Not Engaged Yet

Graduation Gift Ideas

BF's sister is graduating with her nursing degree on Friday and we are so incredibly proud of her! I want to get her a graduation gift, especially since we couldn't make the trip out to California to g to her graduation. But I'm struggling to come up with some good ideas. Any suggestions?

Re: Graduation Gift Ideas

• We put some money in FSIL's card and called it a day.
  • Eh...I don't generally like giving money as a gift. It feels so impersonal. I suppose if I can't think of anything else I can do that though.

• I'm going over the top for my little sister getting her degree, but she's basically my best friend. I'm starting with a Pampered Chef deep covered baker that she's always wanted (so maybe something nice and/or ceramic for her kitchen?), and then filling it with random stuff for her to use during her lovely new post-college life. So I've got a travel mug that's the serving size of a Keurig, a new broadway CD, a cool little lunch organizer I found at World Market, a frame that I'll put a picture of our family in for her new desk, an apron, and a bottle of champagne.

Also related, I've gotten my nurse friend multiple clothing-related items over the years. Star wars scrubs, and a cute stethoscope cover for when she started working with infants.

...................... Not sure if any of this helps.

• @AlPacina - I love World Market and I know she does too so maybe I'll swing by there this weekend and see if I can find something for her! I don't know why I didn't think of going there before.

I was thinking of getting her scrubs but I also know she's really picky so if I go that route I might get her a gift card to the store she buys them from. 

• scrubs would be great, especially getting them embroidered with her name and her new degree (RN, NP, etc). i did that for my sister when she graduated med school. also maybe a spa day? shes probably been stressed with school and might enjoy some pampering :)
  • jenjen047 said:

scrubs would be great, especially getting them embroidered with her name and her new degree (RN, NP, etc). i did that for my sister when she graduated med school. also maybe a spa day? shes probably been stressed with school and might enjoy some pampering :)

Oh! This is a good idea! She is a constant ball of stress so giving her something to help her relax would be good.

Can nurses just wear whatever scrubs they want? I don't want to give her ones she couldn't wear at her job.

• @CLoGreenEyes - I was hoping you would comment! I'll look into the socks!

• Actually, anything to take care of her feet in the future is good. Pedicure/massage gift card. One of those little balls to roll around with your foot and stretch out the muscles. Feet are important.
  • What is your budget? I can think of other stuff tonight if work isn't bananas.
  • I vote pedicure to help her unwind and @clogreeneyes sock idea!  Also, perhaps a giftcard to easy spirit or Dr.Scholls so she can get super comfortable work shoes. 
  • Thanks ladies! I love these suggestions, I definitely feel like I have more direction now :)

@CLoGreenEyes - My budget is probably around $50 maybe a little higher.

• jenjen047 said:

scrubs would be great, especially getting them embroidered with her name and her new degree (RN, NP, etc). i did that for my sister when she graduated med school. also maybe a spa day? shes probably been stressed with school and might enjoy some pampering :)

Oh! This is a good idea! She is a constant ball of stress so giving her something to help her relax would be good.

Can nurses just wear whatever scrubs they want? I don't want to give her ones she couldn't wear at her job.

I have a lot of family that works as nurses at the Cleveland Clinic.  They are not allowed white scrubs and depending on what floor you work it can determine what color scrubs they wear.

I know when my SIL graduated, I got her a nice thermal lunch bag and filled it with various things (non-lunch related).  I knew she'd be working long odd shifts and I also knew the local hospitals do not sell regular soda or chocolate (or sweets or chips or anything deemed unhealthy) so I figured she could pack her own goodies.

Anniversary
  • Love the sock idea!

If you want to add a few things maybe this would help;
    I dunno if she has one but a lanyard she can put her ID badge on. I have friends who are medical social workers and they have a plethora of break away lanyards at their disposal.

Maybe a collection of fancy hand sanitizer from bath and body works (and lotion so that her hands don't get too dried out).

Either way it's super sweet that you're getting her a gift!
  • @bride2b71614, so true with the hands! OMG, they get to be such a mess.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards