Snarky Brides

Wedding Burnout

I have enjoyed planning my wedding, but I am getting a little burnt out on it sometimes. Just want to vent. 

When I call my mom, it's all wedding for the whole call, which is always an hour or longer. I barely even talk to my dad anymore because these calls are just all wedding. There is just so much to think about. 

At work, instead of the usual chit-chat, people are like. "how's the wedding planning going? Do you have your dress/shoes/bridesmaids/food?

It's just so much! Does anyone else get burned out on it all? It makes me feel guilty for being ungrateful. 

Re: Wedding Burnout

• Change the conversation. Say, "it's going great, rain this weekend?" Rinse and repeat. Don't offer any details, keep it short, or jump into a story completely un-wedding related.
  • I have enjoyed planning my wedding, but I am getting a little burnt out on it sometimes. Just want to vent. 

When I call my mom, it's all wedding for the whole call, which is always an hour or longer. I barely even talk to my dad anymore because these calls are just all wedding. There is just so much to think about. 

At work, instead of the usual chit-chat, people are like. "how's the wedding planning going? Do you have your dress/shoes/bridesmaids/food?

It's just so much! Does anyone else get burned out on it all? It makes me feel guilty for being ungrateful. 

"Hey mom, I'm kind of sick of thinking about the wedding - it's exciting that I get to marry FI, but I'd like to think that I have other things going on in my life besides party planning, and I know you have other stuff going on too. What kinds of stuff have you [and dad] been up to lately?"

And then make sure that's true - go do things that are totally unrelated to the wedding.

Acquaintances bring up my pregnancy pretty consistently - it's just a thing they know is going on with me, and so they use that as their conversational opener. I'm sure most of them would be happy to talk about something else if I changed the subject. Bring up the "usual chit-chat" you mentioned.

• Yeah, just change the subject. A few times I straight up told people I was taking a break from all wedding talk. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I had the same thing happen to me pretty regularly. With my nearest and dearest I would be quite blunt: "I'm burnt out on the wedding talk - can we please not mentioned the W word today?" And then I would start asking questions about things in their lives to get the ball rolling. Without other people I would do as PPs said and give a brief, "Wedding planning is going well, thanks. So what's new with you?" People tend to get the hint. Those that didn't? "No, we haven't decided on X yet. Sorry, I have to go do Y. Bye!"
  • I would tell people flat out: "I will discuss the wedding for exactly 10 minutes. Then I'm moving the conversation." It gives them an expectation and you the peace of mind of knowing 10 minutes isn't an hour :) Then when that 10 minutes is up...

"Alright, enough wedding talk. How's the..." and move on. If they try to circle back around, I usually used humor: "You trixie minx. You're not going to get me back into talking about the wedding..."

• UGH yes. I'm so burnt out by all the details. We had our details meeting yesterday and my head feels about to explode :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our pastor gave us "homework" to have one date night a week where there is NO wedding talk at all. At first it was kind of hard because we have so much to plan together, but now it's really a welcomed break from this life-consuming event. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards