Attire & Accessories Forum

To Purse or Not to Purse?

I'm sure a lot of you brides to be, or newly weds can relate that expenses add up quick! I found a purse that I like for the wedding that is about $50, so while it's not breaking the bank, I'm not sure if I should just use a clutch I already have. I don't have anything super bridal- but I have a few silver, black, neutral enough kind of evening bags.

So did you buy a purse? Did you find you even used it? If you didn't, do you wish you did?

Re: To Purse or Not to Purse?

• cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I've been pretty modest budget wise in my wedding, a lot of goodwill stuff (vases) and just scaled back in general so I did make a bit of a splurge on a clutch (for me). I'm getting a clutch from rent the runway, so it's a good compromise! Still more than I would usually ever pay for a bag for one night, but it's kitchsy and I love it.
  • Honestly, I would use what you already have.  I did.  Will you be carrying it up the aisle? If you are, I would maybe spend money on something that matches.  If not, it shouldn't matter.
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I'd use one that I thought for sure "went" with my dress, and if none I owned did I would look for a  cheap clutch somewhere.  
  • I'm using a 6 dollar clutch my mom found at Payless. It will hold my makeup and sit at my table waiting for touch ups.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I wasn't sure if I would need anything or not so I bought a $7 clutch at Charming Charlie's in case I decide to take make up or something with me at the reception. 
  • edited May 2015
    I didn't use a clutch at all. All I had on me (ETA and by "on me," I mean left at my seat) was my cell phone to keep an eye on the time; I left my hotel key and lip gloss in the bridal room (aka locker dressing room, we were at a golf club) with the rest of my things.

• Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted to carry something around in my hand at my wedding. One BM had my phone and the rest of my "necessities" were in a makeup bag in the venue's dressing room. I didn't find myself needing anything except a lipstick touch up between the ceremony and reception.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I brought my regular purse to the wedding (my sister stashed it somewhere) and I never even touched it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I didn't have anything with me at all. I didn't need to. I sent H to the hotel with my overnight bag that morning and I had a few things in a smaller bag plus my salon gave me a little goodie bag of spare lipgloss and stuff that I might need later that day. I wasn't carrying a purse up the aisle and I certainly didn't need to carry one around the reception with me so it seemed extremely superfluous. Our venue had a separate "getting ready" area just for me so everything stayed up there until it was time to leave.

• cgss11 said:

I've been pretty modest budget wise in my wedding, a lot of goodwill stuff (vases) and just scaled back in general so I did make a bit of a splurge on a clutch (for me). I'm getting a clutch from rent the runway, so it's a good compromise! Still more than I would usually ever pay for a bag for one night, but it's kitchsy and I love it.

I love this one!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I plan on taking the purse below with me but who knows if I will actually use it. If FI doesn't want to put the room key in his pocket I will bring this to the reception with lip gloss, room key, cell phones and just leave it on the back of a chair. I have a dad who likes all things antique and I found this in his shop so it was free.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I didn't take a purse at all. I had a stash of supplies & an emergency kit in a room, but no purse. There was really no need for one. 
  • Thanks for all the replies ladies! As much as I like the idea of a "bridal clutch" I also felt like I probably won't even touch it, and could just as well use a purse I already have since it'll probably end up under the table 99% of the time.

If I have a bit extra leading up, I might just say screw it and "splurge" but while things are tight now, I'll just bank on some neutral clutches I already have!
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    Late reply here... I used my mom's wedding purse as my "something borrowed". Like the others, it was in photos and then sat on the table all night. All of these suggestions are great. Good luck!
  • I was also debating whether to use a clutch or not. It's great to hear from those who have already had their weddings. Sounds like several of you did not even touch it the entire day. I'm guessing I will be too busy to think about touching up my lipstick! From this discussion I think I will forgo the purse on my wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a clutch my mom gave me, that her mom gave her on her wedding day :)  It stayed under my table the entire night... so I am super glad I did not buy anything new!

Anniversary
  • vmj23vmj23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I borrowed one from a friend, because I didn't have one...glad I didn't waste money on one.  Honestly, I had no idea where it even was the entire night.  A family member had taken it for me when we went for photo's.  At some point I got it back but never used a thing in it other then while in the limo to the church and reception to touch up lipstick. 
  • I didn't use a purse at all on my wedding day.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I didn't have a purse.  Our venue had a bridal suite, so I kept a bag in there and just went back there if I needed anything.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    I didn't have a purse.  Our venue had a bridal suite, so I kept a bag in there and just went back there if I needed anything.
    This i think it will be too much of a hastle so i wont carry one.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

Why do you need a clutch? Where will you put it for the ceremony and reception? I just left everything in the bridal suite (mine was all at one venue) but I'd have it locked up in a car or something if I didn't have a bridal suite or changing area. I didn't touch my phone from the time we started pictures until we left for the night.  didn't need it, didn't miss it.

• kvruns said:

Why do you need a clutch? Where will you put it for the ceremony and reception? I just left everything in the bridal suite (mine was all at one venue) but I'd have it locked up in a car or something if I didn't have a bridal suite or changing area. I didn't touch my phone from the time we started pictures until we left for the night.  didn't need it, didn't miss it.

All of this.  Especially the bolded.

• I'm not buying a purse because I think it's a waste of money.  I don't anticipate needing anything on the day of the wedding that would require I have a purse.   I am going to have a tote bag with extra makeup, deodorant, money, I.D., and other essentials.  We are taking a limo to the church, and then to the reception.  I'll bring the tote into the limo and then ask my parents to hold it in their car at the reception.  If I need anything, I'll just have to get it out of the car.
  • edited June 2015
    I didn't touch my purse the entire evening.  We had a suite (private room) at the venue where all the bridesmaids & I kept our stuff.  I was never once seen with/photographed with the purse nor did I need it at all.  It was packed in a box by the staff and sent to the hotel with us.  I grabbed it before not going out.

My advice is to save your $ on something you will use that day...like waterproof mascara and a really nice long-wear lipstick!  Or shoes, of course, my personal vice!
  • I'd skip it. I didn't touch my phone or anything else that I would've put in a clutch once we got to the venue. Bring a bag of emergency items such as deodorant and such and then leave it in the bridal room so it's accessible if needed.
  • I am a purse girl - I never go anywhere without my purse! I knew I would want a clutch for the wedding. I plan to leave it at the sweetheart table with some lipstick and chapstick (2 other things I can't go without!). I didn't want to make my bridesmaids responsible for carrying anything extra and trying to track them down during the reception if I need something. I wanted something that would coordinate with my dress, so I went with an ivory satin clutch. I found mine for less than $10 on 6pm.com!
  • I bought a $60 clutch to use on my wedding day. 100% worth it - I was able to have my cell phone, lipstick, license. I had it near me at the reception. I'm so glad I did. I didn't want to use one I already had - now when I use it for date night I get to say it was my wedding clutch.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards