Chit Chat

So apparently i'm a snooty runner. Ahh!

Re: So apparently i'm a snooty runner. Ahh!

• MagicInk said:

Ok so lets review the rules of running a race:
    1. Your ass better run
    2. Be serious about the running
    3. You have to be raising money for a real charity in said run
    4. Do not bother having fun or trying to enjoy yourself
    5. No photos
    6. No fucking walking
    7. No tutus
    8. No glow sticks
    9. No cornstarch
    10. Get out of the way of the faster runners they are more serious about this and trying to improve their time because they take this very seriously because it's running at the ass crack of dawn on a Saturday. Serious business.
    You forgot the runs like Tough Mudder, Spartan, etc.  Those are the "real hardcore" runners.  They look down on everyone working on PR Timing since they are clean and they aren't bleeding or getting electrocuted while doing it.
    Oh honey if I'm getting electrocuted there better be a safe word involved. And I sure as hell am not paying to do it. 

BANANARAMA!
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015

I did one 5k once ever, and it was likely my last.  It was FI's idea cause a bunch of his friends were doing it.  It was at night and was called "The Rave Run".  However, there was hardly any music or lights like they made it look on the website.  It was really stupid, and my knee started popping.  And then, at the end, our "reward" was a dance party.  I'm like uhhh like the last thing I want to do right now is go dance.  We went and got tacos and cocktails instead. 

Apparently everyone complained about how much it sucked, and instead of returning a portion of our entrance fee or whatever (which I think was $60), they gave us discounted entrance to their next race.  Great.

Married 9.12.15
  • I wore a tutu and had professionals take my picture as I jogged my chubby butt along during a Color Run.  My friend who is a "real" runner (this chick does marathons) made sure she was at the front of the race, wearing a matching tutu I might add, and waited for me at the end with a beer in hand.  And helped get the green spot off my back that I couldn't reach afterwards.  Then we went out at drank gin and had oysters that night. And that's why we're friends.

Look at that!  You weren't an asshole and didn't queue up with her and the rest of the real runners!  No one tripped over you!!!!

This is truly teamwork.

You lost me at gin though. . . I just can't.
    In all fairness it was a cucumber gin martini and almost 100 degrees in NYC and it just worked so well with the oysters.  Usually I"m a Whisky gal
    Oh it wasn't straight?  I could do a martini. . . I can't do straight!
    MagicInk said:

1. Your ass better run
    5. No photos
    6. No fucking walking
    7. No tutus
    8. No glow sticks
    9. No cornstarch
    10. Get out of the way of the faster runners they are more serious about this and trying to improve their time because they take this very seriously because it's running at the ass crack of dawn on a Saturday. Serious business.
    You forgot the runs like Tough Mudder, Spartan, etc.  Those are the "real hardcore" runners.  They look down on everyone working on PR Timing since they are clean and they aren't bleeding or getting electrocuted while doing it.
    Oh honey if I'm getting electrocuted there better be a safe word involved. And I sure as hell am not paying to do it. 

DYING, hahahahaha!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• @MagicInk I think you are my favorite... 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We are all entitled to our hobbies or what we do for fun. What one person thinks is AWing is not what another does. What I think about these runs is just my opinion. 

I think when you (the company hosting the race) tell people it's for charity and give 3% or less to the charity, and cost taxpayers thousands at the same time that it is a deceitful way to advertise how you make a living.  That's my opinion.

I have a burr up my ass about the color run in particular. The cornstart thrown clogged up the air conditioning systems for business in the area and they had to fix it themselves or make insurance claims. Which is BS.
    So, in summary, doing something for fun = AW. Got it. I love fun, so I must be the biggest AW out there. Never mind the fact that my having fun requires exactly zero attention.

I mean, yes, this is shitty. But that doesn't make the people running/walking it a bunch of idiots who don't care about "real" runs. It is a fun thing to do.
    In summary, that's not what I said. 

You got your stuff. I got mine. What you do for fun and what I do for fun maybe different and some maybe be the same. What I think is AWing, you may not and vice versa. We all get our opinions and me thinking people running around in a tutu throwing shit and taking selfies is to me AWing. Doesn't mean you can't do it, doesn't mean you can't have fun - Hell, it doesn't even mean I'm gonna try and stop you. Worst thing I'll do is roll my eyes when I see the 15 photos on FB and possibly bitch about it on an anonymous website. No biggie. You do you.

All I ask is that you stop putting words in my mouth. No where did I once use the word idiots. Just bc I disagree with your love of fun runs doesn't mean we have to turn it into so big thing. Stop trying to make this into something bigger than it is and stop putting words in my mouth.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• MagicInk said:

lyndausvi said:

MagicInk said:

lyndausvi said:

So glad I fucking hate running.  Too many rules.

MagicInk said:

1. Your ass better run
    5. No photos
    6. No fucking walking
    7. No tutus
    8. No glow sticks
    9. No cornstarch

Here here! You and mean we'll go get drunk at the bar. At like noon. Like normal people.
    Now I use to do the 8 Tuff Miles in St John. Well really 8.5 miles.  Yep,you hit mile 8 and they say "half mile left".  I'm like WTF, it's 8 Tuff Miles, not 8.5. GRR.

Anyway, I was a walker and I walked that course in  under 2 hours.  Faster then some runners.  The course started at sea level, went up to 999 feet above sea level, then back down.  The end of the course is next to Skinny Legs bar and restaurant. I would be done between 9-10am, head over to the bar and start pounding beer with my friends.

That was the only race I enjoyed doing.   Lots of music along the route.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think fun runs are great! They get people out and moving that wouldn't be motivated to do it! Still think you should walk to the right but I won't get back into that since everyone's idea of fun is different. 

I will say I am partial to great locations for a run! I hate running it but one race I will train for is a 62 mile relay with a team of 6, you each run two legs that are between 4 and 6 miles. You start anywhere between 2am and 8am but it's my all time favorite place to camp, you are in the middle of the mountains and it's beautiful! Yes, I am crippled for the next week and the elevation sucks but there is nothing like being in a group of people that you like suffering together. 

I think everyone should find something they enjoy and do it! Doesn't matter what it is!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think fun runs are great! They get people out and moving that wouldn't be motivated to do it! Still think you should walk to the right but I won't get back into that since everyone's idea of fun is different. 

I will say I am partial to great locations for a run! I hate running it but one race I will train for is a 62 mile relay with a team of 6, you each run two legs that are between 4 and 6 miles. You start anywhere between 2am and 8am but it's my all time favorite place to camp, you are in the middle of the mountains and it's beautiful! Yes, I am crippled for the next week and the elevation sucks but there is nothing like being in a group of people that you like suffering together. 

I think everyone should find something they enjoy and do it! Doesn't matter what it is!
    H's family runs a relay race similar that every year, except it's 200 miles and the individual legs are longer. H did it the first year were dating and LOVED it. Said it was miserable the whole time he was doing it (especially sleeping under a slide on a park playground in the rain due to no tents being left) but afterwards, you just want to do it again. Hopefully we'll get to join them next year - they're so expensive and we need time to save!
  • I'm snooty in spin class if you have long hair and keep it in a ponytail and it touches the sweat on  your back and then you flick your head and your sweat flies ONTO ME.  Put that shit in a bun.

Otherwise I'm cool.

• I'm snooty in spin class if you have long hair and keep it in a ponytail and it touches the sweat on  your back and then you flick your head and your sweat flies ONTO ME.  Put that shit in a bun.

Otherwise I'm cool.
    Ew!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

Otherwise I'm cool.
    Ew!
    Happened to me yesterday, look, I'm a sweaty beast, I get being abnormally sweaty.  But that's why my hair is secured to the top of my head so no one else is wearing my sweat.  

Otherwise I'm cool.

I just barfed a little.

I'm snooty at the gym when people use the elliptical RIGHT next to me when there are literally five empty ones right there! Just, why??

LOL- this made me giggle.  I am that girl, too.  Seriously- personal space, people! :)  If there's space, spread out, gah!  

• Oh it wasn't straight?  I could do a martini. . . I can't do straight!

Me neither PGL...me neither.

Oh...you meant straight gin....
  • Walkers don't annoy me. Especially at fun runs. I'm glad they're out there! 

The only thing I get annoyed about is people stopping in the middle of the road/sidewalk to do whatever - whether a selfie, responding to a text, fixing their hair...whatever. Step to the side. Because if I'm right behind you and we were going the same pace, I'm probably going to run into you. Sorrynotsorry.

But I get annoyed with this in life in general. Not just at 5Ks. 
    This also annoys me in everyday life. Why are you just randomly stopping? Are you about to die and can't move over? Is there a bomb? No? Then why did you stop in front of me?

• We are all entitled to our hobbies or what we do for fun. What one person thinks is AWing is not what another does. What I think about these runs is just my opinion. 

I think when you (the company hosting the race) tell people it's for charity and give 3% or less to the charity, and cost taxpayers thousands at the same time that it is a deceitful way to advertise how you make a living.  That's my opinion.

I have a burr up my ass about the color run in particular. The cornstart thrown clogged up the air conditioning systems for business in the area and they had to fix it themselves or make insurance claims. Which is BS.
    So, in summary, doing something for fun = AW. Got it. I love fun, so I must be the biggest AW out there. Never mind the fact that my having fun requires exactly zero attention.

I mean, yes, this is shitty. But that doesn't make the people running/walking it a bunch of idiots who don't care about "real" runs. It is a fun thing to do.

You got your stuff. I got mine. What you do for fun and what I do for fun maybe different and some maybe be the same. What I think is AWing, you may not and vice versa. We all get our opinions and me thinking people running around in a tutu throwing shit and taking selfies is to me AWing. Doesn't mean you can't do it, doesn't mean you can't have fun - Hell, it doesn't even mean I'm gonna try and stop you. Worst thing I'll do is roll my eyes when I see the 15 photos on FB and possibly bitch about it on an anonymous website. No biggie. You do you.

All I ask is that you stop putting words in my mouth. No where did I once use the word idiots. Just bc I disagree with your love of fun runs doesn't mean we have to turn it into so big thing. Stop trying to make this into something bigger than it is and stop putting words in my mouth.

Hold up, a person can't do the Color Run or other goofy themed run without wearing a tutu and taking selfies? FUCK, I guess that means I'll never do one.

I think where people found your comment over the top was when you conflated "annoying behaviors AT fun runs" with the runs themselves. People are annoying all the time, everywhere. That doesn't mean running for charity or running just to be silly is automatically attention whoring. One could theoretically run a silly race without taking a single photo or wearing a single tutu. I've done it. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel

H's family runs a relay race similar that every year, except it's 200 miles and the individual legs are longer. H did it the first year were dating and LOVED it. Said it was miserable the whole time he was doing it (especially sleeping under a slide on a park playground in the rain due to no tents being left) but afterwards, you just want to do it again. Hopefully we'll get to join them next year - they're so expensive and we need time to save!
    You should totally do it.. I have been so sad I had to miss it the last two years.. I got sent to Singapore for work last year and this year the team is just all over the place and can't pull it together! I agree with your H though, you hate life the whole time but being with those people makes you just want to start all over when you are done!

A lot of people from my work do it and we caught up to my supervisor one year so we stopped to cheer her on. It was REALLY hot that year (blizzard the year before) and she was dying for some cold water so we gave her some. It's just such a fun atmosphere. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited May 2015

We are all entitled to our hobbies or what we do for fun. What one person thinks is AWing is not what another does. What I think about these runs is just my opinion. 

Hold up, a person can't do the Color Run or other goofy themed run without wearing a tutu and taking selfies? FUCK, I guess that means I'll never do one.

I think where people found your comment over the top was when you conflated "annoying behaviors AT fun runs" with the runs themselves. People are annoying all the time, everywhere. That doesn't mean running for charity or running just to be silly is automatically attention whoring. One could theoretically run a silly race without taking a single photo or wearing a single tutu. I've done it. 

************eta boxes ************

FFS. I forgot that I said everyone who runs in a fun run is a fucking idiot in a tutu. My bad. (on mobile so the pink comic sans isn't working for me)

It must be exhausting for some people taking every little opinion personally and making it into a big fucking debate.

If you ( general you, of course :unamused: ) want to wear a tutu, go right ahead. But I'm gonna side eye it.. like I do people who wear leggings in public with crop tops. Sorrynotsorry. I'm allowed to be an opinionated snarky bitch as much as the next person.

For the record, I said I don't like the runs themselves, not just bc some people in them are what I consider to exhibit AW behavior ...but hey whatever, keep taking my personal dislike of fun runs personally. I'm shocked my opinion matters so much on such a trivial matter.

This is like arguing if soccer is stupid or not. ( it's not, it's awesome) It's a fucking opinion, it has no barring on anyone and won't effect the season in the slightest.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I can't believe this thread went on for 4 pages.

Anniversary

Otherwise I'm cool.

I just barfed a little.

I'm snooty at the gym when people use the elliptical RIGHT next to me when there are literally five empty ones right there! Just, why??

LOL- this made me giggle.  I am that girl, too.  Seriously- personal space, people! :)  If there's space, spread out, gah!  
    Yes! Same if we're in the change room, my pants are off and there are a gazillion other empty lockers..but nope, you need the one right next to me!

Formerly martha1818

You should totally do it.. I have been so sad I had to miss it the last two years.. I got sent to Singapore for work last year and this year the team is just all over the place and can't pull it together! I agree with your H though, you hate life the whole time but being with those people makes you just want to start all over when you are done!

A lot of people from my work do it and we caught up to my supervisor one year so we stopped to cheer her on. It was REALLY hot that year (blizzard the year before) and she was dying for some cold water so we gave her some. It's just such a fun atmosphere. 
    You must be talking about Ragnar? H loves those. They did an ultra a few years ago for a friend's 30th birthday in Vegas. SIX of them ran 200 miles.

I stayed behind in Vegas with the other spouses and drank and gambled.
  • MagicInk said:

Remind me not to do any 5K ever for any reason at all. One because running seems kind of pointless if there isn't an ax murder behind me and a naked Evan Rachel Wood in front of me. And two I had no idea one could be super serious and competitive about running around on a Saturday morning. If I run too fast, I'll spill my bloody mary. 

A girl I know once said girl if you see me running, you better run too because a fucking zombie or some shit is after me. I was like YES ME TOO. I'll run a bit but only if I know a mimosa is waiting at the end.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • littlepep said:

MagicInk said:

Remind me not to do any 5K ever for any reason at all. One because running seems kind of pointless if there isn't an ax murder behind me and a naked Evan Rachel Wood in front of me. And two I had no idea one could be super serious and competitive about running around on a Saturday morning. If I run too fast, I'll spill my bloody mary. 

A girl I know once said girl if you see me running, you better run too because a fucking zombie or some shit is after me. I was like YES ME TOO. I'll run a bit but only if I know a mimosa is waiting at the end.
    The half marathon I'm running in a few weeks has mimosas and brunch for the participants at the end. I'm excited.

• run?...what is this run you speak of...this bitch does NOT run...ever....

also 

Anniversary
  • Hey look, me and my teeny childrens are giant AWs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards