Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Thank you notes?

I'm a thank you note sender as a general matter.  But recently, H & I threw a party, and instead of bringing a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer or a dessert, a few people brought us actual gifts for us (one took a cutting of her own geranium for us and put it, potted, in really pretty little birdcage, for example).

I'm torn... I was about to send thank you notes to those who gave us gifts for us, as opposed to consumables for the party, but then on second thought it seemed kind of like overkill... like the gifts were a thank you from them to us for inviting & hosting them, and so thanking them for a thank you would be silly.

Thoughts?
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West

Re: NWR: Thank you notes?

• Hm. I can see both sides of the coin on this since it would be a thank you for a thank you. But if your gut instinct says to send them a note, why not do it?
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I keep going back & forth.  Would I look appreciative or like a lunatic, is what it boils down to.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I don't think you'd look like a lunatic for sending them a thank-you note for the gifts.
  • If I received a thank you note for bringing something like the potted plant you described in your OP, I wouldn't thnk you're a lunatic. I would think that the potted plant brought you some joy and happiness and you wanted to express that. If I'd brought you a snack sized Mars bar and you sent me a thank you note I might think you're a little nutty, but not for what you've described.
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    edited May 2015
    OK, that actually made me laugh out loud.

And now I need a candy bar, damnit.
  • LD1970 said:

OK, that actually made me laugh out loud.

And now I need a candy bar, damnit.
    Me too! LOL I may have to go track down a Mars bar now.
  • I definitely wouldn't expect a thank you for that kind of gift, but I wouldn't think you were a lunatic, either. I would be pleasantly surprised and probably say something like "Oh my gosh, how sweet of LD1970!"
  • I wouldn't expect a thank you, but I can't ever see judging it or thinking you were nuts.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • LD1970LD1970 member
    Thanks, guys. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards