June 2016 Weddings

So let's talk about flowers.

I know it's still a little early, but I'm starting to think about flowers. Personally, they are very low on my priority list because I think they are a tad bit wasteful and on top of that can be VERY costly.

However, I've looked into alternatives and I can't say I've found anything I love for the bridesmaids to carry. I'll probably end of picking some smaller arrangements with budget friendly flowers. Gerbera daisies, carnations, peonies, and cabbage roses are a few favorites, though not all of those are budget friendly. I also prefer more round bouquets than the cascading ones.

As for the centerpieces I just plan to go with something really basic, I just have no idea what yet haha.

So lovely June brides, where are flowers on your priority list? What kind of flowers do you plan on using? Are you playing up the "Summer" theme in your choices?

Re: So let's talk about flowers.

• kmomackmomac member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    Man, I don't know. Flowers are so costly, and they're a low priority for me too. I am exploring silk flowers from an Etsy seller. She sent me a boutonnière as a sample since I haven't really looked into this option prior to now. The silks are more appealing to me because I'm getting married in Florida in June, and I can keep my bouquet forever. I envision it decorating up a vanity or office space in our future home. 

I love the look of hydrangeas, especially since it seems to closely match a rustic beach theme. I also really love white hydrangeas, especially since I'm leaning toward a pool blue color for the bridesmaids. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with both of you on the low-priority thing, even though my "vision" is an enchanted garden style. I guess it's mainly due to the fact that I'll probably save by using my friend's mother as my florist. She'll charge me a flat rate and then wholesale prices for the flowers. But, I also agree that flowers can just seem like a waste since they won't last forever. 

I'm definitely going to go with silk flowers on some big decorative pieces so that I can have them done and ready to go prior to the big day. 

As for style, I'm on the other side of the spectrum as you @rachdzog08. I LOVE the cascading bouquets over round. Here's a pic of my ideal bouquet. I'm like googly-eyed over the thing lol :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kmomac I thought about using silk flowers too, but I was finding they were just as expensive as real! If you don't mind me asking, what etsy seller? And are you finding that to be the case too? Maybe I've been looking in the wrong places as well because I've yet to see a silk bouquet that I like as much as a real one.

@allyballyoop It's great that you have a family friend who is helping you out! I wish I knew more people in the wedding industry haha! That bouquet is absolutely beautiful, even if it's not my style! Do you plan on getting the silk arrangements through your florist friend? I like the idea of them, but I've seen some even more expensive than real flowers! 

I don't have a dress yet, but I'm imaging a HUGE ballgown with a fluffy round bouquet. Sort of like this pic, except maybe with a few more pops of color, and a bright ribbon attached. I'm thinking either a bright coral or light turquoise for the bridesmaids, so I'm not sure what kind of bouquet they'll carry. I CANNOT wait to start seriously getting into these tiny details!!  As soon as I get videographer and DJ out of the way I'm gonna start focusing on them.
  • @rachdzog08 Wow - that bouquet is gorgeous! I love the soft colors, but agree that a pop of color would be nice. For the silk arrangements, I'll probably go online and search for stuff. Or maybe even just default to what I can find at a local craft store.

@kmomac, I'm also excited to hear what you've been finding in your searches!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My friend got married last year and used a local flower shop. The store isn't large and isn't in the city. I will be using the same flower shop as she did. She said that one flower basket with tons of flowers cost her only $15. She used them as her center pieces. I think the bridesmaids flowers were about $25, which isn't bad compared to other places.  She told me  to go to the flower shop next month to get an idea of the types of flowers they offer during the summer months. I'm just like the first two ladies, i find flowers a waste. We were going to use lemons and candles for our center pieces, but I thought about it for a week and didn't like the idea, so flowers it is!!!
  • kmomackmomac member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    @rachdzog08 and @allyballyoop I found SongsfromtheGarden on Etsy that I like. I'm still entertaining the idea of real flowers, but I don't know. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I already booked my florist and got a REALLY good deal. I was trying to avoid being too excited for them because I was scared of pricing, but got really excited when I realized I could actually get what I wanted for a decent price. Keep looking around!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• For me I wasn't very excited about flowers due to the fact I had no idea what I wanted. I thought I knew but after seeing a sample arrangement (and the prices) I hated how the flowers looked together and my wallet begged me to say no as well haha..but my mother on the other hand wanted to start looking at the silk and the "real feel" flowers the second we got engaged lol so since I picked out my colors I started doing some searching on pintrest for ideas and found the perfect boquet for me and we are going to do our own arrangements (and by "we" I mean my mother since she is absolutely ecstatic about flowers plus buying them and has done several arrangements before including her own wedding)
    So this is what I found
  • @MrsMitchell2016, that's a gorgeous arrangement! Where are you finding the "real feel" flowers?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're doing lavender and baby's breath. Not sure if we're doing fresh or dried lavender though. I might through some tiny daisies or something pink into my bouquet. Maybe.
  • I'm going in for my price quotes for my flowers soon and my question is: Who gets a corsage? Just the mother of the bride and groom? Grandma's? 
  • To my knowledge I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. I've seen it both ways. Are you close to your grandparents? If so, I say go for it. I'm sure it would mean a lot to them. I don't think it's 100% necessary though.
  • I just bought flowers at Michaels this past weekend... I had a 50 percent off coupon of an item... So I had 6 people go with me. Then the next day I got an email with 40 percent off your purchase. I got half of my centerpieces for $150. The other half of my centerpieces I bought off of a Facebook wedding group. So all of my centerpieces cost me about 225, for 25 tables. I didn't think that was too expensive, considering what flower shops were quoting me.
  • I'm going for colorful! These are my colors and flowers! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards