Wedding 911

What to entertain with after dinner and before first dance?!

I hope any of you have a good idea. 

After the dinner we are going to have our first dance. But the waitors need to remove the table and make a dance floor. So how to entertain people?

I have seen people sending Chinese paper lamps up in the sky, but are there other ideas? 

Re: What to entertain with after dinner and before first dance?!

• The cake will be served at the reception, that is very typical in Denmark :)

It will be 4 tables which will be moved, and there is a lounge area where people who do not like the direct noise can sit, and of course a lot of tables and chairs will be allocated around the dance floor and bar. 

Unfortunately this is the only option we have, that fits our requirement. Or else we will need to wait a year for the weeding. 
  • larrygaga said:

Cake

After the dinner we are going to have our first dance. But the waitors need to remove the table and make a dance floor. So how to entertain people?

I have seen people sending Chinese paper lamps up in the sky, but are there other ideas? 
    Wait, you're removing tables to make room for the dance floor? That's not okay - where are the guests going to sit after dinner if they want to sit? Sounds like you need a bigger venue to accommodate a dance floor without having to take people's seats away.
    The cake will be served at the reception, that is very typical in Denmark :)

It will be 4 tables which will be moved, and there is a lounge area where people who do not like the direct noise can sit, and of course a lot of tables and chairs will be allocated around the dance floor and bar. 

Unfortunately this is the only option we have, that fits our requirement. Or else we will need to wait a year for the weeding. 
  • larrygaga said:

Cake

Wait, you're removing tables to make room for the dance floor? That's not okay - where are the guests going to sit after dinner if they want to sit? Sounds like you need a bigger venue to accommodate a dance floor without having to take people's seats away.
    The cake will be served at the reception, that is very typical in Denmark :)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but if it is what I think it is...

You need to have enough seats for all your guests, at all times. Period, end of story. If that is not possible with this venue, you need either to wait that year, or cut your guest list so that everyone fits with chairs and a dance floor.

Sorry, I'll try agian :) 

The venue is one big place, and after the dinner 4 tables will be removed (which equals to all the elders who have already confirmed that they will leave right after first dance). But there will be more chairs for everyone, and a lounge area in addition. I hope this makes sense. The venue is for 130 people and we will be 80. I have arranged the tables so they fill the whole room.  Perhaps that is not necessary? I just felt that the room will feel empty if I arranged the tables in one area. That is why I will need enternainment when we remove the tables. 
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    If you only have 80 guests, you don't need to arrange the tables for 130 guests to fill the whole room. Is that what you're saying you've done? Just have the number of tables necessary for the 80 guests. Then you don't need to make people move so you can remove tables (if, as it seems from your last post, you didn't even need those tables to begin with). 
  • I would definitely arrange the tables to leave space for a dance floor. Personally, I'd be really annoyed if my table was eliminated, I had to move all my stuff, etc. You have plenty of space, so this shouldn't be an issue. It will be clear that it's a dance floor.

If you were hosting a child's birthday party, I'd tell you to have entertainment, but these are adults. They'll be fine to sit and talk for 15 minutes while the waiters clear the tables.

Also, those lanterns are very environmentally unfriendly. It's literally paper garbage that you're releasing into the sky. They pose a fire risk, a risk to wild life and they're just trash.
    *********************************************************************************

• If you only have 80 guests, you don't need to arrange the tables for 130 guests to fill the whole room. Is that what you're saying you've done? Just have the number of tables necessary for the 80 guests. Then you don't need to make people move so you can remove tables (if, as it seems from your last post, you didn't even need those tables to begin with). 

I would definitely arrange the tables to leave space for a dance floor. Personally, I'd be really annoyed if my table was eliminated, I had to move all my stuff, etc. You have plenty of space, so this shouldn't be an issue. It will be clear that it's a dance floor.

If you were hosting a child's birthday party, I'd tell you to have entertainment, but these are adults. They'll be fine to sit and talk for 15 minutes while the waiters clear the tables.

Also, those lanterns are very environmentally unfriendly. It's literally paper garbage that you're releasing into the sky. They pose a fire risk, a risk to wild life and they're just trash.

* I totally agree with the lanterns. I hate them myselvf. but I couldn't find an alternative. 

Good then I'll leave space for a dancefloor. Now that I'm reading it, the question sounds stupid, but I guess in all the planning, even the smallest things can be difficult :D
  • A big THANK YOU!! :)
  • A big THANK YOU!! :)

Man I'm glad you listened.  Thanks for not getting defensive!  

And, I know you decided to change the layout, but for lurkers, don't assume that the "elderly" are going to leave right after.  It's pretty insulting, and even if they normally don't stay up late, you never know how they will feel on the day of.  It would be pretty hurtful to them if they decided to stay because they were having a great time, only to be upended from their seats because they were "old and going home anyways."  

• ^You are absoluty right :) One newer knows! 

Well, I'm just happy that you guys are thinking "out of the box" and I'm really thankfull! :) I'll def. ask you again when I'm having these small "crisis" again. Fast and honest replies, I really like that :) 
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I would also mention that some areas don't allow those paper lanterns for exactly the reasons stated above. I know you were looking for alternatives and don't seem hell bent on having the lanterns, but its good information to know. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards