceptable theme for her wedding day. You should be ashamed of yourselves, as I am sure that that not every one of your guests appreciated every detail of your wedding the way you did. I sure hope they had enough tact not to openly mock you for it.

To the OP, there are several ways to incorporate your love of horses into your wedding. It sounds like you ride english. Have you found a venue yet? If not, are there any horse farms in your area that are nice barns who host large, recognized shows who you might contact?

Here is an example of one where I used to ride:
    Look through the photos, you’ll see some photos of the VIP tents for the jumper events that might work for a wedding.

I think a Kentucky Derby themed reception with mint juleps and seersucker also sounds nice. 

Everyone here is right about rustic, it’s been so overdone recently. That doesn’t mean you can’t choose rustic as your theme though. 

I’d caution you about *too much* integration of horses, especially if your fiancé is not a rider himself. Best of luck with your planning!
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    AddieCake said:

Kahlyla said:

For me, it's the adding of "chic" to everything that has become laughable. I wouldn't laugh at the idea of an "equestrian"-themed wedding. I wouldn't mock a "rustic" wedding. To me, it seems like people just throw chic on the end in a desperate attempt to say "Totes not ugly, though! It may be rustic but it won't be gross, I swear!"

So much this. I like you.

I agree too.  But for me, it's not only that adding of "chic" to everything so much that everything has to have a "theme."  People get married and have all kinds of ceremonies and receptions.  All that's fine, provided everything is in accordance with etiquette and takes everyone's needs into account, including the couple, their families, and their other guests.

What's puzzling me is why weddings need "themes" at all.  If you want to marry at home and have a cookout in your backyard, great.  If you want to marry at your church and follow it up with a big blast at a ballroom with flowers, crystal, china, orchestra, tuxes, evening gowns, also great.  If you want to get married on a hillside overlooking a waterfall in a national park or in the barn on your horse farm or at a destination wedding in the tropics, again, great. But why do you need to make your music, decorations, menus, etc. follow a "theme" on top of getting married?

• edited June 2015
  • Given that the OP has not returned, she was probably put off by the incredibly rude responses mocking what she thought was a perfectly acceptable theme for her wedding day. You should be ashamed of yourselves, as I am sure that that not every one of your guests appreciated every detail of your wedding the way you did. I sure hope they had enough tact not to openly mock you for it.

To the OP, there are several ways to incorporate your love of horses into your wedding. It sounds like you ride english. Have you found a venue yet? If not, are there any horse farms in your area that are nice barns who host large, recognized shows who you might contact?

Here is an example of one where I used to ride:
    Look through the photos, you’ll see some photos of the VIP tents for the jumper events that might work for a wedding.

I think a Kentucky Derby themed reception with mint juleps and seersucker also sounds nice. 

Everyone here is right about rustic, it’s been so overdone recently. That doesn’t mean you can’t choose rustic as your theme though. 

I’d caution you about *too much* integration of horses, especially if your fiancé is not a rider himself. Best of luck with your planning!
    I am not ashamed a bit. I just laughed really hard all over again. Because:

I refuse to believe that anybody could fail to see the humor in the phrase "Equestrian Chic." Nope. Because it's funny. You seriously can't sit there and look at that phrase, and tell me it isn't funny. 
    It's just a very, very, silly phrase.
    And there is lots of equally silly "chic-" shabby chic and vintage chic and rustic chic and retro chic and country chic and sideshow chic and gamer chic and literary chic and urban industrial chic and there's probably a sustainable green and positive energy chic. They probably have a big horrible kombucha punch at that one. 
    And then a horse came into it, and equestrian chic.

The point is, it was just a damned hilarious turn of phrase, that means exactly nothing, and that was laughed about. Good, sensible suggestions are in there, as well. A couple of cautionary notes about getting too into theme, a few humorous examples of Not This, but I saw no malicious tone, no actual unkindness to the OP. 

And I get to do this twice, now. I can't even describe how much I love this horse. Just look at that. He feels no shame, either.

God I love this HORSE! I want a onesie for MY HORSE!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards