Chit Chat
Options

Oh good, my 2 week before wedding drama is in! **UPDATE***

larrygagalarrygaga member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited May 2015 in Chit Chat
I was waiting for something to happen, everything else was going too well. I'm not used to my life working out well! It's good to be comfortable. 

My hall is up 1 flight of stairs. Cool. When I rented the hall, I was told there was an elevator so I didn't worry about people getting up the stairs. I have some elderly AND disabled guests. But cool, there's an elevator, right?

The owner contacts me yesterday, through email, and with a little frowny sad face emote she writes that a DJ put too much weight on her elevator without her permission, broke the elevator and now it won't be repaired in time because it's too old to be repaired or some stupid shit like that.

No solution to the problem. Just a big bomb drop and then she wants to talk about meeting for me to make my final payment???

I am so angry and stressed out I actually had a panic attack last night. This is just icing on the cake. I am currently battling my stupid ass school with school things that are not my fault, I got my foot ran over accidentally by an electric wheelchair at work yesterday (I'm okay, just cranky and sore), I dropped my phone and now the screen is fucked up, my nursing home is close to closing and so I'm worried about losing my job. I lost control and had a panic attack last night, and now I just need to vent and have someone tell me it will be alright. As FI said "it was a perfect storm of bullshit".

I started like hyperventilating and I knew what it was, I never had one before but I study mental health so it's kinda interesting to be on the other side of it. Neat experience when you see it all the time but never had one. I don't really remember dropping my phone I just laid on the bed and sobbed way harder than I ever had before. I also had heart palpitations that I usually get when I get really stressed out. It took about an hour to stop freaking out and to get my body back under control, and after I was so, so tired. Later last night when I calmed down, I skyped my FI, ate some dinner, took a few motrins and passed out for like 14 hours. I feel way, way better today, although I have some anxiety still about everything going on. That's not going away anytime soon.

Anyway, thankfully FMIL stepped up and offered to take this situation off my hands. She is contacting the owner to talk about options, and to gently remind the owner that it's illegal not to have a safe way for the disabled to get in and out of buildings. I am going to just stay out of it for now. She's helping to pay so she has just as much weight on things as I do. She also handles confrontation really well. I can't fight every single battle at once, so it's a big relief to have this off my shoulders. 

The options we came up with just to get us through our wedding are to either give us a STEEP ass discount for the inconvenience this causes us (doesn't solve the problem, but it makes me feel less shitty), for her to get a stair lift or something, OR for her to find us another venue right the fuck now. Thank goodness I have been contacted by several of my disabled loved ones who know it's not my fault and are being very kind and supportive.

Sometimes I just want to run away and be some weird floozy with no worries in like cancun or something. 

My FI can't even do anything, he's on a business trip! UGH

I am going to have like 90 margaritas this weekend, fitting into my dress be damned. 

TDLR; Had an interesting first time experience with a panic attack, my venue is discriminatory against disabled people. I am about to become a drunk that takes sleep medication for longer than the recommended time. Is my life even real?

UPDATE: My FMIL bullied the venue owner into fixing it. The solution was to move the reception to the B&B where we are having the ceremony. I am happy with this solution, I suppose. There are pros and cons. The biggest con is the weather in Michigan is so hard to predict. If it rains I swear I'll cry. I guess we could get some cool photos.

The owner rented some tents. The ceremony chairs gets cleared out and then it's just this lovely little patio with lights hanging over it. The bar is right off the side. I asked her a million and one questions about how this all will play out, so I think it will work.

The backyard of that place is really beautiful. It's a garden with a lovely gazebo and bar, with a river even! It's really grown in and why I based my entire wedding on garden flowers and teacups. 

I'm going to have to find a sunscreen dispenser that is really cute. People might have to sit at their tables to watch us get married. I will make the best of it.

She throws weddings back there all the time, I was just worried I would have too many guests to fit. Well I planned for 200, got 130. I don't remember what her backyard cut off was, but I know she said she had a 120 person wedding back there. 

My officiant can make an announcement at the end of the ceremony.

Thank god I have a good head on my shoulders and am a laid back bride, right? I am actually loving the idea of this happening. 

Any suggestions for an outdoor reception? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Oh good, my 2 week before wedding drama is in! **UPDATE***

• Options
    larrygaga said:

I was waiting for something to happen, everything else was going too well. I'm not used to my life working out well! It's good to be comfortable. 

My hall is up 1 flight of stairs. Cool. When I rented the hall, I was told there was an elevator so I didn't worry about people getting up the stairs. I have some elderly AND disabled guests. But cool, there's an elevator, right?

The owner contacts me yesterday, through email, and with a little frowny sad face emote she writes that a DJ put too much weight on her elevator without her permission, broke the elevator and now it won't be repaired in time because it's too old to be repaired or some stupid shit like that.

No solution to the problem. Just a big bomb drop and then she wants to talk about meeting for me to make my final payment???

I am so angry and stressed out I actually had a panic attack last night. This is just icing on the cake. I am currently battling my stupid ass school with school things that are not my fault, I got my foot ran over accidentally by an electric wheelchair at work yesterday (I'm okay, just cranky and sore), I dropped my phone and now the screen is fucked up, my nursing home is close to closing and so I'm worried about losing my job. I lost control and had a panic attack last night, and now I just need to vent and have someone tell me it will be alright. As FI said "it was a perfect storm of bullshit".

I started like hyperventilating and I knew what it was, I never had one before but I study mental health so it's kinda interesting to be on the other side of it. Neat experience when you see it all the time but never had one. I don't really remember dropping my phone I just laid on the bed and sobbed way harder than I ever had before. I also had heart palpitations that I usually get when I get really stressed out. It took about an hour to stop freaking out and to get my body back under control, and after I was so, so tired. Later last night when I calmed down, I skyped my FI, ate some dinner, took a few motrins and passed out for like 14 hours. I feel way, way better today, although I have some anxiety still about everything going on. That's not going away anytime soon.

Anyway, thankfully FMIL stepped up and offered to take this situation off my hands. She is contacting the owner to talk about options, and to gently remind the owner that it's illegal not to have a safe way for the disabled to get in and out of buildings. I am going to just stay out of it for now. She's helping to pay so she has just as much weight on things as I do. She also handles confrontation really well. I can't fight every single battle at once, so it's a big relief to have this off my shoulders. 

The options we came up with just to get us through our wedding are to either give us a STEEP ass discount for the inconvenience this causes us (doesn't solve the problem, but it makes me feel less shitty), for her to get a stair lift or something, OR for her to find us another venue right the fuck now. Thank goodness I have been contacted by several of my disabled loved ones who know it's not my fault and are being very kind and supportive.

Sometimes I just want to run away and be some weird floozy with no worries in like cancun or something. 

My FI can't even do anything, he's on a business trip! UGH

I am going to have like 90 margaritas this weekend, fitting into my dress be damned. 

TDLR; Had an interesting first time experience with a panic attack, my venue is discriminatory against disabled people. I am about to become a drunk that takes sleep medication for longer than the recommended time. Is my life even real?

Ugh. All of that just plain sucks. However, yay for FMIL and the bolded. Hopefully she is able to work some magic for you.

Panic attacks are 0 fun. Actually, less than 0 fun. I've only had more minor ones myself, and none for the last couple of years, but I feel for you. Here's a cute, fluffy hug to cheer you up.

• Options
    Deep breath! I'm so sorry you got hit by that shitstorm, but I'm so glad to hear that your FMIL is taking the reins on the venue issue. You're totally right; it's illegal for them to do that. This isn't your problem (ok I know really it is and I totally understand you being upset and worried); this is the venue manager's problem. She is required to fucking fix it. 

Hugs and tequila to you. It will be ok! 

[Warning, the story below is kind of long so feel free to skip it, but it may help]: 

FWIW, I found out the morning before my wedding that the street on which we rented a house was being shut down on my wedding day for a parade. We wouldn't be able to get cars in or out, and the trolley wouldn't be able to come pick us up like we planned, so getting to the venue was going to be a bit more difficult and a bit more complicated. It was really stressful to get that info out of nowhere (I had googled events and never saw anything about any damn parade on my wedding weekend!) but ok. 

Well then SIL googles this parade and we find out it not only goes through the town where our rental house is but also goes through the town next door where our damn hotel block is, and 250,000 people are in attendance each year. 250,000!!!!! There was my panic attack. 

I had horrible mental images of being stuck in traffic all day, our guests not being able to get to the venue, all the streets shut down and crammed with tourists. I felt way worse when I work up at dawn on my wedding day to the sound of hammering and saws; people were putting together fucking parade floats on our front lawn. The entire street in front of our house was already in total chaos and it got worse throughout the morning. The whole time I was getting ready, I had a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and I was trying not to totally hyperventilate. 

We called the trolley and she said she'd pick us up one street over since ours was shut down. She ended up being about a half hour late thanks to parade traffic, so we ended up being about an hour late to go set up the venue. We hauled all our dresses and wedding crap with us for the walk over to our pick-up site, but that ended up being the worst of it. No one else was late. No guests were late. No one got stuck in traffic. No one even knew the parade was going on besides the WP and H's family. And we made a bunch of jokes about how the parade was all for us cuz we're such a big deal lol. 

So what I thought would be a huge disaster ended up being totally fine, and kind of made a cool memory for us. 

I know the elevator being broken is way different. Disabled and elderly people being forced to use stairs is NOT a cool memory or funny in any way, but as I said, the venue manager is required to fix this. The point of my story is that the things that seem like they will be a total disaster sometimes end up having no impact at all. It will get fixed, there is a solution, it will be ok! 
  • Options
    falsarafalsara member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    I'm sorry about the shit storm that just blew up.  Luckily your FMIL has the venue issue under control.  It's great that she's willing to step up and handle it so that you can focus on other things. 

Panic attacks suck, you have a great attitude about experiencing one, and it's cool that you feel like learned some more about them .  

Have all the margaritas!  I'm sure with the stress you're under you need them.  You'll look beautiful no matter what. 

Puppy GIFS!!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Ohhhh lady. I'm so sorry, but I'm glad your FMIL is taking the reigns on this! If coconut shrimp would help you know how to find me. (((HUGS)))

• Options
    Oh no!! The elevator broke during my sister's reception and the fire dept had to come and carry 2 disabled guests up the stairs. So a broken elevator would be a deal breaker for me. If they couldn't fix it in time I would demand a refund and have a backyard BBQ rather than risk embarrassing my guests. Our family friend was mortified to be lifted out on a back board from he reception. It was a disaster. 

They have plenty of time to get it fixed, they might have pay extra, but that's their problem, not yours.

I hope it all works out asap!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Oh yeah...panic attacks...those fucking suck.

But here's to your FMIL for taking over this bullshit. Hopefully the oh so gental reminder about disabled guests will help the fucking owner figure some shit out.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Two weeks should be enough time for your venue to fix the elevator, and if they can't then they need to come up with a solution.  I like your chair lift idea.  Perhaps ramps could be placed at other entrances in order to have wheelchair access and easier access for the older folks?

I don't think 2 weeks is enough time to realistically move venues and line up entirely new accommodations for venue, catering, etc.

Good luck Larry!  I'm sure it will all work out fine, and good on your FMIL for handling the venue for you!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

Oh no!! The elevator broke during my sister's reception and the fire dept had to come and carry 2 disabled guests up the stairs. So a broken elevator would be a deal breaker for me. If they couldn't fix it in time I would demand a refund and have a backyard BBQ rather than risk embarrassing my guests. Our family friend was mortified to be lifted out on a back board from he reception. It was a disaster. 

They have plenty of time to get it fixed, they might have pay extra, but that's their problem, not yours.

I hope it all works out asap!
    Well, I don't like the backboard idea, but I'm not completely against being carried by a fireman, or hell, even a strong firelady!
  • Options
    Man, that sucks. Nicely handled though!

I recommend reading the Love Advice thread over and over and over until you've laughed so hard that your eyes are bloodshot. It certainly made me feel better after my week-before-the-wedding freakout relating to my asshat future in-laws.
  • Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    yeah for FMIL stepping in.  I hope they can figure something out.  At a friend's wedding a couple of years ago I remember there was a back log to get in because they were trying to get some elderly guests up the stairs.  They would have to have an elevator, so I'm not sure why stairs were being used although maybe the elevator was further away in the building.  Either way not a good way for people to have to go at all
  • Options
    How is your contract written?  What does it say as far as the responsibilities and liabilities of your venue?  Is there a Force Majeure section in your contract?

Depending on what is stated in your contract, you may be able to cancel your event W/O being responsible for the entire agreed and signed contractual amount.  Being two weeks out, if you were throwing your reception at my venue, and just decided to call off the wedding, as per my contract you'd owe the total amount for the reception.

The Force Majeure section in our contract stated that:

Both parties’ performance under this agreement is subject to Acts of God, war, government regulation, riots, disaster, terrorist attacks, strikes, curtailment of transportation facilities, or any other cause beyond the parties’ control, making it inadvisable (or unsafe), illegal or impossible to perform their obligations under this agreement: in the event, for whatever reason(s) twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the attendees are prevented or unreasonably delayed from attending the meeting in the specified time period; or any cause or reason beyond the control of either party that would make it inadvisable (or unsafe), illegal, or impossible for the *venue* to provide the facilities and services as stated in this agreement, or for client to hold the meeting as specified in the agreement. Either party may cancel the agreement for any one or more of such reasons upon written notice to the other.

I'm not a lawyer, but the elevator being broken means that your venue is no longer handicapped accessible, and that's a violation of the ADA.  So that might mean that it's illegal to host your event, and you might be able to just walk away from the contract. . . well, my contract.  I don't know how yours is set up.

Now, if all that were true, I'm also not sure that you could legally be awarded a refund for the amount you had paid to date.  And even if you entitled to a refund, you'd likely have to go to court to get it. . . which means it wouldn't happen in time for you to recoup those funds in time to change venues and hire new caterers, etc. if you needed to.

I'd keep pushing the venue to find a solution to the elevator issue, and I'd also have your FMIL or your FI take your contract to a lawyer and explain to them what's going on, to see what your options are.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options

How is your contract written?  What does it say as far as the responsibilities and liabilities of your venue?  Is there a Force Majeure section in your contract?

Depending on what is stated in your contract, you may be able to cancel your event W/O being responsible for the entire agreed and signed contractual amount.  Being two weeks out, if you were throwing your reception at my venue, and just decided to call off the wedding, as per my contract you'd owe the total amount for the reception.

The Force Majeure section in our contract stated that:

Both parties’ performance under this agreement is subject to Acts of God, war, government regulation, riots, disaster, terrorist attacks, strikes, curtailment of transportation facilities, or any other cause beyond the parties’ control, making it inadvisable (or unsafe), illegal or impossible to perform their obligations under this agreement: in the event, for whatever reason(s) twenty-five percent (25%) or more of the attendees are prevented or unreasonably delayed from attending the meeting in the specified time period; or any cause or reason beyond the control of either party that would make it inadvisable (or unsafe), illegal, or impossible for the *venue* to provide the facilities and services as stated in this agreement, or for client to hold the meeting as specified in the agreement. Either party may cancel the agreement for any one or more of such reasons upon written notice to the other.

I'm not a lawyer, but the elevator being broken means that your venue is no longer handicapped accessible, and that's a violation of the ADA.  So that might mean that it's illegal to host your event, and you might be able to just walk away from the contract. . . well, my contract.  I don't know how yours is set up.

Now, if all that were true, I'm also not sure that you could legally be awarded a refund for the amount you had paid to date.  And even if you entitled to a refund, you'd likely have to go to court to get it. . . which means it wouldn't happen in time for you to recoup those funds in time to change venues and hire new caterers, etc. if you needed to.

I'd keep pushing the venue to find a solution to the elevator issue, and I'd also have your FMIL or your FI take your contract to a lawyer and explain to them what's going on, to see what your options are.

While that is true, if the venue can prove they are making a reasonable attempt to fix the problem then it's not against the law. Things break.  Sometimes it takes time to fix.    All they have to do is provide documentation that service calls have been made, parts have been ordered, etc.

I would think 2 weeks would be enough time, but I don't know much about elevators.  Let alone what is broken and how fast parts and/or personal can get there to fix the issue.  Those things do not happen overnight.

That all said, it's a horrible situation to be in.  Explore all your options.   Take some deep breathes and have a glass or two of some wine.        

High five your MIL too.  She sounds like good people.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited June 2015
  • Options
    Well she told me that the elevator is too old to fix, and that her repairman won't do it. Which means the elevator is not even an option.

Another sweet thing that happened is I have no idea where the contract is. My FI likes to reorganize my things and hasn't emailed me back where he put it. Might have gone right into the garbage. I could choke someone right now. 

My FMIl and I both cited the ADA, and will get in touch with the local representative if she tries to fight it. Oh, believe me, you don't get run over by electric wheelchairs without knowing the rights that apply to them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I mean, they can't let the sit there, broken. The legally HAVE to be handicapped accessible. If they were unwilling to fix it, and take measures to find a proper solution, I would be citing the ADA and threatening to get them in serious legal trouble.

Not forever they can't, but they are allowed a reasonable amount of time to fix the situation.

Say the elevator is too old to fix, installing a new elevator is going to take more than 2 weeks.  It's not like you can run down to Home Depot to get a new one.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

I mean, they can't let the sit there, broken. The legally HAVE to be handicapped accessible. If they were unwilling to fix it, and take measures to find a proper solution, I would be citing the ADA and threatening to get them in serious legal trouble.

Not forever they can't, but they are allowed a reasonable amount of time to fix the situation.

Say the elevator is too old to fix, installing a new elevator is going to take more than 2 weeks.  It's not like you can run down to Home Depot to get a new one.   

This is true. They have a specific set time they are allowed to have elevators out of commission. However, my venue owner thinks she will never get it fixed. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Ugh, I'm sorry this happened! That is so frustrating.

Also don't you love it when people use sad face emoticons when delivering bad news? It totally doesn't make you want to throttle them anymore...

Good on your FMIL for stepping up. I'm no lawyer but hopefully they will legally get their asses kicked with this somehow.

Formerly martha1818

• Options
    larrygaga said:

lyndausvi said:

This is true. They have a specific set time they are allowed to have elevators out of commission. However, my venue owner thinks she will never get it fixed. 
    Well you are 2 weeks out.   It sounds like it will not be fixed for your own wedding.   That sucks big time.  Especially since you picked the location because it had an elevator.  

The question now becomes WHEN did it go out of commision.    If it happened a few days ago, then there is not much you can do. Although I would ask for a discount of somesort.

If it happened a month ago AND they are not working on getting it fixed then there is a problem.    

• Options
    larrygaga said:

Well she told me that the elevator is too old to fix, and that her repairman won't do it. Which means the elevator is not even an option.

Another sweet thing that happened is I have no idea where the contract is. My FI likes to reorganize my things and hasn't emailed me back where he put it. Might have gone right into the garbage. I could choke someone right now. 

My FMIl and I both cited the ADA, and will get in touch with the local representative if she tries to fight it. Oh, believe me, you don't get run over by electric wheelchairs without knowing the rights that apply to them.
    Can you ask your venue to email/fax you another copy of the contract under the guise that you just wanted to double check the final payment amount or something?

Then I'd take that contract to a lawyer and see what your options are.

Is there another entrance to the building, even a service entrance, that would somehow allow your disabled guests access to the hall w/o having to climb stairs?  Is there a service elevator that can be used?  If you have a DJ or caterers, they might also need elevator access for their equipment and food, so this issue could be bigger than just a few guests needing access. . . which that might further incentivize your venue to solve the issue.  I don't mean to sound like I'm downplaying the needs of your guests.

Is the venue going after the DJ that broke the elevator for damages?  Can you?

• Options
    lyndausvi said:

They've got options.

• Options

larrygaga said:

Can you ask your venue to email/fax you another copy of the contract under the guise that you just wanted to double check the final payment amount or something?

Is there another entrance to the building, even a service entrance, that would somehow allow your disabled guests access to the hall w/o having to climb stairs?  Is there a service elevator that can be used?  If you have a DJ or caterers, they might also need elevator access for their equipment and food, so this issue could be bigger than just a few guests needing access. . . which that might further incentivize your venue to solve the issue.  I don't mean to sound like I'm downplaying the needs of your guests.

I was about to post asking if there is a service elevator that could be used.     

• Options
    Oh, honey, I am so sorry! That is fucking awful. Kudos to your MIL for taking the reins. You've got the right idea--margaritas and delegation.

I know what you mean about being interested/on the other side of something. It's very weird, but kind of fascinating.

All will be well--worst-case scenario, you make the venue hire a bigass dude to carry everyone up the stairs:

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Ugh- sorry Larry. This is something I worry about too. Out venue was remodeled 6 years ago so maybe less likely we'll have problems but we also chose the place because we have at least a handful of guests who would need an elevator.

I really hope you get something worked out...
  • Options

lyndausvi said:

They've got options.

O RLY?

Do you have some sort of insider info? :-P

• Options
    Oh, honey, I am so sorry! That is fucking awful. Kudos to your MIL for taking the reins. You've got the right idea--margaritas and delegation.

I know what you mean about being interested/on the other side of something. It's very weird, but kind of fascinating.

All will be well--worst-case scenario, you make the venue hire a bigass dude to carry everyone up the stairs:

^^^I LOL'd.

Larry:

It will all be fine. Your FMIL will work it out, or tear the venue a new one in the process. I am SO SORRY they turned into a shitstick, and it's entirely on them to get this mess straightened out. There has got to be a second elevator somewhere. Service elevator or something. 

I will say that in the multiple replanning processes I've gone through, I've called a lot of places, and discovered that quite a few venues were not accessible in their rented space. Their main areas were ADA compliant, but their space for private parties was not. There must be loopholes or something in the ADA for them to get away with it. (Also, the building I work in is only accessible on the ground floor, where I work. The attorneys upstairs have to meet a few of their clients in our meeting spaces because of it.)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

Or, when FMIL calls to deal with the venue, have her demand a copy of the contract? That way they don't know you don't have one. 

I'm sure they're not supposed to give that out to someone whose name isn't on it, but when my mom got crazy about my wedding she went behind my back and called my vendors to get payment info and details, and not one vendor refused to give her info and show her/send her contracts, even though she wasn't on them. Her grand scheme was to try to pay for vendors since I wouldn't accept my parents' money for anything. But she got found out when she saw my number written on the florist's contract, thought it was the florist's number, and called ME saying "Hi this is Novella's mom and I need final payment info on her contract blah blah blah." Um nice try mom. When I told her it was me, she thought I was lying. AND I've had the same cell number for 13 years and she didn't recognize it. Anyway. 

She should be able to get a copy for you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards