Attire & Accessories Forum

The crazy what should I wear to your wedding questions...

I know, it' a thing I see people posting about it all the time... But I guess I thought it wouldn't happen to me, I mean we are all adults we have all been to weddings but... I guess some people do really have difficulty dressing themselves.

So my FSMIL asks... "What should I wear to your wedding." Me: "What ever you are comfortable in." Her: "Well I'm not going to wear my house dress!"

Then she says, "Hats, what about hats are we doing hats?" WTF is that even a thing? "No we are not doing hats, but feel free to wear one if you like."

SMH over here I don't even have the words.

Re: The crazy what should I wear to your wedding questions...

• I must have had seven people ask me about clothing... And not just ask but harp on me. I finally this one distant cousin after the fifth phone call..."if you have a sundress, you could wear that. If you hAve a pantsuit, you could wear thAt. If you have a cocktail dress, that would be fine too. I plan on wearing a wedding dress."
    I think so many people dictate what to wear on invitations that it has left people clueless on how to dress for an event.
  • I'm surprised I haven't gotten more questions about attire for my wedding. We put a note on our website because we're having an indoor/outdoor thing and I'd rather have people be comfortable and it could be quite hot. The last wedding I went to I did try on a bunch of pictures and texted a friend (NOT the bride) for advice because my dress was really bright and I was paranoid it was inappropriate. I showed up and there were tons of other women in bright dresses so I was worried over nothing. But just think if you were doing black toe or something and they showed up underdressed! They would probably be self conscious about it even if you didn't notice. I don't know I'm sort of just rambling because I understand both sides of this one!
  • Yikes black TIE not black toe lol
  • I must have had seven people ask me about clothing... And not just ask but harp on me. I finally this one distant cousin after the fifth phone call..."if you have a sundress, you could wear that. If you hAve a pantsuit, you could wear thAt. If you have a cocktail dress, that would be fine too. I plan on wearing a wedding dress."
    I think so many people dictate what to wear on invitations that it has left people clueless on how to dress for an event.

I just laughed out loud! I've had people ask me too. I really couldn't care less what you wear, right now my focus is on what I'm going to be wearing! Our ceremony will be outside in June and on grass so I'm just telling people to be comfortable. Besides, we're only having 11 guests, all immediate family, so no one is going to care what you wear!
  • CJandRyan said:

I must have had seven people ask me about clothing... And not just ask but harp on me. I finally this one distant cousin after the fifth phone call..."if you have a sundress, you could wear that. If you hAve a pantsuit, you could wear thAt. If you have a cocktail dress, that would be fine too. I plan on wearing a wedding dress."

I just laughed out loud! I've had people ask me too. I really couldn't care less what you wear, right now my focus is on what I'm going to be wearing! Our ceremony will be outside in June and on grass so I'm just telling people to be comfortable. Besides, we're only having 11 guests, all immediate family, so no one is going to care what you wear!

That's pretty much what I said too... FI will be in a tux, I'll be in a gown... Wear what you are comfortable in... I'm still flabbergasted that she thought that meant her "house dress!"

• i had that question asked about my rehearsal bm wanted to know what the dress code was no bare shoulders at my church so i let them know anything but tank tops but they can change after and go to dinner wearing whatever top they want 
  • Clothes, tell them you would prefer clothes. Unless you are getting married at a nudist colony?
  • I typically responded with "Well, I'll be wearing a gown, and my future-husband will be in a tux. Haha. From talking to people so far I expect men will be wearing suits and ties, maybe an occasional tux, and women either cocktail dresses or long dresses. I definitely have some friends I know are planning to wear long dresses, so you wouldn't be out of place if that's what you were thinking. But I'm sure whatever you have is fine! Can't wait to see you there!". 
  • Oh yeah this has been happening a lot to me lately. I usually tell them to wear whatever they'd like and then tell them what my fiance and I will be wearing so they get an idea of the formality of our attire. But most people want to hear more so I try to indulge them. I don't want them to feel pressured to wear something just to please me, but I understand that feeling of being a guest who is uncertain about what is appropriate.
  • I'm ok with this question! I'm highly anal, so if I could pick out my guests outfits, I totally would. But ain't nobody got time for that, haha
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards