Georgia-Atlanta

Food Crisis

Hello Ladies,

I am having a bit of a crisis. My wedding is in GA (in 3 weeks) and I am from Michigan. The readers digest version is that I was under the impression that my venue had a kitchen, which is does but it's a prep kitchen (so it doesn't have a stove), and I need a place to prepare my food. It's my families tradition that they prepare all the food for the reception. I was going to get it catered but they would prefer to cook. So whatever I'm letting them. But since we aren't from GA we have nowhere to prepare it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places that may allow me to just rent their kitchen in the Atlanta area?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Food Crisis

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Hello Ladies,

I am having a bit of a crisis. My wedding is in GA (in 3 weeks) and I am from Michigan. The readers digest version is that I was under the impression that my venue had a kitchen, which is does but it's a prep kitchen (so it doesn't have a stove), and I need a place to prepare my food. It's my families tradition that they prepare all the food for the reception. I was going to get it catered but they would prefer to cook. So whatever I'm letting them. But since we aren't from GA we have nowhere to prepare it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on places that may allow me to just rent their kitchen in the Atlanta area?

That is a huge oversight. I would start calling caters and tell your mom there is no way for her to prepare the cook.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I suggest you go to the Atlanta board.  This is more of an international board.

Good luck, sounds like it's going to be a mess.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Hello Ladies,

• lyndausvi said:

I suggest you go to the Atlanta board.  This is more of an international board.

Good luck, sounds like it's going to be a mess.

But seriously...if you originally wanted it catered, this sounds like your perfect excuse to get it catered now

• This has food poisoning written all over it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited May 2015
    I would say, being not-from-GA, that you'll be lucky to find a place that will let you rent their kitchen. On top of that, I'd be willing to bet my whole wedding budget that there is no way that anywhere with a rentable kitchen is going to allow any amateur cook to rent said kitchen, no matter how desperate that amateur is - it's too much liability. If I burn myself in my kitchen on my stove, it's my own damn fault. If I burn myself in someone else's kitchen on someone else's stove... well, I'm not going to sue, but that's not to say someone else wouldn't, and it's just too dangerous for a LOT of places to deal with.

Start calling caterers. It may not be what your family wants, but you have got zero choice at this point. The Atlanta board may be helpful on that front. 

Frankly, having family "cater" my wedding - even if they were insisting - sounds like an extra level of hell I would not need on my wedding day. Too many headaches, too many wrenches in too many gears. Even pre-FI, I'd have major food safety concerns. After FI, there's no way.

ETA: HOLY SHIT you're three weeks out. I missed that bit in the "I need a pro kitchen that will let amateurs rent it" bit.

I am so sorry, but you don't need to be on here asking for tips - you need to be on your phone. Try:
    - Barbecue places
    - Pizza places
    - Italian restaurants (particularly chains)
    - The Varsity might cater
    - I know KFC caters
    - Moe's Southwest or other Mexican restaurants
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Hello Ladies,

Sorry, I got nothing constructive.

Good luck hiring a caterer 3 weeks out or finding an industrial kitchen to rent.  Maybe you can see if you can have food delivered to your wedding or get food trucks to come out to your venue?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• This has food poisoning written all over it.

This. It's not worth the effort and stress you'd have to go through as it is, but it's EXTRA not worth the safety and well-being of you and your guests. This can seriously be dangerous. Just hire a caterer. 
  • I would call and local restaurant and see if they do catering.

Also, how did this not come up before?
  • KatWAGKatWAG member

Too bad Taco Bell's catering/ delivery services aren't nationwide yet.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, I don't know of many places that rent out kitchen space.    I know DH would never rent out his space.

Maybe try a church that has a hall?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

Yeah, I don't know of many places that rent out kitchen space.    I know DH would never rent out his space.

A lot of those don't allow people to use them, either, at least in my experience, unless you are on staff with the church. 
  • KatWAG said:

DOUBLE POST BECAUSE THERE IS TACO BELL DELIVERY?!

Dammit, Alabama, get with the times!
  • KatWAGKatWAG member

KatWAG said:

Sacramento. I am actually thrilled its not in Chicago, because I would gain 1000 pounds.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think you should take a shot of tequila and then start calling every business that makes food in that area. Hopefully you are having a small wedding.

Anniversary
  • lyndausvi said:

Yeah, I don't know of many places that rent out kitchen space.    I know DH would never rent out his space.

Based on watching Cupcake Wars and the food truck competition, it seems like in some of the bigger cities (NYC, SanFran) there are industrial kitchen spaces that can be rented for use that have all the correct certifications and meet all the required codes.

But these are public kitchens where the entire purpose is to rent to cooks who don't have their own, these aren't kitchens in established private restaurants or of private caterers.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• KatWAG said:

KatWAG said:

Sacramento. I am actually thrilled its not in Chicago, because I would gain 1000 pounds.
    SACRAMENTO HERE I COME.
  • I am moving this to the Atlanta board.
    *********************************************************************************

• lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Based on watching Cupcake Wars and the food truck competition, it seems like in some of the bigger cities (NYC, SanFran) there are industrial kitchen spaces that can be rented for use that have all the correct certifications and meet all the required codes.

But these are public kitchens where the entire purpose is to rent to cooks who don't have their own, these aren't kitchens in established private restaurants or of private caterers.

Even Atlanta have Shared kitchens or commissary kitchens. I know they have one-time use options.  I just do not know what their deal is when it comes to people like OP.  I would think to use those kitchens you need some sort of business license.

• lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Even Atlanta have Shared kitchens or commissary kitchens. I know they have one-time use options.  I just do not know what their deal is when it comes to people like OP.  I would think to use those kitchens you need some sort of business license.
    I definitely think it would have to be with a license of some sort. I cannot imagine the reward is great enough for the risk involved with allowing amateurs in a professional kitchen.
  • labrolabro member
    So I've never heard of any sort of shared kitchen or kitchen for rent in the Atlanta area. I really REALLY think you just need to drop this idea, no matter how much of a tradition it is in your family, and cater.

Some places that will probably have a fast response time and be able to work with your schedule -

'Cue barbecue restaurant (4 locations in the Atlanta area)
    Maggiano's
    Milton's Cuisine
    Da Vinci's Pizza (and their pizza is DELICIOUS!)
    Moe's
    Chipotle
    Rising Roll

• jakeiafjakeiaf member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Well thank you all for your suggestions. I'm sure you would be glad to know I did find somewhere to prepare my dinner for my guests. Contrary to popular belief food poisoning, a mess and disaster are all words that will not be attached to this wedding. Mostly because I do come from a  family of chef's, all of which are ServeSafe certified.  :) So I won't need pizza places to cater and I don't have to ditch my families "silly traditions". So while I appreciated all the sarcasm and snarky remarks, my problem was solved and my family will go home happy, fully and food poison free.

Thanks for all of your help!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards