Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Baby Shower Etiquette

So my sister has graciously offered to throw a baby shower for me.  She is very detail oriented so she is already trying to gather ideas.  She has asked me when I would like to have it in terms of a weekend that is easiest for me.

I am a teacher so I would love to have it in August this way I'm not going crazy at the beginning of the year trying to get situated at work and setting up a nursery.  Our goal is to have the nursery completed by July.  September is a crazy month with going back to work and we have a wedding in September as well.  I might also be switching classes so my weekends are going to be filled with lesson planning for a grade I've never taught.

Here's my dilemma.  In August I will be borderline into the 3rd trimester (I am due on Thanksgiving).  Do you think this is too early? I am obviously trying to avoid the holiday weekend and possible the weekend before because I know people plan vacations.  Thoughts?  
Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: NWR: Baby Shower Etiquette

• Options
    Why not  October?   It's after the hubub of the beginning of the school year and still a month before your due date?

I generally prefer baby showers closer to the due date if it's possible.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if I want it to be that close to the due date but it's a possibility. I also have to consider my sisters schedule as well.
    Anniversary

• Options
    ohmrs2014 said:

I'm not sure if I want it to be that close to the due date but it's a possibility. I also have to consider my sisters schedule as well.

Do you have any concerns in your pregnancy that would put a shower at 32-26 weeks an issue?
  • Options
    I guess it would be more of a comfort issue for me as well as making sure everything is organized and put away. I think it's just me over analyzing everything.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Yea, I agree you might be overthinking. October would be a great time for a baby shower! 

Example - I'm due in September and my baby shower is in August - a little less than 5 weeks before my due date. I've just accepted that I'm going to be massive, hot (because August), and probably uncomfortable. But it's the best time that works for the folks who offered to host it, so I'm going with the flow. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I mean, if I were attending I wouldn't necessarily mind August but it seems really early. Putting stuff away from the shower isn't likely to take you and your partner more than a couple hours.
  • Options
    ohmrs2014 said:

I guess it would be more of a comfort issue for me as well as making sure everything is organized and put away. I think it's just me over analyzing everything.

It won't take that long.   You'll put away the big stuff that baby won't even use right away (so the exersaucer, high chair and anything for a mobile baby that sits up) and then you'll wash the fabric items.   That won't take as long as you think.

I had my shower in mid October and I was due in early Dec.   It wasn't that big a deal to just add an extra load of laundry in here and there - and I did it while living in a home we were trying to stage and sell.   
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Unless you have medical reasons for avoiding a shower in October, I'd do it then.  When it comes to putting things away, I'd just do it in increments-whatever you can comfortably do at any given time. If necessary, get your husband/baby's father to help you put things away.

Or, I'd wait until after the baby's born and celebrate then (hopefully you will feel well enough).

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

Unless you have medical reasons for avoiding a shower in October, I'd do it then.  When it comes to putting things away, I'd just do it in increments-whatever you can comfortably do at any given time. If necessary, get your husband/baby's father to help you put things away.

Or, I'd wait until after the baby's born and celebrate then (hopefully you will feel well enough).

This is the norm in our circle of friends. That way people can meet the baby and the shower is not just about Mom.

We had planned my shower for when my son was going to be about 6 weeks old, he was born 3 weeks early. Babies have their own timelines, and people will tell you that you get a surge of energy at the end. I didn't, only because I wasn't sleeping. Do what you feel comfortable doing. I do agree that August is too early and many people may be on vacation.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input ladies! I'm thinking late September/early October. Hopefully my sisters schedule is open.
    Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards