Chit Chat

Baby names

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana of Cambridge!  Nice!  I'm indulging in wishful thinking today.  What are your favorite baby names?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Baby names

• I'm not super obsessed with any baby names (I still have yet to get baby fever), but I tend to like longer classic names that have common shortenings: like Alexander or Michael for boys, or Michelle for girls.

if we have a boy, I like Alexander, since DH's initials are AJA and so will our son's!

• My current like is Joanie, even though I'm never having kids.  And I only like girl names, so if we ever get accidentally KU'd, it'd better be a girl.  ;)

• Our son is Emmett, but if I had a daughter it's a toss up between Eloïse and piper.
  • I have a boy named Cameron James. In a few years I'd like to try for #2 and I'd hope for a girl. My fave girls names are Sophie, Kennedy & Celia. I like Matthew if we were to have another boy but my SO hates it. It's so hard to agree on names!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Evelynn, Lyla
    Elijah, Jacob, Jeremy, Jack
  • Leona, Ariadne, Adeline, Sybil
    And
    Lyle, Alistair, Tobias, Lucian

Anniversary
  • For a boy either James Anthony or Anthony James (James for my Dad and Anthony is DH's and FIL's middle name).

For a girl I kind of like Josephine (for a dear, dear family friend) but maybe for a middle name.  I also would like to use Diane as a middle name (my Mom's middle name).  I'm only using one middle name so one has to go.  lol

I'm drawn to the trendy names but I wouldn't use them.  I want a name that is common enough the kid(s) won't get made fun of but unusual/unpopular enough that they won't have 5 other kids in the class with the same name.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I've always liked Ryan for a girl and Jackson/Jack for a boy
  • I should really be more in tune with this since we'll have to decide on something soon.... I just don't know so I'm reading all these boy names with keen interest.

For a girl, I was going to push for Anika.
    *********************************************************************************

• I LOVE her name! 

Fi and I actually just talked this weekend about possible future children names. He is obsessed with Spiderman - so he wanted Peter. I said NO. BUT - Parker would be cute. . . . so we landed on Parker Andrew (Fi's middle name is Andrew) for a boy, and I've always loved the name Emma, and Fi is really close to his Aunt Rosalie - so for a girl it would be Emma Rose (just easier to yell than Emma Rosalie). 

We will see what actually happens when we try to have bay-bays. 
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• I love the new royal's name, very classic and obviously meaningful.

My favorites are: Aria, Harper, Claire, and Juliette for a girl. Parker for a boy.

• I love the new royal's name, very classic and obviously meaningful.

My favorites are: Aria, Harper, Claire, and Juliette for a girl. Parker for a boy.
    Twinsies! 

• edited May 2015

I should really be more in tune with this since we'll have to decide on something soon.... I just don't know so I'm reading all these boy names with keen interest.

For a girl, I was going to push for Anika.

Go play on Nameberry.com. It is seriously the bestest name website. Pick a gender, or "neutral", or look up lists of "If you like..." And "Cool names" and "rocker names" and pretty much any theme list you can think of, you can find it there. And it shows a ticker of searched names, and similar names if you click on a name.

Seriously. I've tried a LOT of baby name sites. Nameberry is the most comprehensive of them. Super worth it. Plus there's naming forums and all SORTS of tools and things.

ETA YAY I GOT TO FIX MY TYPO!
  • I could talk about names for HOURS.

For a long time, I loooooooved Coraline (like the Neil Gaiman book). Coraline and William would be a perfect sibset.

Then I liked Rosemary Adelaide, Alys Rebecca, and Grayton William for a sibset. Rosemary, Alys and Grayton are all beaches on 30A and they're beautiful but it's a subtle thing that a lot of people probably wouldn't catch.

And then there's Callie. And Elena. And Cora and Luke and Matthew and Tobias and Silas and Maribelle and Ryan (Fi's name!) and Maura and Jonas and Isaac and Carson and Riley and Della and Nora and Ophelia and Sebastian and Charlotte and Kieran and Sean and Stella and James and Jonathan and Liam and Annette and Eleanor and Seth and Lillian and Catherine and .... In another thread I said I couldn't make enough babies to use up all the names I love. I really truly meant it.

Me too!
  • Love the royal baby's name!  I've always loved Charlotte- it's gotten SO popular in recent years and I'm sure this is only going to increase its profile, but it's just a beautiful classic name on its own merit.

Related question: I think most people prefer picking names for their children that aren't super popular, so do any of you have names you love but you've been disappointed to see get popular lately?  

For a long time, I loooooooved Coraline (like the Neil Gaiman book). Coraline and William would be a perfect sibset.

Then I liked Rosemary Adelaide, Alys Rebecca, and Grayton William for a sibset. Rosemary, Alys and Grayton are all beaches on 30A and they're beautiful but it's a subtle thing that a lot of people probably wouldn't catch.

And then there's Callie. And Elena. And Cora and Luke and Matthew and Tobias and Silas and Maribelle and Ryan (Fi's name!) and Maura and Jonas and Isaac and Carson and Riley and Della and Nora and Ophelia and Sebastian and Charlotte and Kieran and Sean and Stella and James and Jonathan and Liam and Annette and Eleanor and Seth and Lillian and Catherine and .... In another thread I said I couldn't make enough babies to use up all the names I love. I really truly meant it.

Me too!
    It's great, isn't it? It's got that classic feel to it, but it's also just a touch off standard, just enough to be different and interesting but not enough to get her teased for having a "weird" name.

Me too!
    It's great, isn't it? It's got that classic feel to it, but it's also just a touch off standard, just enough to be different and interesting but not enough to get her teased for having a "weird" name.
    I heard him on NPR. He said he was going for 'Caroline', but it was a typo and he felt like it fit her. How cool!
  • I like the name, but part of me was rooting for Alice.

I used to be obsessed with potential baby names when I was younger.  Now, I'm just grateful that any potential kid would give me 9 months of thinking time because I have no clue what I would name a kid.  My requirements are pretty much classic, no special spellings, and no girl names that were trendy when I was a kid (so no Jessica, Jennifer, Stephanie, Nicole, or Tiffany). 

Back in the day, I was OBSESSED with special snowflake unique spellings.  To an embarrassing degree.  Now I come across them in my job and all I can think is "Gee, why didn't you just name them 'Beat Me Up at Recess' and just save everyone some time?"

Me too!
    I heard him on NPR. He said he was going for 'Caroline', but it was a typo and he felt like it fit her. How cool!
    I LOVE HIM. I didn't know that but it IS perfect for her. How fantastic!
  • FI and I have already settled on Hollie Anne (with an E!) for a girl.  Anne is my middle name (after Anne of Green Gables) and it sounds pretty cute, but is still grown up enough for when hypothetical girl baby is a grown up.  I also liked the name Genevieve, my dad's mother's name, but it's a bit of a mouthful.  

For a boy, FI is SET on the name Boone.  I have no idea why, I think it's awful.  I like the name Braden.  Both these names are inspired by hockey players LOL  We've got some work to do if we end up with a boy.  

We're only having one child (unless it's twins or something) so let's hope for a girl!
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'm not able to have kids.  I've always been partial to Michael and Michaela.

I'm not sure why.  I have a bunch of cousins named Michael so it would be confusing, but I've always liked those name.

I have an unusual spelling of a name and have found it annoying to always have to spell it.  If I was to have a child I would try and pick a standard spelling. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Well, daughter hates my favorite name, Alice.  She says it doesn't go with their last name, so that is that..

I am totally fantasizing.  She isn't pregnant.  Son doesn't have a potential mate material girl friend, though he's been looking.  Sigh!  Oh, well.  Just looking at pictures of the new royal baby makes me drool.

This is fun, reading all your name ideas!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Love the royal baby's name!  I've always loved Charlotte- it's gotten SO popular in recent years and I'm sure this is only going to increase its profile, but it's just a beautiful classic name on its own merit.

Related question: I think most people prefer picking names for their children that aren't super popular, so do any of you have names you love but you've been disappointed to see get popular lately?  
    I don't pay attention to popularity really. Not a lot of names I like do go the route of the popular, because I generally like names that are either classic or unusual but not youneek. The only one that's really made me sad was when Aiden got big. I loved it, but it exploded and then spawned a billion offshoots and now it's excessive.

Matthew, Jacob, John/Jonathan, William for boys and Elizabeth, Catherine, Charlotte, Caroline, the many forms of Mary for girls - those are all super popular and they have been pretty consistently. Because, in part, of their "classic" sound. Names that aren't classics tend to get dated. Ryan and Joshua are, to me, a little dated. Which - Jennifer and Kelsey are too, because they all had a huge burst of popularity in the eighties / early nineties. And Aiden will be very 2000s in twenty years, as will Kennedy. That's why the classics stay popular year after year, decade after decade - they're classics, they don't have that dated vibe. (No offense meant to anyone carrying those names; they just are associated with a spike in use in a certain decade, or even year.)

I generally don't pay a lot of attention to popularity though, because I tend to lean towards classics for future real people. I take my more outlandish names and use them for the many characters' voices in my head. :)
  • Our son is Keaton Porter. For some reason I am blanking on the other name options we had picked out for him! We struggled to find boy names we both liked.

Another fan of Coraline (or Cora for short), but I don't think FI likes it. I also like Clara, Adeline, and Delaney.
  • CMGragain said:

Well, daughter hates my favorite name, Alice.  She says it doesn't go with their last name, so that is that..

I am totally fantasizing.  She isn't pregnant.  Son doesn't have a potential mate material girl friend, though he's been looking.  Sigh!  Oh, well.  Just looking at pictures of the new royal baby makes me drool.

This is fun, reading all your name ideas!

My brother likes very traditional names. Alice and Lucy are two of his favorites. I think my mom will be much more pleased with his picks than mine :)

For a few reasons, FI and I have more or less decided that our first daughter (if we have one) is Maeve. I first heard it because I have the most beautiful, talented, adorable five-year-old girl in my company named Maeve.

I casually mentioned my love of her name to her father, and he said, "Yeah, she's got a couple little Maeves in her class."

WHAT?! I had never heard it before meeting her. :( Now I see it everywhere. The other day there was a commercial for an upcoming episode of some television show, and I heard it again.

We're sticking with it though. I think the biggest reason we love it is because it's a derivative of Maab, and FI and I met when he directed me in "Romeo & Juliet."
  • Evelyn, Sophia, Olivia, Peyton, or Charlotte for a girl. ( kind of mad the royals went with that name)

Jackson, Nicholas, Avery, Carter, Philip,, or Oliver for boys

Mr. Gherkins for a pet Corgi

I think the bookies had Charlotte as their front runner, at least for the last little while. It is kind of sad, because I'm sure it'll get a boost from their having used it, but it deserves a boost. It's a beautiful name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards