Honeymoon Discussions

Iceland!

We are going to Iceland for our honeymoon! I am so excited! People look at me strangely when I tell them that's where we're going, but I cannot wait. Only 2.5 weeks to go!!!! Anyone else going somewhere "unusual" (ie, not a beach) for their honeymoon?

Re: Iceland!

• Woohoo! Exciting!  It'll be interesting because their days are quite long at this time of year!  We went to Iceland a few years ago in November, and daylight was only about 10:30am-3:30pm.  I had the worst jet lag on that trip and I know a good part of it was because of the lack of daylight.  The Blue Lagoon was my favorite!

For our honeymoon, we did a beach location - Moorea and Bora Bora.  
  • We had a great time in Iceland.  Several of us have been there if you need ideas.  

We did a Med cruise for our HM, so we got to go to Israel, Egypt and Turkey along with a few other countries.  

• @WinstonsGirl I'd love to hear any ideas you have, thanks! I think when we are there the sun rises around 3AM and sets around 11:45PM - so hopefully we'll have blackout curtains ;)
  • Yup, we were the in July, but we also live pretty far north in Canada, so it wasn't new for us.  

Anyway, our favourite was diving the Silfra divide.  It's the continental divide between Europe and North America.  You can snorkel the area too, if you don't dive.  The dive shop organize the tours.  It was stunning, the colours you see.  No marine life though, but you can touch both walls in places.  

You have to do the Blue Lagoon, though it is expensive.  We rented a car and drove the Golden Circle tour.  It was pretty easy to do, but you can also do tours as well.  We stayed based out of Reykjavik, so didn't get to explore the far side of the island.  

Grey Line has a shop on the main corner of a major road in Reykjavik (you can't miss it) and they do tons of tours.  I'm sure you could check out their website too.  That will have lots of ideas on what to see.  We just stopped there and picked 1-2 we wanted to do as well.   

• We are doing Blue Lagoon and I think a golden circle tour as well. We also have whale and puffin watching set up which I'm really excited about! We don't dive but I may look into the snorkeling. I also want to relax some on our honeymoon lol. Thanks for the tips...I'll definitely check out the grey line place! We are from the Southern US so it's going to be a bit of a change with the sun! I actually think that part will be pretty cool...and hopefully it being light in the mornings will help with the jet lag :)
  • You will love it- I just went in March so the sun schedule was normal, but it was awesome!!! Definitely Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle Tour. We ate at a nice restaurant for my birthday called Fish Market (it's like #2 on trip advisor also called Fisakmarkaderra or something like that). Best salmon of my life! And you have to go to the little hot dog stand where Bill Clinton ate- it's by the harbor across from the glass Harpa building.

• jenna8984 said:

You will love it- I just went in March so the sun schedule was normal, but it was awesome!!! Definitely Blue Lagoon and Golden Circle Tour. We ate at a nice restaurant for my birthday called Fish Market (it's like #2 on trip advisor also called Fisakmarkaderra or something like that). Best salmon of my life! And you have to go to the little hot dog stand where Bill Clinton ate- it's by the harbor across from the glass Harpa building.

Yuck, I hated that place.  But in fairness, my DH loved it!  

I had the best soup of my life at some cafe in Reykjavik.  I mean, it sounds so silly to say that....it's just soup, but I still talk about it to this day. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards