Registry and Gift Forum

registry information if NO bridal shower

How do I let people know where I am registered if I am not having a bridal shower?  Can I include the info on separate sheets in with the wedding invitation? 

Re: registry information if NO bridal shower

• edited May 2015
    You can't include any registry information for an event you're planning and/or hosting. That includes your wedding.  It's Ok for registry information to be placed inside a shower invitation because that's an event someone (usually a family member or bridesmaid) is hosting in your honor.   

You can create a wedding website and include the registry information there.  You can include your wedding website information on an insert in your wedding invitation.  You can also let a few close family members know where you're registered and spread the word that way. My mom had someone ask where I was registered months before the shower invites went out.  If people want to give you gifts, they'll find out where you're registered. 
  • How do I let people know where I am registered if I am not having a bridal shower?  Can I include the info on separate sheets in with the wedding invitation? 

You don't advertize your registry in any way.  If you have a wedding website you can have a page (just not the main page) mention where you're registering.  Other than that, it's up to your guests to look for the information if they want it; they can either use Google (it's very easy to find registry info by googling) or ask you or someone in your family. 

Gift information never, ever goes in a wedding invitation, even if you're saying "Don't bring us gifts."  It is acceptable to list where someone is registered in a shower invitation because a shower is a party for the purpose of giving gifts to someone, and must always be hosted by someone other than the gift recipient.  The purpose of a shower is to be 'showered' with gifts; the purpose of a wedding is to get married, not to get gifts.  Mentioning gifts in your wedding invitations indicates that you're expecting gifts, which you should not be doing.

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    If people ask where you're registered, you can tell them. Just don't advertise it, or you'll look super gift-grabby. 
  • Also, there are generally like five or six national chains where the majority of people register, and most people are smart enough to go check those out and find it on their own without you pointing it out and looking like you're fishing for gifts. 

If people ask, you can tell them.  It will get out by word of mouth.

• thanks for the replies...I guess I will have to go with word of mouth, since I have a lot of older, non computer savvy people coming to the wedding.  :)  I do have a "wedding website", but like I said, I also have a lot of people without computers or computer skills

• If people want to know, they'll ask.  

You never bring up gifts to yourself with anyone, wedding or not. 
  • thanks for the replies...I guess I will have to go with word of mouth, since I have a lot of older, non computer savvy people coming to the wedding.  :)  I do have a "wedding website", but like I said, I also have a lot of people without computers or computer skills

Before the internet, when I was bored, I'd go to some of those "known for registries" stores and look up names of people I knew who were engaged.  Sometimes I'd get lucky and find their registries.  Sometimes they wouldn't be registered there.  It's just something I found myself doing when I was at a Crate & Barrell with an hour to kill.  I told you that so you know that even non-computer people can find your registry.
  • adk19 said:

thanks for the replies...I guess I will have to go with word of mouth, since I have a lot of older, non computer savvy people coming to the wedding.  :)  I do have a "wedding website", but like I said, I also have a lot of people without computers or computer skills

Before the internet, when I was bored, I'd go to some of those "known for registries" stores and look up names of people I knew who were engaged.  Sometimes I'd get lucky and find their registries.  Sometimes they wouldn't be registered there.  It's just something I found myself doing when I was at a Crate & Barrell with an hour to kill.  I told you that so you know that even non-computer people can find your registry.
    This is actually why I made mine private. I didn't want anyone finding me randomly, honestly. So, since we couldn't be Googled, I did put on my wedding website "We are registered at [store hyperlink button]."  Short and to-the-point. For those that won't even navigate to your website, word of mouth when asked is definitely appropriate. 

It was rude to broadcast registry information long before the internet was a "thing".   So rest assured that if people want to find your registry, they'll ask. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards