Budget Weddings Forum

Outdoor Wedding on a Budget

agalvan101agalvan101 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited May 2015 in Budget Weddings Forum
My fiance and I talked about having a small, intimate wedding which is something we both want and not have a big wedding. My thing is that the wedding is in August and I do not want to get married by the courthouse cause I figured that I want to have a ceremony that is simple yet beautiful and I do not get that feeling in a courthouse. However, I do not know if my fiance is quite on board due to money issues and he feels that the courthouse is the cheapest way to go. Don't get me wrong he is not a jerk he does care about our wedding but he is thinking reality for both of us which I understand. However, I want us to have at least a ceremony that we will love and be able to tell our children about and I know I won't love it at the courthouse. Any ideas on where to have just a simple but beautiful outdoor ceremony for 30-50 people on a budget?

Re: Outdoor Wedding on a Budget

• justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

My fiance and I talked about having a small, intimate wedding which is something we both want and not have a big wedding. My thing is that the wedding is in August and I do not want to get married by the courthouse cause I figured that I want to have a ceremony that is simple yet beautiful and I do not get that feeling in a courthouse. However, I do not know if my fiance is quite on board due to money issues and he feels that the courthouse is the cheapest way to go. Don't get me wrong he is not a jerk he does care about our wedding but he is thinking reality for both of us which I understand. However, I want us to have at least a ceremony that we will love and be able to tell our children about and I know I won't love it at the courthouse. Any ideas on where to have just a simple but beautiful outdoor ceremony for 30-50 people on a budget?

You might want to try posting this on your local board, you may get more specific options there. The only things I can think of that would be a possible option regardless of where you are located would be a park or a community center. 
  • I had some friends who got married with a judge is a pretty gazebo in a park.  Then they all went out to a restaurant.  There was about 15 people there.       Maybe you can do something like that?

Or you can find a restaurant that has a nice outdoors area to have the ceremony and lunch?

ditto @justsie on going to your local board too. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thank You for the advice and I will surely move this to my local board :-)
  • My sister was married in a city park shelter in the afternoon.  She borrowed her wedding dress from a friend (nobody knew or cared), a niece played the flute, they served picnic food and sheet cake.  My DH (camera nerd) took pictures.  A Methodist minister was the officiant.  No dancing.  It was a beautiful wedding!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • One of my bridesmaids got married by a judge in the judge's backyard which was on a lake. She used a simple arch purchased at Michael's for decoration, and the food was just appetizers, fruit, cheese and crackers, and cake. I think the whole thing cost about $2,000, and it was lovely. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I have a friend who was married on a small bridge over a creek at a local park, there were maybe 30 people there. They offered light snacks, tea, lemonade and cake in a shelter house nearby. It was simple but still very nice. We are using the backyard of a bed and breakfast. It's in another state so we are paying to stay there for three nights but they are letting us use their yard for the ceremony for no additional cost. 
  • Go visit your local courthouse or those in your direct area - We have some beautiful historic city halls and courthouses here that would be beautiful - even inside the courtrooms - for a ceremony.  The steps of the one many local photographers use them for photo backdrops.  Remember - it's his wedding too, so at least do the due diligence together.  Post this on your local board for options as well as call your local Clerk of Courts to find out what options are for the Judge on-site and potentially off-site.

There are a lot of options, local parks (every city has tiny forgotten little parks that would make great backdrops without breaking the bank. Just be sure there's ample parking and seating for your guests!

• I love the idea of a small wedding in a park or backyard in the afternoon!  There are so many ways you can have a beautiful wedding and stay on budget especially if you keep things simple and get creative with resources :)  There are many boards on here about ways to save money and things you have to have (like chairs for each guest at the ceremony) so I would check those out.  

Also, I know you want outdoor an outdoor wedding but don't automatically rule out other venues!  There are many places to have a ceremony such as community centers, historical mansions (we have one in town where you can rent it for less than $200 for the afternoon), or fire halls and most provide tables & chairs.  Plus, many of our local community centers have outdoor options/gardens but you would still have the indoor venue as a back up in case of rain.  So you would get the best of all worlds :)  

Hosting afterwards doesn't have to be expensive either.  Punch and cake receptions are awesome!  You would need to do the math but punch is inexpensive and there are many delicious recipes out there.  Cake - you can choose to make this yourself which wouldn't cost much, otherwise for 30-50 ppl you would only need at very max a sheet cake (serving 48-108ppl) and our local grocery store (who is doing our cake because their cake tastes better than even the expensive bakeries) sells a full sheet for ~$40 but if you have 48ppl or under you could get away w/ a half sheet which costs ~$20.

Also, ask around to friends and family to see if you can borrow anything else you may need.  Between my mom and I we have over 40 crystal tray and punch glass sets that we have lent to ppl for different events.  Need a dress?  Mix and match a cute skirt and top option or find a sundress on clearance.  Flowers?  Have any friends with a green thumb? Ask if you could pick some from their garden or check out farmers markets if thats not an option.  Also, check out how to have a friend or family get ordained/certified online which is sometimes free (make sure to read the fine print and check with your local gov. system) then all you would have to buy is a nice thank you gift!  Don't forget about automatic expenses such as the license.  I know that we are able to get a discount ($100 I think?) on our license if we have a letter from a clergyman saying we pre-wedding classes.  Our county accepts our online certified officiant to complete and vouch for our pre-wedding classes so we can still get the extra savings :)

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards