Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Bride and groom 'thank you' speech at reception?

I was just reading somewhere (like the NY times etiquette) that to make sure you thank your guests you can do one or all of these ways:  receiving line, greeting people at their tables throughout the night and doing a 'thank you' kind of speech.  I'm assuming that the 'thank you' speech is probably at the beginning of the evening... but not quite sure where.  Did any of you do this? 

Re: Bride and groom 'thank you' speech at reception?

• Options

Absolutely agree---the speech is no substitute for the actual intimate meet and greet.  I just read somewhere that some people did the speech at the end but it makes more sense near the beginning. 

• Options
    Making a speech shouldn't replace actually going up to your guests, talking with them and thanking them. I'm partial to receiving lines, so we did that. 
  • Options

DH gave a short thank you toast before the MOH and BM speeches, but we also did table visits and made sure to talk to everyone individually as well.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

I was just reading somewhere (like the NY times etiquette) that to make sure you thank your guests you can do one or all of these ways:  receiving line, greeting people at their tables throughout the night and doing a 'thank you' kind of speech.  I'm assuming that the 'thank you' speech is probably at the beginning of the evening... but not quite sure where.  Did any of you do this? 

ETA: read this wrong and thought you were saying the speech would replace the other things. Oops!

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    Oh gosh... I hope you all didn't think I was going to be an ungracious host and just give a speech and call it a day.  I'm so sorry I was unclear.  We were for sure, certainly, going to do the table visits.  That was #1 on our list of ways to thank folks.  But we didn't know when to do the speech-- we really like that touch.  We're kind of partial to doing all three, actually.  We're extremely grateful for our guests coming.  It really means a lot to us.  It was one of the reasons why we rearranged the whole photo stuff to be able to go the cocktail hour to mingle with folks for at least 20 minutes before the reception.
    Sorry for the book--- I just reread my initial post and saw how it came across.  Gah!
  • Options
    Sorry to misunderstand! I probably would do the thank you speech towards the end of the evening. 
  • Options
    We did a receiving line and then both of us spoke for a quick second right before the MOH/BM toasts.  We also  introduced our bridal parties then because we don't like bridal party "entrances".
  • Options
    We gave our thank you toast (and a short Irish wedding blessing) immediately before the buffet opened for dinner.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    We will be doing a thank you speech after dinner and visits to table and with guests. I point blank refuse to do a receiving line. There is a history of people doing celebratory shots in receiving lines in his family and I will have nothing to do with that because I think it's a disgusting practice.
  • Options
    We're giving a quick "thanks for coming" kinda speech before dinner. Dad wants to say something, so he's saying whatever and then saying a prayer I think. We're skipping MOH/BM speeches. Well, the BM I'm sure wants to say something, but I'm trying to avoid my sister saying anything lmfao
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards