Chit Chat
Options

What's your favorite crafty hobby?

Re: What's your favorite crafty hobby?

• Options

MagicInk said:

I've actually had a lot of people coming in to my work just looking for the prettiest supplies for color their adult coloring books, which is fun for me.

Adult coloring books are the gateway drugs to travel watercolor sets, which are a slippery slope to regular watercolors, which are the foot in the door to taking an art class.

I take paint and booze classes with my friends now.  It's the shit.
    I feel like if more things included "and booze" I'd take more classes.

How to balance your checkbook, with Jack Daniels!
    Spin class with Skyy!
    Filing your taxes and doing shots! 

I'd go to these things. 
    DH and I have done several 5Ks where the sponsors reward you with massive amounts of beer when you finish. It's the only reason I go to those darn things!
    Yeeeeeepppp, I just did a blacklight run like this. The "after party" was a pretty legit rave.
  • Options
    Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

Aaaaand now I have a cross stitch kit in my Amazon cart. Yay!

I almost bought that one for a colleague when she had a baby a couple of years ago, but ended up getting this one.

She's expecting baby #2 now, and I'm trying to decide which of these to make.

~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Oh yeah booze AFTER a workout is fun haha, just not during like they do with the painting classes.

• Options
    edited May 2015

I almost bought that one for a colleague when she had a baby a couple of years ago, but ended up getting this one.

I almost got this one!

Of those, I like the middle one the best. Or this one.

• Options

MagicInk said:

I've actually had a lot of people coming in to my work just looking for the prettiest supplies for color their adult coloring books, which is fun for me.

Adult coloring books are the gateway drugs to travel watercolor sets, which are a slippery slope to regular watercolors, which are the foot in the door to taking an art class.

Spin class with Skyy!

I'd go to these things. 
    I don't think spinning with Skyy would be a good idea.  I woudln't wanna be on the cleanup crew for that haha
    Oh lets be real. I'd sit on the bike and get drunk. The only spinning that would happen would be the room.
  • Options

I almost got this one!

Of those, I like the middle one the best. Or this one.
    I freaking love giraffes. And baby animals in general. I'm leaning towards the middle one too since the colors are a closer match to the first one (older child will be moving into a new bedroom, new baby is going into the nursery which they are not redecorating). 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

MagicInk said:

Spin class with Skyy!

I'd go to these things. 
    DH and I have done several 5Ks where the sponsors reward you with massive amounts of beer when you finish. It's the only reason I go to those darn things!

There is a marathon in France where you can stop and drink wine and eat oysters and ice cream. That's my kind of marathon.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29181404

edited: fix line spacing.

• Options
    MagicInk said:

MagicInk said:

Spin class with Skyy!

I'd go to these things. 
    I don't think spinning with Skyy would be a good idea.  I woudln't wanna be on the cleanup crew for that haha
    Oh lets be real. I'd sit on the bike and get drunk. The only spinning that would happen would be the room.
    hahaha amazing.

I'm going to make myself a cocktail after my spin class tonight now

• Options
    I can't sew either. If I could, I'd make my own wedding dress! I used to love to scrapbook but lately, I want to paint everything a soothing shade of ocean blue or antique moss.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I knit when I'm stressed, unfortunately that results in me getting a quarter of the way through feeling better walking away and starting a new project the next time. I have a box of half finished projects. I have only finished one dog sweater and a scarf.

My grandma taught me to see when I was little and that's usually my go to crafty project. I hand make all Halloween costumes every year. Last years best creation was a baby pajama sack using one of FI's band T-shirts and FSS's Halloween costumer. Though that was just cardboard and a ton of time.

• Options
    I know how to knit, but I stick to blankets, since they're harder to screw up.  I'm in the middle of one that was for a friend's kid when he was born.  He's 6 now, almost 7.  Oops.  I also used to do cross stitch as a kid, and I liked it, but I never really liked how everything looked at the end.  Too crafty/country style, and everything was girly and nice.  I like more modern things, so I've kind of stopped doing it.  

I used to teach sewing, but I'm too scared to try and make anything major.  I can never seem to find fabric I like that doesn't cost a fortune, and I'm always worried I'll make the wrong size, or the cut/style won't look good on me when I'm finished, so I never really bothered with it.  

My MIL is stupidly crafty.  You name it, she does it.  Cards, little gift boxes, paints, wood carving, little sculptures and on and on.  She is amazing at it.  

• Options
    Meh I suck... I have literally no artistic talents in my being. I wish I could sew or do scrapbooking, I also wish I could draw or paint since I would love to design clothes. 

The only thing I could sort of do was writing poetry and fiction, but i don't think I was great either. 

• Options
    OMG Quilling is so much fun!  I'm addicted!  I made mothers day cards for my mom and grandma.  This was one piece of it:

• Options
    @Viczaesar that soap looks awesome!
  • Options
    So many great things here! I got tired of clicking the love it, so a thousand love its. 
    I do many things. Too many things. 
    Some times things turn out great, sometimes there are half finished disasters. 
    Basically, if I'm not creating something, I feel empty and aimless. 

@Viczaesar- that soap is beautiful. Not just pretty, but genuinely beautiful. You could sell that without even trying. Is it difficult? Are the supplies expensive? 
  • Options

So many great things here! I got tired of clicking the love it, so a thousand love its. 

@Viczaesar- that soap is beautiful. Not just pretty, but genuinely beautiful. You could sell that without even trying. Is it difficult? Are the supplies expensive? 
    So much this! I don't care if it's a meal or a piece of furniture or something to hang on the wall... I just love there being something pretty where there wasn't before. :)

• Options

So much this! I don't care if it's a meal or a piece of furniture or something to hang on the wall... I just love there being something pretty where there wasn't before. :)
    Yes, that exactly. 
    Are you going to make that adorable kitchen island you put on your dream kitchen pictures? 
    I really want you to. Because you totally, one hundred percent could. Vintage dresser into kitchen island was my very first serious furniture project. Lowes has a seven dollar mitre box and hand saw set, and you're off to the races. Nails, wood glue, hammer. 
    If you can sew, and measure and cut fabrics and papers, you can handle wood. 
    Added bonus- by the time you're finished, you not only have an adorable and excellent kitchen island for maybe 100 bucks, but you've mastered the mitre box and wood trim. Easy. 
  • Options
    I started cross-stitching when my kids were little and DH worked long hours. I made all kinds of things for the kids and did wedding announcements for several nieces. I havent done one in a while though and a friend of DD's is cross-stitchjng a wedding announcement for her.

I learned to sew when DD was born and made all her dresses for a while. Currently, I'm sewing two flower girl dresses for the wedding - almost done. DD and I have done a lot of crafting for the wedding.

I have always wanted to learn to crochet! My grandmother made afghans all the time and they were so beautiful. i wishes I had learned how when she was still with us.
  • Options

Yes, that exactly. 
    Are you going to make that adorable kitchen island you put on your dream kitchen pictures? 
    I really want you to. Because you totally, one hundred percent could. Vintage dresser into kitchen island was my very first serious furniture project. Lowes has a seven dollar mitre box and hand saw set, and you're off to the races. Nails, wood glue, hammer. 
    Added bonus- by the time you're finished, you not only have an adorable and excellent kitchen island for maybe 100 bucks, but you've mastered the mitre box and wood trim. Easy. 
    Oh momma I so wish I could. I dream of that island. But our kitchen is way too small. It's only about... 6 feet? 8? deep from cabinet to cabinet. We can't expand depth-wise because it would eat from my piano room (NO) or be hanging out in space over the walkout basement (if only). Can't make it longer because that would kill my formal dining room (NO). FIL says "what do you need a formal dining room for anyway?" FOR FORMAL DINING, DUH. WITH MY FANCY CHINA. MIL says "just forget your banquette seating in the kitchen and eat at the island with some bar stools." Um, and my toddler eats where? NO. 

• Options

Yes, that exactly. 
    Oh momma I so wish I could. I dream of that island. But our kitchen is way too small. It's only about... 6 feet? 8? deep from cabinet to cabinet. We can't expand depth-wise because it would eat from my piano room (NO) or be hanging out in space over the walkout basement (if only). Can't make it longer because that would kill my formal dining room (NO). FIL says "what do you need a formal dining room for anyway?" FOR FORMAL DINING, DUH. WITH MY FANCY CHINA. MIL says "just forget your banquette seating in the kitchen and eat at the island with some bar stools." Um, and my toddler eats where? NO. 
    Oh, sad! I imagined you with this huge glamour kitchen!
    You ruined me with that picture of the aqua range. I had been perfectly content with my stove until then. Now I'm scouring the internet and trying to figure out a budget for extra cool vintage looking stove.
    My kitchen is little, too. So my island is not an island, or even a peninsula. More of a shore, under the window.
    I'd take a formal dining room over a bigger kitchen as well.  
  • Options

Yes, that exactly. 
    You ruined me with that picture of the aqua range. I had been perfectly content with my stove until then. Now I'm scouring the internet and trying to figure out a budget for extra cool vintage looking stove.
    My kitchen is little, too. So my island is not an island, or even a peninsula. More of a shore, under the window.
    My broken heart is soothed by the back deck wrapping around a dogwood tree, and back property line bordered by lilacs. I could have had a huge kitchen, or that yard. Not both. I went with the yard.

And the brick fireplace framed by built-ins doesn't hurt. And H is tricking out the second coat closet into a big pantry.

• Options

Yes, that exactly. 
    UGH, if you could just make all of my furniture for me, please.
  • Options

I want to paint another clock table. Months too late, I realized what a fun wedding present it would have been for my daughter, because she has a view of a really old cool clock tower from her window, and I could have copied it and painted the hands to the ceremony time of 7, and that would have been cute as all hell. 

This one was fun, from a picture of a train station clock. Same idea, different clock. (5 dollar table, which made it even more fun.)

You can paint me one with a compass rose on it. I'll fly out to pick it up!

• Options

I want to paint another clock table. Months too late, I realized what a fun wedding present it would have been for my daughter, because she has a view of a really old cool clock tower from her window, and I could have copied it and painted the hands to the ceremony time of 7, and that would have been cute as all hell. 

This one was fun, from a picture of a train station clock. Same idea, different clock. (5 dollar table, which made it even more fun.)

You can paint me one with a compass rose on it. I'll fly out to pick it up!
    I love the compass rose idea. And there are so many beautiful antique prints of them. And my guests wouldn't get lost, if I kept in pointing north correctly. What a great idea.
  • Options

Yes, that exactly. 
    I actually have an aqua range...

I bought an old 2-flat 10 years ago with my sister and found one in the basement when we moved in. It clearly hadn't been used in decades but there was no rust. I would have loved to have put it into my apartment but my sister and I could never agree on who would get it-- plus, it didn't fit into either kitchen.

We just found a buyer for the building (we close 8/7!) and the buyer told us that he didn't want any of the appliances since it would be a complete gut. I get the stove back! I'm in the process of figuring out how to make it fit into the house DH and I share.

The range needs a bit of work but we have a neighbor who used to repair appliances for a living. He's retired and has a ton of free time so he's doing it for us in exchange for homemade cookies. He'll get started as soon as I can get it here!

I'm in love with that table. I also wish we had a house big enough for any of the crafty projects that I fall in love with online.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards