Budget Weddings Forum

Buying a wedding dress online

2»

Re: Buying a wedding dress online

• I measured myself and ordered a dress from BHLDN online. It arrived and fits perfectly (just needs to be bustled.) They have a pretty easy return policy, so I wouldn't have been out much money if it wasn't the right dress. I'm sure J. Crew and similar retailers would be the same.

Then again, I buy most of my clothes online because I'm very tall, so I'm used to/not afraid of the process. But many of the BHLDN dresses are from collections that you COULD find in a bridal salon, so doing a little hunting might help you find the dress in person to see if you actually like it. I was just so in love with my dress that I bought it without seeing it in person first. #noregrets

Also have heard good things about buying used dresses online, as long as you have a conversation with the seller about what might have been altered on the dress before you buy. If you find the perfect dress and want to get it for a lower price, used my be the way to go.
    -----

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @brooklynscott

That was very helpful, thank you!
  • I found a shop by me that sells pre-owned wedding gowns. It's just like shopping at any other store, just everything is pre-owned. Sure, the selection is limited to what they have on hand, but you can actually try the dresses on before committing to anything. Have you tried Googling "pre-owned wedding gown" and your location?

There's not much.  One place has a yellow pages listing but no website, which I find a little odd, but I'll check it out.  I did find a local discount store that looks promising! 
  • @KimberlyR1002

Wow who would of thought looking for cheaper dress online would turn political

I am so sorry that a moment that should be special to you have turned into a Ping pong match.

I thought this site was for suggestions and sharing of ideas not a place where Brides are bullied.

Ok 1st suggestion to you is always to research the company. I have known about Loehmanns for more than20 years now. 1st whenI lived in NY I use to go to the store and buy high-end clothes and shoes for lower prices. I now live in GA and they closed there stores here last year and now opened a online store.

Just like when I shop online at Nordstrom if I see a dress online that's not in the store I usually go to the store and try on the same designer but maybe a different dress to check the cut and size then I order the size online.

Now I would suggest the same for Loehmanns go to a bridal boutique that carries these designers and try on any bridal dress by this designer to check the cut then order

2nd Suggestion- follow your instincts don't buy anything a dress, a shoes, etc if your instincts is telling you not too.

3rd Suggestion- cheaper is not always better.
    Last year I brought my daughters prom dress from DHGate and I knew it was coming from China. I knew the dress wouldn't be prefect. When we got it my daughter was sooo disappointed she even cried. But I saw the vision and I had a great seamstress who transformed the dress below in the pictures. Now some people has had great experiences from ordering from DHGate but I will never order from them again.

4th Suggestion read the reviews

I wish you the best of luck in finding the dress you like & I hope you have a beautiful wedding.

Oh please, no one was bullied in this thread.  Telling you an idea is bad does not equate to bullying.    Ditto every thing ohannabelle and LondonLisa have said in this thread. 

• @KimberlyR1002

I am so sorry that a moment that should be special to you have turned into a Ping pong match.

I thought this site was for suggestions and sharing of ideas not a place where Brides are bullied.

Ok 1st suggestion to you is always to research the company. I have known about Loehmanns for more than20 years now. 1st whenI lived in NY I use to go to the store and buy high-end clothes and shoes for lower prices. I now live in GA and they closed there stores here last year and now opened a online store.

Just like when I shop online at Nordstrom if I see a dress online that's not in the store I usually go to the store and try on the same designer but maybe a different dress to check the cut and size then I order the size online.

Now I would suggest the same for Loehmanns go to a bridal boutique that carries these designers and try on any bridal dress by this designer to check the cut then order

2nd Suggestion- follow your instincts don't buy anything a dress, a shoes, etc if your instincts is telling you not too.

Last year I brought my daughters prom dress from DHGate and I knew it was coming from China. I knew the dress wouldn't be prefect. When we got it my daughter was sooo disappointed she even cried. But I saw the vision and I had a great seamstress who transformed the dress below in the pictures. Now some people has had great experiences from ordering from DHGate but I will never order from them again.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the dress you like & I hope you have a beautiful wedding.

GTFO with bullying allegations. Seriously. Using the term "bullying" to describe anything in this thread is demeaning to the experience of victims of actual bullying. 

Actual bullying is a problem. Warning someone that Chinese knockoff sites aren't worth the money, have bad customer service, and are unethical is NOT bullying. 

And for you, OP, you cannot control how people post here. When you post to an internet forum, it's like shouting a question out into a crowded street. Like, crowded as in thousands of people. Some responses you'll like, some you won't. Responding to each person and telling them how they can/cannot respond to your question is a ridiculous notion. 
    *********************************************************************************

• @KimberlyR1002

Yes, that's what it is.  And if someone suggests buying dresses from sites that are operated by thieves, con artists, and people that exploit other human beings, or suggests that those things just aren't a big deal, it isn't "bullying" to disagree. 

Bullying is the repeated verbal, physical, or emotional abuse or harassment of a particular person. Not disagreeing with someone. 
  • brooklynscottbrooklynscott member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015

@southernbelle0915
    @levioosa
    @ohannabelle

This is and suppose to be a moment where @KimberlyR1002 should be happy I believe you guys are lessing the experience for her. I don't do bullying you can share your opinion but like mines that was shared it is up to the person whether or not they want to take it. Why don't we leave it up to her to decide.

At no time did I read she has made a steadfast decision to use a Chinese Site.

To tell you the truth I didn't even read all your post to her just the ones to me.

Stop jumping on the bandwagon if I wasn't referring to you.... You bunch of FOLLOWERS.

I don't do drama & it seems that's what you guys are about. There is no problem sharing opinion but you guys look like you are out for a fight & I'm the RIGHT ONE because I enjoy putting on my boxing gloves & taking it to the RING.

Now just like You are stating your opinion I am now stating mines..... Stop the Bullying

• Also I am done with this thread Too Much Drama....

@KimberlyR1002 I would suggest you delete this Thread with these negative & unhappy people.

• @southernbelle0915
    @levioosa
    @ohannabelle

This is and suppose to be a moment where @KimberlyR1002 should be happy I believe you guys are lessing the experience for her. I don't do bullying you can share your opinion but like mines that was shared it is up to the person whether or not they want to take it. Why don't we leave it up to her to decide.

To tell you the truth I didn't even read all your post to her just the ones to me.

Stop jumping on the bandwagon if I wasn't referring to you.... You bunch of FOLLOWERS.

I don't do drama & it seems that's what you guys are about. There is no problem sharing opinion but you guys look like you are out for a fight & I'm the RIGHT ONE because I enjoy putting on my boxing gloves & taking it to the RING.

Now just like You are stating your opinion I am now stating mines..... Stop the Bullying

Do you see the irony in saying that you're allowed to share your opinion but others shouldn't if it differs? I know you said you didn't actually read people's posts, but if you would, you would see that she ASKED FOR OPINIONS. People gave opinions (including you). 

What people took issue with in your post is that you used "bullying" to describe the posts of others (which you admit you didn't even read). Bullying is a real tragedy. So please stop using that word to describe a difference in opinion.
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915
    @levioosa
    @ohannabelle

• "To tell you the truth I didn't even read all your post .." 
    Gasp! Who would have guessed? 

Maybe if you read the posts you'd know what you were talking about, instead of just indulging yourself with invented drama and looking silly. 

Post of the day, for the following achievements:

Pretty sure you just won the Drama Llama Invented Bullshit and Fight Picking  Because I Don't Read Award.
    Also nominated for The Inigo Montoya Award, for stunning misuse of words.
    Honorable mention for dramatic boxing ring imagery in Internet Horseshit category.

(Don't forget your boxing gloves on your way out.  I don't think they worked.)

• @southernbelle0915
    @levioosa
    @ohannabelle

Thank you! Every time someone pulls the bullying card Inigo pops up in my head.

• Also I am done with this thread Too Much Drama....

@KimberlyR1002 I would suggest you delete this Thread with these negative & unhappy people.

Dude, you suck at communicating.  Also, OP can't delete the thread.

• edited May 2015
    I had the same problem trying to figure out if the sites are legit. I finally ordered a dress from www.formaldressshops.com they are a supplier for Sears. I haven't received my dress yet (just shipped this morning) so I can't speak for the quality but they worked with me on my dress. The first dress was mistakenly listed in my size but wasn't actually in stock (they did correct the website within the hour), my second choice was on back order until June, my third choice is what I finally decided to order and they gave me a 10% discount plus free shipping so my dress ended up costing $165. 

This is a link to the dress I ended up ordering: 

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I wanted a colorful wedding dress. The only way to get what I wanted was have it made. Missfishbridalonline.com
  •    I was one of the lucky one's who ordered my dress off of Ebay from a Chinese seller for $160.00. It fit perfectly, was well made and beautiful, although more pageanty than most people's taste I suspect. 

However, I've been admonished about saying I had a positive experience because so many people do not and I may give the impression this is typical. It's not, I know what I'm doing and did my research before choosing a vendor. I was also prepared to lose the $160 and go with something else had it turned out a disaster. 

So I would advise you not to do it unless you know what you are getting into and realize what the consequences may be. 
  • CMGragain said:

LightintheBox is a notorious Chinese knock off site.  We have seen terrible reviews.  Don't do it.  Ditto JJ's House.

Who's we??

I've ordered from both and had great experiences...  The tiaras and combs I've gotten were of the same quality I've gotten from places like school events companies but instead of paying $200, I spent $30 or less...  Dresses, well, both the ones I purchased couldn't be found similar in any store, so knock off or not, the quality, especially on mine, was IMO better than I've gotten from the big box bridal store...  The only part that sucked was waiting for a slow boat from Shanghai to get here with the items I ordered..

I had an AWFUL experience with a bridesmaids dress from Light In The Box. The bride picked the dress to stay under a $50 budget. Well the dress was $49... and shipping was something like $52! 

When it came, it was poorly constructed and ill-fitting. The material was cheap and the proportions on the dress were just bizarre. I would never ever advise someone to order from them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards