Chit Chat

Pillow Talk

Like, real pillows.

I have had a "crick" in my neck for the past week since moving to H's house.  It's from my neck, down my back and is pretty painful, and at first I thought it was his pillow, so I moved mine over (still very much in the process of moving) and that helped some, but I woke up with another bad pain this morning.  Does anyone else have this problem? And was it the bed or the pillow that caused it?

Re: Pillow Talk

• Do you sleep on your stomach at all? I've had a couple bouts of torticollis (awful muscle spasms in my neck/shoulders) and one of the things that can cause pain in your neck is sleeping on your stomach. Also, your mattress is probably to blame, as well as the pillow. We desparetly need to replace our mattress because it gives us zero support at this point and it just makes the pain in my neck worse.
  • I personally always sleep on my stomach and I can only use a feather pillow that ends up just giving minimal support. If its too fluffy, I get horrible pains. Though usually I just throw the pillow to the side and get more of the comforter and make that a "pillow".

If it's your neck, it's the pillow. If it's lower/mid back, Its the bed. I would look online based on your sleeping position and get a pillow that correlates. 

imageimage

• MAN. I thought this was going to be a sexy post. 

I have this pillow from amazon and it's the best and worth every penny. I take it with me everywhere. I used to have horrible neck pain because I sleep so weird, but now I don't. I definitely think a pillow makes a difference with neck pain. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I fall asleep on my stomach, but I always end up on my back.  I have a feather pillow at home, so I'll be trying that tonight!
  • This pillow is obviously not cheap, but it's the best one I've ever owned (plus, I'm a hot sleeper so the cooling gel helps). DH is bugging me for his own now!

http://www.mattressfirm.com/memory_foam_lux_gel_pillow-p326.aspx

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• We use a reversible 2 in 1 gel memory foam pillow from Kohls. One side is memory foam and is a bit firmer, while the other side is plush like a regular pillow and soft. That pillow has helped my neck tremendously as a mostly stomach/sometime side/occasional back sleeper. At regular price it is really expensive, but thanks to Kohls sales we got ours on Clearance for $20 instead of the $99 regular price tag. I will never buy a different pillow.
  • It was probably the unfamiliar pillow. See how you feel after a few nights with your old one--if it's still an issue, you might need to go mattress shopping...

I love my tempur-pedic pillow so much. I always regret not bringing it with me to hotels.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • If you have a Costco membership, they sell these really nice gel memory foam pillows that are ridiculously cheap, like 2 for $9 or something like that.  We bought a bazillion of them, even have in our camper, they're that awesome.

Married 9.12.15
  • This pillow is obviously not cheap, but it's the best one I've ever owned (plus, I'm a hot sleeper so the cooling gel helps). DH is bugging me for his own now!

If I had $130 for a pillow I would have to be a very rich bitch.

Only a rich bitch when it comes to my sleep! I'll pay whatever it takes. I'm a bargain clothes shopper though, so in my head at least, it all evens out.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

I saw a reality show earlier today where the girl bought a $83 bath towel. I was like are you fucking kidding me?! I can see a great pillow being worth it but not a towel!

• jenna8984 said:

This pillow is obviously not cheap, but it's the best one I've ever owned (plus, I'm a hot sleeper so the cooling gel helps). DH is bugging me for his own now!

I saw a reality show earlier today where the girl bought a $83 bath towel. I was like are you fucking kidding me?! I can see a great pillow being worth it but not a towel!
    $83 FOR A TOWEL?! That towel had better feel like fucking unicorn spun angel silk on your bits.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015

I personally always sleep on my stomach and I can only use a feather pillow that ends up just giving minimal support. If its too fluffy, I get horrible pains. Though usually I just throw the pillow to the side and get more of the comforter and make that a "pillow".

If it's your neck, it's the pillow. If it's lower/mid back, Its the bed. I would look online based on your sleeping position and get a pillow that correlates. 
    To the bolded: Far too many people sleep with pillows that aren't appropriate for their sleeping positions. I wouldn't doubt this neck pain is from the sudden switch in pillows. Typically, stomach sleepers should have soft pillows, back sleepers should have medium firm pillows, and side sleepers should have firm pillows. 

Signed, 
    Ex Macy's Home Store employee :) 

I thought my $34 pillow was pricey! I would give up a lot for a good night's sleep though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33 said:

I personally always sleep on my stomach and I can only use a feather pillow that ends up just giving minimal support. If its too fluffy, I get horrible pains. Though usually I just throw the pillow to the side and get more of the comforter and make that a "pillow".

To the bolded: Far too many people sleep with pillows that aren't appropriate for their sleeping positions. I wouldn't doubt this neck pain is from the sudden switch in pillows. Typically, stomach sleepers should have soft pillows, back sleepers should have medium firm pillows, and side sleepers should have firm pillows. 

Signed, 
    What if I sleep on all sides?!?? Jk this is why I have the memory foam. I sleep in whatever position my cat allows based on her location.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33 said:

Signed, 
    What if you're the kind of sleeper who's gone to sleep with your head at the headboard and woken up with your feet at the headboard?

...not that I do that... Anymore....
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Yay! Mobile editing is gone still and I still can't seem to remember to not try to X out of my keyboard when I want to read everything I wrote. Yay!

I have shitty pillows. I'm using a cheap pillow we bought right after the fire, and one of FI's that is possibly as old as we are. I'll be watching this thread, since I have no decent input haha.
  • I love my latex foam pillows - memory foam is way too firm for me.  I get headaches if I use another pillow, and my ears hurt.  Mine are king size so they're big enough to curl over and cuddle so I sleep with it on my side in like an L shape.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/latex-foam-pillows/118382

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Ok so, I tried the feather pillow last night, and my neck is some better but still achy.  I'll keep using it over the weekend, and see how I like it..

Somewhat related, H and I bought a new mattress yesterday!  Not because of sleeping problems, but because we bought a king bed from restoration hardware when they were on sale, and we had a 20% off coupon, which was I'm pretty sure like a year ago, so we have had the bed frame in our room for that long, and just haven't gotten a mattress because we are adding a bathroom in upstairs, and the whole upstairs is like a construction zone, and we really couldn't move our old bed into the guest bedroom because there's all this stuff in there right now.

But.... Sears was having an incredible sale, and we ended up getting a $2500 mattress set for $1181. **score** We got a Simmons Beautyrest Recharge mattress.  Anyone have any pros/cons to the brand or model?

• I have that mattress in a queen and I'm obsessed with it. I always thought my other one was fine until we bought this one and it's been the best sleep ever. My brother was the salesman and he talked me into the firm instead of plush and I'm so glad he did, I really love it.

• jenna8984 said:

I have that mattress in a queen and I'm obsessed with it. I always thought my other one was fine until we bought this one and it's been the best sleep ever. My brother was the salesman and he talked me into the firm instead of plush and I'm so glad he did, I really love it.

We got the firm one too with a pillow top.  I can't wait to get it!
  • I definitely would recommend a memory foam pillow. I fall asleep on my stomach but then roll over to my side during the night. I've also been known to sleep on my back occasionally. I like to twist my head around into a fetal position though so that's where the neck stuff came in for me. The pillow I recommended has worked well for me in all of my many sleeping positions. 

I've always hated feather pillows. The feathers come out and poke me in the face. Plus I find them too soft/flat. I like support.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    For the soreness, you could try a sore muscle rub -- that usually helps my neck pain. I use Badger Balm -- it used to be called Warrior Blend, but I think it's just called "sore muscle rub" now (or Tiger Balm works too). It's AWESOME.
  • I recommend the bean shaped TemperPedic pillow from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It's a little expensive but well worth the money. I used to wake up with awful headaches and a stiff neck, that doesn't happen anymore. 

If you sleep mostly on your sides, put a thin pillow between your knees. Try stretching before bed too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards