Attire & Accessories Forum

Eyeglasses or Nearsighted?

I'll be a summer bride wearing eyeglasses for nearsightedness. Contact lenses are not an option. My fiancé has always seen me with glasses but I'd rather not wear them for our photos, especially because the lenses darken in sunlight. What do you recommend?

Re: Eyeglasses or Nearsighted?

• I don't understand your question.  Since you have nixed contact lenses, your choices are 1. glasses, 2. blurry vision (no glasses), or 3. lasiks surgery.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You could wear your glasses but take them off for pictures (where you could either have blurred vision or wear contact lenses for just that short time).  Or, you could get a fancy pair of glasses that don't transition into sunglasses, maybe.  Here is a link to pictures of brides rocking their glasses:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelwmiller/beautiful-brides-in-glasses#.foABl3b0O
  • I'm planning to wear contacts for my entire wedding day, but as Doeydo suggested, taking glasses off just for pics is an option. I had to wear glasses for the dress shopping process, but I handed them off to my mom for a lot of the photos; I just made sure I was standing still and didn't try to move without them. If your vision is better than mine, you might be able to struggle through the whole thing without glasses, but I would bump into every pew on the way down the aisle and be unable to recognize guests in the receiving line.

I'm curious why contacts aren't an option. Just don't like them? I'm out of lenses until I get a new prescription, but oh my gosh I love having peripheral vision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't have transition lenses, so I had no problem rocking my glasses the whole day. I would try to get another pair of non-transition lens glasses. If that isn't doable, I would probably not wear them for pics and the ceremony, just because you know, transition lenses. 

Unless it's overcast. Then you might get lucky.

Anyway, here's me in my glasses.

Anniversary
  • Do you have a back up pair of glasses that are not transitions?  My H wears glasses and he had a pair of both, so he just wore the regular pair for the day.
  • Well, when you put it that way, my only viable option is glasses. I guess the crux of the matter is that the lenses darken in sunlight & I don't want to look like "Joe Cool" in our photos.  Should I just remove my glasses & try not to squint for the pictures?
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper

Well, when you put it that way, my only viable option is glasses. I guess the crux of the matter is that the lenses darken in sunlight & I don't want to look like "Joe Cool" in our photos.  Should I just remove my glasses & try not to squint for the pictures?

I get marks on my nose from my glasses, so make sure you don't have the same issue. I would just get a new pair with regular lenses for the day. Zenni Optical is great for cheap frames.
  • Well, when you put it that way, my only viable option is glasses. I guess the crux of the matter is that the lenses darken in sunlight & I don't want to look like "Joe Cool" in our photos.  Should I just remove my glasses & try not to squint for the pictures?

Yep. Embrace the blindness every time you pose for a picture. Great big smile at all the blurry nothingness, click, glasses. (At least that's how my dress shopping went, but your level of blindness may vary.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Can you get an inexpensive pair of non-transition glasses to wear? 

I had a friend who was married with the same predicament as yours. She purchased a pair of inexpensive frames that were more delicate & were a closer to her skin tone specifically for her wedding. She purchased a pair of frame-less silver metallic glasses, which is a contrast from her dark plastic framed transitions. She was still able to see on her wedding day and still looked like herself in the photos. 

Speaking from personal experience, I don't do well taking photos without my contacts/glasses. I have difficulty seeing where the photographer is. Everyone else is looking at the photographer and I'm clearly looking somewhere else. You might want to do some practice shots without your glasses to see if this will work for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm nearsighted too and I can't stand contacts. I plan on just removing my glasses for the formal pictures. Snap shots I couldn't care less about. I've always removed my glasses for formal pictures though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    We both wear glasses.....are going to have them on for all the photos. We are getting a pair that are close to FI's everyday ones because of the transition lens. We will more than likely have sunglasses on for the receptions since it is outside in the afternoon. 

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't have transitions so I don't have the same issue. However, if I were to take off my glasses, I wouldn't be able to see where the camera was. I don't know how bad your eyesight is without glasses but I'm legally blind without mine, so glasses it is!
  • I wear glasses as well and contacts aren't an option for me. I plan on wearing my glasses during my ceremony and pictures. The way I rationalize it is. I wear these things 24/7 I don't know why i'd wait until the wedding day to wear them some other way. Your wedding day is about being a better version of yourself. But you are still yourself.

Just grab some non transition glasses and wear that on the day don't walk through your wedding blind. You'll miss everything lol.

• I'm not sure why contacts aren't an option but I know my fiance has issues with contacts and he's found that he can wear a kind called Dailies Total. Basically you wear them one day then throw them out so if you problem is that you find contacts dry out to easily on you these ones wont. They are pretty expensive if you plan on wearing them every day but he only wears them on special occasions so its not bad. Also our eye dr. gave him a few pairs to try out and see if he'd even like them before he committed to buying them so if you just plan on wearing them for the wedding and then never again you may not have to pay anything for them.

Just an idea. If that's still a no then what PP were saying about getting a cheap non-transition pair. Zenni Optical is great for that and there are so many options.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards