Wedding 911

Wedding-Ready Body?!

Not sure if this goes here or in the "plus size" forum, but I figured wanting the perfect bod on your wedding day applied to every bride, not just plus size. So, here we go...

I am a plus-sized bride (about 5'3, 220lbs), and I'd like to lose some weight before my wedding. I'm not really looking to be thin and in the best shape of my life (although, if the regimen is easy enough to stick with, I might do just that). I just want to be a little more...shapely. I was wondering if anyone out there has a really simple diet and/or exercise plan that would work well for this. Keep in mind, I have plenty of time before now and the wedding, so I don't need an extreme diet plan to lose 50 lbs. in a month or anything. Slow and steady is fine with me.

Thanks, guys & girls! :D

- Kayla

Re: Wedding-Ready Body?!

• I lost almost 30 pounds in the past year leading up to my wedding.  Two things contributed to that.  I started exercising- 3 times a week.  I would alternate between strength and cardio work outs.  Muscle burns fat so a little light weight lifting (even just 5 pounds) might help tone those arms!  The rowing machine a my gym also did wonders for my back and shoulders (two things hard to hide in a strapless dress).

I also used a free app on my phone (My Fitness Pal) to track what I ate and how many calories came in and out.  It was really helpful.  Who knew my love of cheese was doing so much damage every week?  I recommend it.  They'll even give you a suggested calories per day
  • My best advice, once you start working out and watching what you eat, is to not be fooled by the scale at first. I ALWAYS gain weight when I start new work out routines. I usually lose at first, then gain weight as I grow muscle tissue. You can weigh yourself, but also measure yourself. Your weight may bounce up a little bit, but will see yourself shrinking down if you track measurements.
  • Not sure if this goes here or in the "plus size" forum, but I figured wanting the perfect bod on your wedding day applied to every bride, not just plus size. So, here we go...

I am a plus-sized bride (about 5'3, 220lbs), and I'd like to lose some weight before my wedding. I'm not really looking to be thin and in the best shape of my life (although, if the regimen is easy enough to stick with, I might do just that). I just want to be a little more...shapely. I was wondering if anyone out there has a really simple diet and/or exercise plan that would work well for this. Keep in mind, I have plenty of time before now and the wedding, so I don't need an extreme diet plan to lose 50 lbs. in a month or anything. Slow and steady is fine with me.

- Kayla

Hate to break it to ya, but there is no 'simple' way to lose weight. If you want to succeed, it will take hard work and dedication, and won't be easy.

When exactly is your wedding?

I would suggest a program that incorporates a nutrition plan AND exercise, because your nutrition/diet makes up about 80% of a successful weight loss regime. And you just cannot out-exercise a bad diet.

Look into the 21 Day Fix--it has an excellent diet/nutrition plan that educates you on the importance of healthy eating. It comes with several work-outs, too. And once you finish the first 21 days, you can keep repeating the program. 
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I second the 21 day fix. It isn't easy, but it is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. 
  • Sparkpeople.com is also good for tracking nutrition and exercise. They also have a great recipe website and an online community for support.
  • Hook up with your local "power gym" - not the one with the pretty fancy marquise outside, or the $10/month membership, the one with the scary looking dudes lifting insane amounts of weight.  (hint: Those scary looking dudes end up being the biggest teddy bears you'll ever meet in your life and some of the most encouraging in your fitness journey because they once were where you're at)

At the end of the day, do you want to be toned up in your dress or do you just want to lose weight?  Losing weight is easy, as another competitive friend used to say "the only thing you need to know about cutting weight is water weighs 8.5lbs. to the gallon", but there's a term "skinny fat" (they're skinny, but no real muscle definition)...  If you want to look toned up and feel healthy while doing it because you aren't fixating on a scale, hook up with the bodybuilders and the powerlifters, these people are the experts.  Fitness magazines are bunk, there is no "quick and easy fix" because this is about lifestyle.  The other thing is, you don't likely just want to look/feel good for the wedding, you want to be able to live a life of enjoyment, and this being something that you can do long after the wedding, because it's easy to go on a deprivation diet then balloon back up (bodybuilders and fitness magazine types only look that way for about a week which is filled with competitions and photo shoots - they don't look like that the rest of the time but no one tells you that who is trying to sell you on the latest and greatest pink dumbbell fitness and diet plan or WOD). 

Also, hooking up with a GREAT trainer will be worth its weight in gold.  You want to train with someone who fits the part.  Sadly, this is something that is difficult if not impossible to find.  Too many people "read it in a book" and don't have the life experience to know what really is good form for your body, not the book model.  Or worse, they got a job as a trainer, but you can out-rep them and they're winded just walking between equipment. 

As for how to find a power gym, check Powerlifting Watch's website as they have listings all over the world really, google your local area for power gyms, check if there are any meets/competitions in your area and hook up with people there to get recommendations.  Most people there will be brutally honest with you, and that's what'll help you get results in the shortest amount of time possible, linking up with the right people!

• Ditto the part about finding a good trainer. I went to a boot camp with a great trainer. It's cheaper, since it's a class with others and not a one-on-one session. If you can spend the money, get the personal trainer.

With my good boot camp trainer, I got in the best shape of my life. With the other trainer, I hated myself, felt like I sucked at everything, and saw no real results that I couldn't have done on my own. It really does make a big difference. 
  • Not sure if this goes here or in the "plus size" forum, but I figured wanting the perfect bod on your wedding day applied to every bride, not just plus size. So, here we go...

- Kayla

Since  you mention "simple" diet and exercise plan, what's your baseline? What is your current lifestyle? Not knowing this, the first thing I'd say is cut smoking if you smoke, have fewer alcoholic drinks if you current enjoy drinks, and completely cut soda (go to black coffee if you need the caffeine). Take walks on your lunch break or in the evenings. If you buy your lunch often, stop that, and start bringing sandwiches (whole grain, not white bread) and fruit and veggies for lunch. 
    These are minor lifestyle changes that can make a difference right off the bat. It can be hard to do a total 180* in lifestyle, so I'd suggest minor improvements before going into more rigorous changes like work-out plans or drastic diet adjustments. 

• I've always been a pretty fit person, and losing weight and sticking to a diet is hard work. Granted, I work around pastries all day. But I have to really push myself to stick to a diet and a workout plan. It's easy to lose motivation. 

I also suggest joining a gym and getting a trainer. Cut out things like soda, processed foods, sugary sweets. Try to do something active every day, even if it's walking. 
  • I use MyFitnessPal-- so does my little sister, who is getting married this year. And my best friend, who is one of my BMs. I use it to track calories and exercise. It helps me keep in mind what's going into my body without having to stress about it and do crazy diets.

I'm also of the mindset that little changes go a long ways. If you don't like the idea of a personal trainer, try starting out with a very simple exercise routine and adding to it over time. For instance, commit to 5 minutes of certain exercises every day. Within a week or so, add another two minutes of the same intensity. Make sure you're putting your all into these "small" exercises and you'll notice changes in no time.

Walking is good and low impact. Get good shoes, talk to your mother or best friend on the phone. Find an exercise buddy. Cut out all sodas.

Small can be big.

• I was wondering if anyone out there has a really simple diet and/or exercise plan that would work well for this.

Honestly, I agree with most others. A healthy, lower calorie diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight and keep it off. There's a reason people say "diets don't work". Because they're often temporary, so it's rare to see long-term success. 

I found it helpful to get a fit bit to track my steps/exercise. I also use the food tracker/calorie counter on the fit bit app as well. It really helps keep me honest.
    *********************************************************************************

- Kayla

I'm not plus sized but I know I'm pretty perfect and I don't need to change myself for an event.

Lose weight for a lifestyle change, not to look good in a dress. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• The 21 Day Fix! Woo! Once you get the hang of it, it's damn good and it makes you work. Also, don't focus on the scale. The way I see if I'm losing weight or toning up, is by the way clothes fit me, or how pictures look at from "before & after" :) and if you want to keep track, like others mentioned MyFitnessPal is a great app!
  • Ditto with everyone else. My engagement will be 18 months total,but I started cutting back on little changes the entire year before, and then 6 months ago I really started to watch what I ate, I ramped exercise from 3-4 times a week to 6-7, and I cut alcoholic drinks completely out during the week (before I was drinking 1-2/night). I've been exclusively doing Pure Barre but no other cardio.

I got a fit bit in February and it helped a lot. I set a weight goal for my bachelorette party (set on easy weight loss, -250 calorie deficit a week for 6 weeks) and it got me to 0.4 of my goal the week before of my bachleorette and at my goal the week after. The nice thing about fitbit's app is it tracks calories and exercise, but it will adjust calorie goal throughout the day based on your fitness level. I only have the zip ($60), but if you stick with it, it works.

The nice thing about this approach is I don't feel deprived and I am going to stick with my lifestyle choices after the wedding, it's not just a crash. People have commented that I look skinnier, but not emaciated - more toned and strong. 

Oh - and also ditto on the scale. I started taking pictures of myself in the same bathingsuit once a month and put them in a folder in my iPhone. When I got frustrated at the scale, I looked at my progress  inches and tone wise and it kept me motivated. It took a long long time for the scale to move, but it did! 

Good luck!
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Weight watchers. Its simple and very effective.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

Weight watchers. Its simple and very effective.

I lost 55lbs on WW in 2005 and managed to keep it off for 7 years.

Then I discovered beer. Welcome back 55lbs. Nice of you to bring 15lbs with you.

• I really like the Body by Vi shakes. They are super delicious and I know a lot of people who have lost a good amount of weight with them. 
  • atlastmrsgatlastmrsg member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Getting a trainer will make you accountable.  When I had one, I went to the sessions because I didn't want to waste what I'd paid for, and have to call and say I wasn't coming.  I stayed in the 120s while I was working with a trainer.  A few years without him and a demanding job later though, I got into the 150s.

I'd like to think I could do a diet alone, but I didn't get the results I really wanted without the trainer when I was younger, and recently, medically assisted dieting.  If you end up in a crunch, I lost about 15 lbs in a month with InShape MD--went from 156 to 140 for a charity gala this year.  You may want to check them out if you don't get the results you want.  It's a combination of very strict diet and daily shots.  There are franchises around the country.  If you don't cheat and actually eat what's in the workbook, you could have a similar experience.  It's not fun to eat all cabbage, broccoli, plain chicken, etc. but it worked for me.  And the needles are so tiny that I didn't notice the shots.
  • I signed up for an online coaching program and it was pretty good, it's a one year program with specific habits to follow and exercises to do 6 days per week. You have to be motivated to do it though! I started last July and have lost 25lbs, I've got about 5 more to go so I should make it by my August wedding! 

Good luck! Slow and steady wins the race ;)
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You will be a beautiful bride on your wedding and have a perfect wedding ready body, because all you need for a "wedding body" is a body on your wedding day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards