Chit Chat
Options

Cinco de Mayo!

Anyone have any fun plans tonight? A group of my girlfriends and I are trying a new Mexican restaurant in a little downtown area near us. I was glad they took a reservation because the last few years we've gone out and had super long waits.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cinco de Mayo!

• Options
    It's an excuse to eat nachos and drink margaritas...who am I kidding? I don't need an excuse.
  • Options
    I would love to be able to say that I will be absolutely gorging on delicious, fried, cheesy Mexican food and a dozen frozen margaritas (which would be the usual plan), but FI and I are trying to slim down for our engagement photos, sooo I'll making honey-taquila grilled fish tacos with coconut quinoa salad

… and some frozen margaritas, probz.
  • Options
    I have my trainer tonight, and then spin. I'm thinking about making turkey tacos tonight. That's about it. 
  • Options
    My company is having a Salsa and Guacamole cook off! So I will probably go and judge, because SOMEONE has to. But other than that, just barre tonight. FI and I had tacos on Sunday, I guess we couldn't wait until today.
  • Options
    Pretty sure I still have a short from college that says "Cinco de Drink-o", hahahaha.

No plans for me, though. I'll probably make some pork chips and clean my house. 
  • Options
    I've class tonight and dh will be out of town. He makes the best tacos and black beans ever. Booo. No party El drinko for me
  • Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We are heading to an upscale Mexican/Tequila Bar! 

Me encanta tequila. 
  • Options
    Turkey Taco Tuesday in our house tonight. But we do that every Tues. :(
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Taco Salad and margaritas at the ILs!

• Options
    Agh I wish. No plans except packing for my work trip next week and doing laundry...Maybe I'll down some Coronas while doing that but I don't have anything to make margaritas!! Damn. Damn. Damn.
  • Options
    Nope, no special plans. I really don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo - maybe this is weird, but I feel like it's a Mexican holiday that Americans with no Latinx heritage have co-opted as an excuse to drink. I kind of feel the same way about St. Patrick's Day too, although I do have a little bit of an Irish heritage so not as strongly. I try not to be weird about it, because people are free to celebrate whatever thing they want however they want and it's not my business, but it's a thing with me, so I don't do it.

I do want tacos now thanks to all you ladies though. Thanks for that.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Ugh I wish I had plans but I'm all taco-ed out. Had a Taco Bar for my sons bday party on Saturday and had leftovers Sunday & yesterday. But I will enjoy a few coronas in the spirit of the holiday.

• Options
    I usually make fajitas for FI and I, but we may have to postpone since FI and I both have squicky stomachs. He stayed home from work today and I'm feeling not 100% myself. But I looove fajitas so I'm hoping he'll feel better by then.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Tonight is our weekly girls night so I'm making fajitas, guac and fresh margaritas. I am super pumped. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Nope, no special plans. I really don't celebrate Cinco de Mayo - maybe this is weird, but I feel like it's a Mexican holiday that Americans with no Latinx heritage have co-opted as an excuse to drink. I kind of feel the same way about St. Patrick's Day too, although I do have a little bit of an Irish heritage so not as strongly. I try not to be weird about it, because people are free to celebrate whatever thing they want however they want and it's not my business, but it's a thing with me, so I don't do it.

DH says the same thing! He calls it a "white people holiday" and tells me that Mexicans never celebrate it. Which seems to be true based on his family and friends though I miss using it as an excuse for margaritas and nachos with my friends.

That said, tonight is going to be taco night because it was on the dinner plan before I realized it was Cinco de Mayo. Arranchera and knob onions on the grill (if the weather holds, otherwise grill pan), cilantro, guacamole, and homemade salsa. If I get a chance, I'll need to stop off for tortilla chips now too. Hungry now.
  • Options
    We usually do Taco Tuesdays in the house but we're having a couple friends over too this time :)

imageimage

• Options
    Were taking our parents out to a farm to table restaurant for Mothers day.

So, kind of an anti-cinco-de-mayo. The place is BYOB, so no margaritas.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Margarita Monday was yesterday for DH and I. Although I don't see why we can't have a repeat!

• Options
    afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I had this plan of fajitas and margaritas...but I never made it to the store. So looks like we are going the exact opposite direction and having bacon wrapped meatloaf and beer. 
  • Options
    I'll drink a ton of tequila tonight instead of a ton of whiskey.
  • Options
    falsarafalsara member
    I have Taco Rice planned, but not because it's Cinco de Mayo.  It was on the menu planner before I realized that today was a day for Tacos.  We're eating and then watching a movie probably.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I am trapped in a mexican restaurant and I am drunk on $2 margaritas. It is not 5pm here yet.
  • Options

I'm busy watching our Provincial election and having a party over the results.  We've just outed the right wing party who was in charge for the last 44 years and brought in a left wing party.  The current Premier just resigned too.  I'm so happy at the moment!!

• Options
    hellohkbhellohkb mod
    edited May 2015

This so much. I'm Latina and I always roll my eyes at the college kids in my town dressing up in offensive costumes getting drunk. Several Latinx friends took to facebook to complain which of course started disagreements. I don't care if people want to go out, just leave your offensive costumes at home. And damn quit it with the broken Spanish in a poor attempt to be funny or clever (Not anyone in this thread, the obnoxious people in my college town). I also have Irish heritage and roll my eyes when St Paddy's Day rolls around, so I'm just a grump in general over "drinking holidays" associated with an ethnicity.

As for my plans today, I went to the post office and Costco then went home and ate potstickers and watched TWD. Now I'm knotting and reading.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

I'm busy watching our Provincial election and having a party over the results.  We've just outed the right wing party who was in charge for the last 44 years and brought in a left wing party.  The current Premier just resigned too.  I'm so happy at the moment!!
    That was awesome! I'm in Ontario and am very happy about the results!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards