Wedding Etiquette Forum

Speech dilemma

I could use some advise...My fiancé and I have decided to have a wedding party, but no MOH or Best Man (we just couldn't pick just one).  One of my fiancé's friends has asked to speak, but I am not sure who to ask to give a speech, if anyone.  I am debating either asking two friends (not friends themselves, but both friends of mine) to say something, but don't want to put too much pressure on them.  Or possibly not having any of the bridesmaids speak.  Does anyone have some creative ideas of how to deal with this, or advise as to what to do?

Thanks!

Re: Speech dilemma

• If someone offers, you can take them up on it or say "thanks for offering but we're not having toasts". Key word is 'offer' - it doesn't make sense to ask someone to say something. If they want to offer, they will.

We didn't have toasts at our wedding outside of my dad welcoming people to the reception. Its not necessary at any wedding.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks for your input.  That is how I am feeling, but don't want it to seem odd if none of the bridesmaids speak.  - though also am thinking people might like fewer speeches ;)

• Thanks for your input.  That is how I am feeling, but don't want it to seem odd if none of the bridesmaids speak.  - though also am thinking people might like fewer speeches ;)

It'll be okay :) Nobody will have an awful time at your reception if nobody from your side speaks. Happy planning!

I was the MOH at my sisters wedding.  I absolutely detest talking in front of a large group of people so I told her under no circumstances would I be giving a toast.  She was cool with it.  Her H's BM gave a toast.  I did not.  No one was confused by it or thought it strange.

At my wedding, no one gave a toast.  Again, no one missed it.

So check this off as something that you no longer have to worry about!

• I appreciate your input - thanks!

I was the MOH at my sisters wedding.  I absolutely detest talking in front of a large group of people so I told her under no circumstances would I be giving a toast.  She was cool with it.  Her H's BM gave a toast.  I did not.  No one was confused by it or thought it strange.

At my wedding, no one gave a toast.  Again, no one missed it.

So check this off as something that you no longer have to worry about!
    My MOH didn't give a toast, but BM did. We originally didn't want anyone to do any toasting, but felt a little pressured to let it happen. No big, the toast was fine and I was ridiculously drunk already.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• No one gave a speech at my wedding.  It was fine.
    At my daughter's wedding the only speech was from the groom's brother, who was his best man. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards