Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

champagne

What champagne taste the best? i don't drink so i wouldnt know.

Re: champagne

• edited June 2015
  • That depends on if you like sweet or dry. It's generally safe to hit right in the middle of those.

If you don't drink it, why the question? Are you buying it or your venue asking for a selection or something? Remember that champagne is totally unnecessary if you don't drink it. Few people do.

I love me some champagne, but if I went to a wedding without it I would just toast with whatever I had.

I don't drink at all but fiance side and some of my side do drink and we have to tell the caterer something.
  • edited June 2015
  • Do you have to have champagne?  Is it going to be available all night or are you just using it to toast with?  If it is just for the toasts then forgo it.  People are either champagne drinkers or they aren't so a lot of champagne (aka your money) will just go down the drain.  People can toast with whatever they want.

• Also remember that nicer prosecco or cava> cheap champagne.

Don't get champagne just to have it. Getting a cheap brand of champagne is like getting a cheap brand of whiskey. Yes, you technically have it but if it isn't nice no one will drink it. 

Look at who won any recent international competitions. Proseccos and Cavas will inevitably be cheaper than Champagne. Or look at an American domestic sparking wine. Do a little research and see who is getting good reviews on wine rating sites.
  • BlueBirdMBBlueBirdMB member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

Also remember that nicer prosecco or cava> cheap champagne.

Don't get champagne just to have it. Getting a cheap brand of champagne is like getting a cheap brand of whiskey. Yes, you technically have it but if it isn't nice no one will drink it. 

Look at who won any recent international competitions. Proseccos and Cavas will inevitably be cheaper than Champagne. Or look at an American domestic sparking wine. Do a little research and see who is getting good reviews on wine rating sites.
    100% this.  Prosecco is made in a completely manner than the traditional Champagne method though.  If you want something that's good, cheaper, but tastes more like Champagne, try American Chandon.  I think it's a great bargain.  We had Prosecco though.  It was a million times better than the cheap house champagnes they typically serve at wedding.
  • We chose Domaine Chandon Etoile Rose (not sure how to do the accent mark thing) it was a huge hit and everyone loved it! We offered it passed at cocktail hour and as a bar option.

http://www.chandon.com/etoile-wines/etoile/etoile-rose-wine.html

We also gave mini domaine chandon brut bottles as gifts!
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    Need a budget number. I have cavas I love under $10/btl and champagnes I love over $200/btl.
  • First thing's first, get a list from the venue of what they serve. I'd get a list of everything sparkling - champagne, prosecco, etc. That should narrow the list from literally thousands of options to 7 or 8. 

Then, eliminate the ones that don't fit your budget. You might be left with 5 or 6.

Then, buy a couple bottles of each and have a tasting party with a few friends who are invited to the wedding. Majority rules.

This way, you'll get to have a party AND make your selection. Win-win.
    *********************************************************************************

• First thing's first, get a list from the venue of what they serve. I'd get a list of everything sparkling - champagne, prosecco, etc. That should narrow the list from literally thousands of options to 7 or 8. 

Then, eliminate the ones that don't fit your budget. You might be left with 5 or 6.

Then, buy a couple bottles of each and have a tasting party with a few friends who are invited to the wedding. Majority rules.

This way, you'll get to have a party AND make your selection. Win-win.
    Great idea thanks!
  • Martini Prosecco is awesome!

It's sweet, but I haven't met anyone who didn't like it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards