DIY Wedding Forum

Oil Lamp Centerpieces

For all of you creative minds out there I need some help so I can get an idea of numbers. I have access to a LOT of antique oil lamps and I want to use them in the centerpieces. I need to give my Dad an idea of how many I need and sizes, he has everything from the taller table lamps to the small ones that have a little handle to carry. 

I am debating between doing a cluster of 3 on a table with some flowers, or just using one per table with flowers. OR should I plan on a mixture of both? I have put a picture below of the type of lamps I am talking about, and yes I got the OK from the venue to light them.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Oil Lamp Centerpieces

• What size tables are you having? For larger tables (like a 60" round) I'd say do three with flowers, for smaller round tables or rectangular tables just one with flowers.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Thanks! They are all 60" round tables and we are estimating that we will have ~19 of them. Number wise either is doable (plenty of lamps) but I was worried about it being too much when they are all lit, but I also might be over thinking this.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • blabla89blabla89 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015

Thanks! They are all 60" round tables and we are estimating that we will have ~19 of them. Number wise either is doable (plenty of lamps) but I was worried about it being too much when they are all lit, but I also might be over thinking this.

I think they'd look perfectly pretty even if they aren't lit. They do burn brighter than votive candles, so it would be a lot of light.

ETA: one other consideration is whether they would need to be tended if they're lit. Like turning up the wick or filling the oil.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

Thanks! They are all 60" round tables and we are estimating that we will have ~19 of them. Number wise either is doable (plenty of lamps) but I was worried about it being too much when they are all lit, but I also might be over thinking this.

I think they'd look perfectly pretty even if they aren't lit. They do burn brighter than votive candles, so it would be a lot of light.

ETA: one other consideration is whether they would need to be tended if they're lit. Like turning up the wick or filling the oil.
    Yes, there are a lot of things to think about with them, even transportation to the venue (we live 8hrs away). Dad is all over the logistics of it and once I figure out how many we need we will start that process. They are all antique so some may need new burners and we will need to order different size wicks. I'm lucky to have an expert on hand! 

He also has a lot of the ones pictured below that I might bring into the ceremony area (not sure if I will light them or just use them as a pretty decoration). We will have to have a big cleaning party because none of this is the new stuff, it's straight up old! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our venue actually has oil lamps available for us to use for free, so we're using them! I have no idea how big the tables are but they seat 8 comfortably/10 squishy. To get an idea of what we're doing space wise, we're just doing one lantern, and then our florist is doing a low wooden box with flowers and three votive candles to tie it all together.... Then we have a table number. 

Not sure if ANY of that is helpful but bottom line, I think they're awesome centerpieces!
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I would definitely do a run through before you commit. These give off quite a bit of light and heat. I have never used three together (which sounds lovely) but trying out a mock up can't hurt. Include the flowers too so you can check out if the heat causes browning, shriveling, dropping petals etc.

• I'm thinking 3 would be incredibly bright and uncomfortable to the eye.  I would do one per table.
  • Thanks everyone, after the holiday weekend I'm going to go grab a couple of them and will post some pictures to see what you think!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2015
    If your table size allows, I would mix it up.  A single bigger on a table.  Several smaller ones on another.  I would be fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards