Getting in Shape

Anyone on NutriSystem?

Hi GIS board! I have been posting in NEY for a few months now but I just started the NutriSystem program and wanted to come over here to see if anyone is using it?
NS used to have a great community like TK but for some stupid reason they got rid of it. I really like checking in with people who are also doing the program so I figured I would post here.

Thanks!

Re: Anyone on NutriSystem?

• tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Hi...I am not doing Nurtisystems but just started a weight loss program with a dr...its weekly weight ins...it involves a really strict "what and when" you can eat list. I lost 2 inches in about 4 days so I am happy.

Good Luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I personally don't believe in weight loss systems.  I'd much rather eat whole foods and healthy foods.  While I'm not currently losing weight (being pregnant doesn't afford me that option), I haven't gained more than a pound in the past 13 weeks.  Dr is pleased with my progress and said that if my clean eating works, then to continue it.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jenjen047jenjen047 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    @tj&cw - wow that sounds intense! great results though, congrats!

@ohmrs2014 - that's great, but i dont see the point in coming on a thread dedicated to a specific weight loss program and declaring that you dont believe in weight loss systems. congrats, youve found something that works for you. but if this thread doesnt apply to you, i dont understand why you would post on it and why you would post a comment like that.
  • First off, its the internet and you can't tell people when they can't and can post.  That's not how it works.

Aside from Weight Watchers, I personally don't know many people who have had success with systems like NS and even Jenny Craig.  They put the weight right back on after they hit their target weight.  I prefer to eat clean and track my calories.  I find that most of the foods offered with weight loss systems like NS is that there are so many unhealthy additives in the food.

Have you tried Weight Watchers?  Both my mother and sister have found success with that because they are able to eat food they can purchase at the grocery store.  Counting calories wasn't for them, but counting points was a lot easier.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did NS in 2012, hit my goal, and kept the weight off for over 2 years. Thanks.
  • Not sure why you are being so defensive @jenjen047.  I think what ohmrs is saying is pretty good information.  She is allowed to have her opinion (hello internet and discussion forum).  It is fine that you don't agree but you are being rather defensive for no good reason.

And for what its worth, I am with @ohmrs2014.  NutriSystem and JennyCraig are all well and good in the here and now, but once you start eating food you have to buy and make yourself it is a whole different story.  It is great that you were able to keep the weight off but I don't see that as a typical result when people go off such a system.  I am guessing that for those two years that you kept the weight off you ate healthy and worked out.  So yeah NS gave you a jump start but the long term weight loss/maintenance was done solely by you because you watched what you ate and how much you ate and kept active.  In the end if you can do that for 2 years then I really don't see the point of NS except because you want to see immediate results rather then making a permanent lifestyle change. 

• jenjen047jenjen047 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    i do appreciate the tips, and if my post had been something like "hey im looking to lose weight what advice can you give?" they would be completely welcome. but when my post said "hey im looking to find any other people who are doing NS", to come in and say you dont believe in those systems and heres whats worked for you is really not necessary. its just not relevant to the thread, hence my frustration.

it would be like if i had said "i have a golden retreiver and im looking to chat with other golden owners" and someone came on that thread saying why they dont care for golden retrievers. id be thinking ooook then why bother posting on that thread?

i also feel when its something as personal and difficult as weight loss, people should be supportive of whatever method someone chooses to use, not come in and preach about whats bad about one program versus another. obviously ive chosen to do NS so i dont see the benefit in coming in and telling me why you wouldnt use that program.

ETF: formatting
  • jenjen047 said:
    i do appreciate the tips, and if my post had been something like "hey im looking to lose weight what advice can you give?" they would be completely welcome. but when my post said "hey im looking to find any other people who are doing NS", to come in and say you dont believe in those systems and heres whats worked for you is really not necessary. its just not relevant to the thread, hence my frustration.

it would be like if i had said "i have a golden retreiver and im looking to chat with other golden owners" and someone came on that thread saying why they dont care for golden retrievers. id be thinking ooook then why bother posting on that thread?

i also feel when its something as personal and difficult as weight loss, people should be supportive of whatever method someone chooses to use, not come in and preach about whats bad about one program versus another. obviously ive chosen to do NS so i dont see the benefit in coming in and telling me why you wouldnt use that program.

ETF: formatting
    FFS again this is the internet and a discussion forum.  People are allowed to post whatever they want on any thread.  Just because you didn't ask for people's opinions about NS doesn't mean that you aren't going to get them.  Get over it.

And the bolded, give me a break.  This is like saying "But this is my wedding and you don't know me!"  There are more then one way to lose weight and just because myself and ohmrs are not for NS doesn't mean that we don't support the fact that you want to lose weight.  We are just providing you with our opinion as to why we don't like that program.  Maybe it is information you haven't considered before, maybe you have and just don't care.  Again you are being overly defensive for no reason.  You don't like what we have to say then you are free to ignore it, but when you start getting shitty about our right to post what we want even though "you didn't ask that" is out right immature.

• i came into a forum looking for people participating in the same program as i. thats all. i understand its the internet and people can say and do whatever they like, the same goes for real life too. but would you walk into a Jenny Craig meeting and say "i dont believe in JC"? you are entitled to do that....but you probably wouldnt expect the people in the meeting to take very kindly to that and you might get a version of the same response i gave here. i dont see how thats immature, and thats essentially what happened here.

i didnt mean that you guys weren't being supportive of my weight loss, so i apologize if it came across that way. i meant that the comments were un-supportive of the program i have chosen.

like you said, there are many different ways to lose weight. the method someone chooses is often a very personal choice and therefore i think a lot of people would get defensive about it. to offer unsolicited opinions about a program i have already selected and begun just doesnt feel productive to me.
  • jenjen047 said:
    i came into a forum looking for people participating in the same program as i. thats all. i understand its the internet and people can say and do whatever they like, the same goes for real life too. but would you walk into a Jenny Craig meeting and say "i dont believe in JC"? you are entitled to do that....but you probably wouldnt expect the people in the meeting to take very kindly to that and you might get a version of the same response i gave here. i dont see how thats immature, and thats essentially what happened here.

i didnt mean that you guys weren't being supportive of my weight loss, so i apologize if it came across that way. i meant that the comments were un-supportive of the program i have chosen.

like you said, there are many different ways to lose weight. the method someone chooses is often a very personal choice and therefore i think a lot of people would get defensive about it. to offer unsolicited opinions about a program i have already selected and begun just doesnt feel productive to me.
    You realize that there are lurkers who read these boards so they also may appreciate opinions that are for and/or against certain weight loss programs which is why complaining about how we came on a thread and said "we don't like that" even though you didn't specifically ask for it is silly.  It is a discussion board.  People discuss things.  You want to use NS.  Okay.  I don't like it.  Okay.  We both stated our opinions about it.  Which is beneficial for anyone who is reading this thread.

And no, this is not the same as me walking into a JC meeting and saying that I don't like the program.  I am on an open, public forum where discussions are encouraged.

And no, not a lot of people will get defensive about it.  I feel like people only get defensive about things because others have made good points but the original poster does not want to admit it. If you love the program and like how it works for you then I don't get being so defensive when two people disagree with it.  It would be like if you love wearing huge neon green hats every day and then some people are "I don't like neon green hats" and you getting all defensive about it.  We all have our opinions and it is fine to disagree but to get so bent out of shape because of what two people on the internet said is kind of ridiculous don't you think?

And again, that word unsoliciated...if you don't want opinions that don't validate your decisions then maybe it is not a good idea to post on a public forum.

• fair enough, we can agree to disagree then.
  • As the risk of sounding snarky, can I ask why you're on NS again if you're at your goal weight?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • i kept the weight off for over 2 years but over the last few months i have put some of it back on :(
  • jenjen047 said:
    i kept the weight off for over 2 years but over the last few months i have put some of it back on :(
    I was just curious - thanks for answering. Good luck getting - and keeping - it off with however you go about it. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    jenjen047 its stress. I have gained weight since getting engaged and the wedding planning started. I lost a lot of weight right before we started dating...to me doing some kind of weight loss program is a great way to say on track and for me it is someone who gives praise and a hard time that is not family or FI. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @tj&cw i honestly wondered if it was my change in BC that caused the gain. i was on the pill for 11 years and in january got an IUD  and after that it was like the weight flew on even though i didnt feel like i changed my eating/exercise habits (in fact probably started getting more exercise since i also started a new job around that time that requires me to walk 1 mile each way to the office as opposed to driving like i used to do at my old job). im talking like 10-12 pounds in 2 months. very strange.

oh well, im excited to be back on NS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards