Attire & Accessories Forum

Father of the Bride Attire

As soon as we decided to do a costume party wedding my mother snapped up The Bride of Frankenstein after confirming that I wasn't wearing white. She spent weeks trying to persuade my father to come as Frankenstein monster but to no avail. I truly believe that we will have no idea what he's dressing as until the day of the wedding, which I'm fine with, but so many great options have been suggested for him that I want to see what you all think.

So, who should walk Anne Boleyn down the aisle?

To aide in your decision my father is 6'1, very broad shouldered, bald, has a long nose, a somewhat prominent chin, and very chiseled features. He's also a somewhat formal individual who still wears a dress shirt and tie to work every day when his co-workers are opting for golf shirts.

Father of the Bride Attire 24 votes

The Phantom of the Opera
25% 6 votes
Rick from The Walking Dead
0% 0 votes
Darryl from The Walking Dead
0% 0 votes
Harry Potter
4% 1 vote
Voldemort
4% 1 vote
John Wayne in True Grit
0% 0 votes
Clint Eastwood in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
8% 2 votes
Other (Please leave suggestions!)
58% 14 votes

Re: Father of the Bride Attire

• Oh for crying out loud!  Was it not clear that this was a costume wedding that involves every one choosing a costume?  Was it not clear that the decision is of course, his?  Was it not clear that I don't care what he comes as and that I probably won't even know until the day of the wedding? Forgive me for trying to have a little fun.

Ever since I joined this site it's become more clear to me that the only truly useful things on it are the seating chart feature and the guest list tracker.  The attitude of the vast majority of people on this site is more myopic and judgmental than anything I have ever encountered before in my life.  It's obvious that trying to be positive and share different perspectives is not what this site is all about.  It's about black and white "rules" and shoving all weddings into the same mold.  It's about decorum and etiquette and sticking to notions about what a wedding "should" be and not what a wedding could be. 

Our wedding is going to be personal, fun, and memorable.  Our guests will never have seen anything like it and never will again.  To each is own and if people want to plan the same things over and over again then more power to them.  But I will not be forced into a box.  I will not fit the mold and above all I will not let small narrow-minded people make me feel like my day isn't good enough.  Enjoy your snarking, enjoy your negativity, enjoy making people feel bad about their choices.  It's toxic and I don't need it in my life.

"To thine own self be true"  Truer words were never spoken.
  • How do you know your guests "never will again" see anything like it? Do you predict the future? 

I don't care if you want to do a Halloween costume wedding or not, but I don't get the point of your poll. You say your dad will likely not tell anyone what he is wearing. He'll decide for himself. What difference does it make what any of us suggest if he is already choosing his own costume?  
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I second dressing as a father of the bride.
  • All you seem to do is complain about the people on these boards whenever people don't agree with you (which is basically every post of yours), so why don't you just leave? It doesn't seem like these boards, or participating in online forums in general, are a great fit for you if you can't handle people disagreeing with you.

Formerly martha1818

• Uh. You know Anne Boleyn's husband had her put to death, right? I mean, choose whatever costume you want, but personally that's not something I'd choose for my wedding day.

This was what I was thinking...
  • All you seem to do is complain about the people on these boards whenever people don't agree with you (which is basically every post of yours), so why don't you just leave? It doesn't seem like these boards, or participating in online forums in general, are a great fit for you if you can't handle people disagreeing with you.

Offbeat Bride will pretty much tell you every idea is so amazing and unique no matter what, perhaps that's a better fit for you.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I think he should come as a proctologist. 

Then if Anne Boleyn needs help locating her head, he's the man. 

You need to stop trolling. 
    Hahahahahaha 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Why can't he pick his own costume?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Why are you asking people to vote if guests can pick out their own costume? If your dad is being asked (forced, rather) to wear a costume, for the sweet love - let the man pick out his own damn costume. 

FTR, it's almost like you're trying too hard to have a wedding like this:

This couple was super controlling and theme-y about their wedding, but even in their big shit show, they at least treated people relatively well. You're all about forcing people to do this or that, b-listing.... 

And then you accuse everyone of having a stick up their ass about weddings...when YOU'RE the one who's more controlling and obsessed with your wedding than anyone here ever is/was.
    *********************************************************************************

• I voted for other...let the man decide what he wants to wear. He is an adult after and can pick out his own clothing. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Everyone please don't stone me.. I love costumes and dressing up, I would be so on board with this if a friend did it.. BUT that is just me, and I know the majority of people don't feel that way.. Despite your jumping on the crazy train two posts letter, I have to thank you OP, you gave me such a good idea for my wedding. Since it's right after Christmas... UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATERS!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2015

Everyone please don't stone me.. I love costumes and dressing up, I would be so on board with this if a friend did it.. BUT that is just me, and I know the majority of people don't feel that way.. Despite your jumping on the crazy train two posts letter, I have to thank you OP, you gave me such a good idea for my wedding. Since it's right after Christmas... UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATERS!

OMG best bridal party EVERRRRRRR!!!!
    etf image
    *********************************************************************************

• Everyone please don't stone me.. I love costumes and dressing up, I would be so on board with this if a friend did it.. BUT that is just me, and I know the majority of people don't feel that way.. Despite your jumping on the crazy train two posts letter, I have to thank you OP, you gave me such a good idea for my wedding. Since it's right after Christmas... UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATERS!

OMG best bridal party EVERRRRRRR!!!!
    etf image
    OK, being totally serious right now.. I am going to have to do this for a picture! YES! Not to mention FI and I have matching reindeer sweaters with google eyes so that will have to happen too. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards