Attire & Accessories Forum

eBay wedding dress

I am wondering whether to risk buying a wedding dress from eBay.

I have looked a numerous sellers and understand I should only purchase from sellers with 97%+ positive feedback, but I am wondering if anyone has any positive experiences with buying an eBay wedding dress?

Re: eBay wedding dress

• Ebay does not sell wedding dresses - or anything else.  They do post ads for sellers who USE Ebay as their selling medium.  You would not be buying from Ebay.  You would be buying from one of the thousands of sellers who use Ebay.  Some sellers are reputable.  Some are not.

I never recommend buying something as important as a wedding dress without trying it on first in person.  You cannot possibly judge a dress by a photo.  Most Ebay sales are final.

Sellers from southeast Asia are notorious for selling poor quality goods.  If you are buying a previously worn dress from a known designer, that is probably safe - UNLESS it comes from China, Malaysia or Indonesia!

Check out safe USA sites like David's Bridal.  There are also discount ordering sites in the USA, like Pearl's Place that only sell authentic gowns.  Have you tried on gowns in a shop yet?

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I am wondering whether to risk buying a wedding dress from eBay.

I have looked a numerous sellers and understand I should only purchase from sellers with 97%+ positive feedback, but I am wondering if anyone has any positive experiences with buying an eBay wedding dress?

I have. We bought a 1955 vintage dress for my daughter. I checked out the seller, made sure that they were located here in the states, that they'd been an established seller for several years. Make sure you're buying from a person, and not a company. Chinese knock off sites will often open ebay accounts, and close them when the bad reviews start coming.
    In addition, I emailed the seller, and asked for additional measurements and information, and specific photographs (inside bodice seams, etc.) and established that I was dealing with a courteous, professional person who knew vintage clothes. I paid extra to make sure the dress was shipped insured, and to be delivered only with a signature. 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited May 2015
    I have and so have members of my family.

My sister bought a new with tags formal gown where shipping cost more than the dress.  It was about 20 percent of the price on the tag.

I also bought a formal gown that was used and it was great.  Still have it actually.

Neither were from Chinese knockoff sites.

My mom just bought a dress for my sister from a knockoff Chinese seller through ebay.  My mom said she was nervous about doing it, but the dress ended up just fine.  I wouldn't risk it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards