Wedding 911

80+ degrees + formal wear/tuxedos = sweaty bridal party

Our formal outdoor ceremony and reception is taking place next weekend, and they are forecasting a high of 80ish degrees for our wedding day, which is about 10 degrees warmer than usual for our wedding city. Our entire wedding is outside and our bridal party is getting ready in an old mansion on the property, which is not air conditioned. We are doing our first look and photos in the afternoon and then our wedding starts at 5 PM. 

My fiance runs naturally hot and gets sweaty easily. He is getting nervous being overly hot/sweaty on our wedding day for pictures. We are going to bring a backup tuxedo shirt and undershirt for him to change into before the ceremony, in case he gets too sweaty doing photos in the afternoon. I have also reached out to the venue to see if we can bring in a few fans to plug in in the mansion (we'll be in the house to get ready and then will be hanging out there for 30-45 minutes pre-ceremony while our guests arrive). 

Any other ideas of how we can make it a little bit more bearable to be in formal wear in warmer temperatures? I feel like it's too late to change out the guys' attire right a week before the wedding (and our wedding is on the more formal side, so full tuxes/suits are the only things that would be appropriate). I'm thinking it will be cooling down by the time our ceremony starts (5 PM), so most of our guests will be fine, but I'm a little concerned about my fiance and the other guys in the bridal party in full tuxedos during the day. 

Re: 80+ degrees + formal wear/tuxedos = sweaty bridal party

• You literally have no plan B? What if it rains? Making your guests sit outside in the heat is just as bad as making them sit in the rain. If it's going to be above 75, you need a plan B.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Our formal outdoor ceremony and reception is taking place next weekend, and they are forecasting a high of 80ish degrees for our wedding day, which is about 10 degrees warmer than usual for our wedding city. Our entire wedding is outside and our bridal party is getting ready in an old mansion on the property, which is not air conditioned. We are doing our first look and photos in the afternoon and then our wedding starts at 5 PM. 

My fiance runs naturally hot and gets sweaty easily. He is getting nervous being overly hot/sweaty on our wedding day for pictures. We are going to bring a backup tuxedo shirt and undershirt for him to change into before the ceremony, in case he gets too sweaty doing photos in the afternoon. I have also reached out to the venue to see if we can bring in a few fans to plug in in the mansion (we'll be in the house to get ready and then will be hanging out there for 30-45 minutes pre-ceremony while our guests arrive). 

Any other ideas of how we can make it a little bit more bearable to be in formal wear in warmer temperatures? I feel like it's too late to change out the guys' attire right a week before the wedding (and our wedding is on the more formal side, so full tuxes/suits are the only things that would be appropriate). I'm thinking it will be cooling down by the time our ceremony starts (5 PM), so most of our guests will be fine, but I'm a little concerned about my fiance and the other guys in the bridal party in full tuxedos during the day. 

This should have been discussed before you all planned the wedding. Is there anything for shade?

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Move your wedding inside. Get ready at home/in the hotel room.
  • Our wedding was the first weekend in May, at 4PM.  The historic house we were married in had air conditioning.  Our first look and pictures started outside in the shade (helped a little, but not much) at 2:30.  It was close to 80 degrees.  It was SO HOT. Ick.

I was so nervous/anxious getting ready and getting into my dress was a project.  I was sweating just getting ready.  

All that to say, if we had had everything else outside and the house had no AC, we would have been completely miserable.  I would strongly advise against this.  Is there any way to get the house to be cool?  Or as PP mentioned, any shade at all?   
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• I don't think there is anything we can do to help you at this point.  Had you asked us earlier, we would have urged you to have a plan B.  It was 105 degrees in Washington, DC, when my daughter was married.  As MOB, my one demand was that everything was indoors with air conditioning.  80ish sounds tolerable.  Buy some paper fans and give them to your guests.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • edited May 2015
    Do you have tents to shield your guests from the sun?

Buy some portable air conditioners for a cool down room. All you need is a window to run these:

Call your local party rental business to see if they have any solutions. 

• Barn fans...    Otherwise, I've got nothing - you could pay your tent rental company for AC/fan service..  But also, if you do have fans running make sure your mic system is turned up enough to accommodate for it.  Otherwise, short sleeve shirts for the guys and relax a little yourselves on the formalness factor.  If you are renting this  stuff, go ahead and call about short sleeved shirts instead of long.  Once the ceremony is over, off with the jackets/ties until the first dance/grand march, then unbuttoned top button if necessary!

• We got married on 9/27 in New York. It ended up being sunny and 75 degrees. Only our ceremony was outside, and it was less than 10 minutes long. By the end, my H and I were sweating like crazy. 

Is there no way to move your event indoors? Having the entire thing outside will be miserable. Is there at least any shade??
  • Our formal outdoor ceremony and reception is taking place next weekend, and they are forecasting a high of 80ish degrees for our wedding day, which is about 10 degrees warmer than usual for our wedding city. Our entire wedding is outside and our bridal party is getting ready in an old mansion on the property, which is not air conditioned. We are doing our first look and photos in the afternoon and then our wedding starts at 5 PM. 

Actually I find that part of the day to be the hottest.  So no, don't count on things cooling down. I went to a wedding once where it was probably high 80s and humid as hell.  It was all outside. We were miserable.  The wedding party was miserable.  The grooms tan tux was soaked through to the point that it looked like he wet himself.  The only time that it started to feel better was when the sun went down and that wasn't until after 8pm.

Do you not have any plan B for in case it rains?  Do you have tents?  Can you rent large fans or portable air conditioners?  If you do have a tent I would recommend getting some sides for it and then blasting the AC in there so at least when it comes time to the reception your guests are headed towards some place cool.

As for your ceremony I would suggest getting large tubs and fill them with ice and bottles of water.  Get some hand fans so that your guests can at least try and cool themselves a bit while they are waiting for the ceremony to start.  And maybe re think your ceremony.  How long is it going to be?  I would try to cut it down to as short as possible so your guests aren't melting in the heat for too long.

And the place you are going to be waiting in before your ceremony doesn't have AC?  Have your wedding party wait in cars or rent a large bus so that they have somewhere to stay that has AC.

Being hot and sweaty for a long period of time sucks.  And it sucks ten times more when you are wearing something other then a t-shirt and shorts.

• Thanks for the feedback and ideas, everyone. 

Our ceremony is short (less than 15 minutes) and we've purchased paper fans for our guests for use during it. We'll also have a beverage greet so guests can get water and iced tea to drink before and during ceremony. The bridal party is moving to get ready in an air conditioned hotel and we are bringing in multiple fans for the pre-ceremony wait in the house. We've also moved our outdoor cocktail hour to a big shady/courtyard location on the property, so the temperature will be more bearable for our guests. Our wedding location (Northern California) is not humid at all and usually has a fair amount of breeze, so I am hoping that will help some with the feeling of the heat. 

Our ceremony is short (less than 15 minutes) and we've purchased paper fans for our guests for use during it. We'll also have a beverage greet so guests can get water and iced tea to drink before and during ceremony. The bridal party is moving to get ready in an air conditioned hotel and we are bringing in multiple fans for the pre-ceremony wait in the house. We've also moved our outdoor cocktail hour to a big shady/courtyard location on the property, so the temperature will be more bearable for our guests. Our wedding location (Northern California) is not humid at all and usually has a fair amount of breeze, so I am hoping that will help some with the feeling of the heat. 

This seriously, honestly is not good enough. A paper fan? Really? You need to move this inside with AC. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever

I know you've gotten used to the idea of droughts out there, but really, what is your plan in case of rain?!?!?! 
  • If it rained, the plan was to tent it, but with the weather we've been having for the last few years, rain was HIGHLY unlikely at this time of year. Our venue has one large indoor space that could also be used as a last resort but it's not really designed for events (it's basically a store/bar). 

The weather on our wedding day is now supposed to be 78 degrees and partly cloudy. I have mentioned being stressed about the temperature to our wedding party, the venue coordinator, and our wedding planner, and no one is concerned about being overly hot at this lower temperature. 

• OP. please come back and tell us how your wedding came off.  I thought about you all this weekend...and CONGRATULATIONS!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards